Question About Schiphol Airport After Cruise

I will be returning from my Crystal cruise this July from Amsterdam.  I will be arriving and staying overnight at the Sheraton Airport Hotel for my flight in the morning.  It is my understanding that there is a covered walkway between the Hotel and the terminal that involves a 2 to 5 minute walk.  My concern is making that walk with all of my luggage and what difficulties I might have.  Is anyone familiar with the walkway and is it possible to get a porter after claiming my luggage on arrival and using a bellhop in the morning for my departure to help going through the walkway.  Appreciate any input anyone has who is familiar with this walkway connection.

I have stayed at the Hilton at Schiphol and used the walkway humping one piece of luggage, a handbag and a briefcase.  It was a haul, but not soooo difficult, and I am old.

I did a dry run (without luggage) once I checked into the hotel, to get my bearings.

I would suggest you follow up with travelberlin’s webpage.

I have stayed at the Schiphol Sheraton and Hilton many times. The Sheraton is much closer to the terminal and check in. I usually travel with a larger wheeled suitcase and a smaller back pack and I'm in reasonably good shape.

It is certainly doable to get from the Sheraton to the check in areas or vice versa. You will need to take an elevator or an escalator type ramp down to the large reception/shopping area at Schiphol, cross it, and then take an elevator or a escalator type ramp back up to the check in area.

To get across the reception/shopping area in Schiphol to the Sheraton or vice versa is probably 300 - 400 meters (or yards). Usually you are dodging a fair number of other passengers also. There's also a train station under the reception/shopping area with passengers moving about in the area prior to boarding.

If you have more than 1 wheeled suitcase or un-wheeled suitcases per person. I would try to get a porter at arrival and ask for a Sheraton bell hop to help you on departure.

Thank you for your responses.  The porter link Travel Berlin provided indicates that you can hire a porter but the minimum rate seems to be 145 euros which is quite steep.  Are there porters available in the baggage claim area that can be had for a reasonable fee?  I have seen postings on another board that you can use the baggage trolley available in baggage claim and use it to carry the luggage all the way to the hotel itself after arrival and presumably you can get one for departure the next morning or perhaps get a bellhop to help you get to the terminal entrance. .

I plan to try to contact the hotel directly but I need to get a contact number or email address that doesn't involve international calling.

The Sheraton isn’t any less or more by foot than your average large international airport walking distances. Schiphol has plenty of free airport style luggage carts, you can take one all the way from outside the hotel to the check in counter. Stack your luggage, push down the handle bar and “pardon! Dank u!” as you go.

Please forget about the paid porter service, besides over sized luggage or sports teams I have never ever seen anybody using it. There is a paid meet and greet service which expedites some check points but it’s the same price range. Schiphol is very easy to navigate!

I can’t help but feel you’re overthinking this. The walk from the Sheraton to the check in counters is not more difficult than the average walk from the entrance of an airport to the check in desks. If you stay at the Sheraton, you’re basically already in the airport and you won’t be the only one with luggage. Just grab one of the free luggage trolleys and off you go. 
If you’re really anxious, you can do a test run without luggage the night before departure to see where you need to go.

• Like 1

Thank you for the additional responses  The fact that you can use the baggage trolleys all the way to the hotel is helpful.  I'm more concerned with my arrival the day before and going from the baggage claim area to the hotel and it sounds like I can use the baggage trolley all the way.  I'm still a little confused as to whether or not you have to go outside and cross the street when going between the two locations.

7 minutes ago, jssabs said:

I'm more concerned with my arrival the day before and going from the baggage claim area to the hote

I don’t understand what you mean. I thought you arrived in Amsterdam from a cruise ship and flew out from Amsterdam the next day. Now it seems you’re flying into Amsterdam?

2 hours ago, Dutch_Travelgirl said:

I don’t understand what you mean. I thought you arrived in Amsterdam from a cruise ship and flew out from Amsterdam the next day. Now it seems you’re flying into Amsterdam?

Yes, I am flying in to make my connection to the US.  Sorry about the confusion. 

6 hours ago, jssabs said:

Thank you for the additional responses  The fact that you can use the baggage trolleys all the way to the hotel is helpful.  I'm more concerned with my arrival the day before and going from the baggage claim area to the hotel and it sounds like I can use the baggage trolley all the way.  I'm still a little confused as to whether or not you have to go outside and cross the street when going between the two locations.

Yup, just the opposite way. All indoors. The Baggage Reclaim (Arrivals) halls all connect to the central Plaza area (with underneath it the Schiphol railway station). Near the Plaza exits is an elevated and covered/indoor walkway across the street to the Sheraton and parking garages and Hilton hotels.

Maps: https://www.schiphol.nl/en/airport-maps

Also see this Sheraton clip below which starts at exiting Arrivals Hall 3 after Customs, directly into the Plaza (shops and food), across the open area of Plaza and up the walkway to the covered walkway. When departing it's vice versa, you will need to go up one floor after Plaza to the Departures 1, 2 or 3 which are on the floor above the corresponding Arrivals/Baggage Reclaim halls. The Plaza is also good for a snack, some groceries or gifts. The Sheraton has a restaurant.