MIDNIGHT BUFFET ON THE CELEBRATION

14 minutes ago, aborgman said:

My expectation from Carnival's bargain-priced product is not top of the line food - especially at something called "Late Night Snacks"  - but my expectation is "better than prison food".

We're not talking about top of the line quality.

We're not talking Chik-Fil-A quality.

We're not talking McDonalds quality.

We're not even talking Cisco/Gordon Foods chicken nuggets poured out of freezer bag and undercooked quality.

We're talking - a can of cat food is more suited for human consumption quality.

...and I'm NOT picky about food, and am generally impressed by the food quality Carnival provides.

On my last cruise I ordered a cheesesteak from the deli. The crew member open the sandwich after cooking it to feel the temperature, she knew it was still frozen inside and served it to me anyway. The meat was gray and tasted like cat food.

So yeah if we could get a few steps above prison food that would be great.

15 minutes ago, mz-s said:

On my last cruise I ordered a cheesesteak from the deli. The crew member open the sandwich after cooking it to feel the temperature, she knew it was still frozen inside and served it to me anyway. The meat was gray and tasted like cat food.

So yeah if we could get a few steps above prison food that would be great.

I've never been to prison but I have tasted wet cat food (accidentally) and I'm still amazed at how my kitties line up to chow down on it.  Not a good taste!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I've never been to prison but I have tasted wet cat food (accidentally) and I'm still amazed at how my kitties line up to chow down on it.  Not a good taste!

Yep - I was going to explain how I had tasted cat food, but I figured that cat owners would get it no explanation necessary!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mz-s said:

Good point. It's only an issue for those of us who have cruised Carnival for years and know what they're capable of.

You keep saying that.  I think it is time to accept that things have changed from years ago.

Edited to add: I think the food on Carnival is actually about 3 steps above the food on Royal Caribbean.  Food is subjective.  I found the chicken tenders to be on par with things I've gotten at many other places, and I'll say again, I thought they were actually pretty good.  If food snobs want to think think that is low-class, then by all means, they can do so.

I've never been served a cold sandwich that tasted like cat food, but maybe you had a bad experience.  I would tend to think the good experience outnumber the bad (this is my own personal experience), but possibly your subjective scale is different than mine, and that is okay.  

However, if my subjective scale tipped as negative as yours, on Carnival, I wouldn't continue to select Carnival as my cruise line.

Edited by StephPS79
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, StephPS79 said:

Edited to add: I think the food on Carnival is actually about 3 steps above the food on Royal Caribbean.  Food is subjective. 

Food is subjective - and as I noted in my last post, I generally think Carnival has really good food.

Almost every meal I had in the MDR was good to great. Guy's Burgers were good. Shaq's Chicken was great. Loved the Blue Iguana tacos. Had a great meal at the Steakhouse. Chibang! was a kind of meh, but the quality was fine.

...but those "chicken" "tenders" made high school cafeteria chicken nuggets look like a filet mignon from Ruth's Chris.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, StephPS79 said:

You keep saying that.  I think it is time to accept that things have changed from years ago.

Edited to add: I think the food on Carnival is actually about 3 steps above the food on Royal Caribbean.  Food is subjective.  I found the chicken tenders to be on par with things I've gotten at many other places, and I'll say again, I thought they were actually pretty good.  If food snobs want to think think that is low-class, then by all means, they can do so.

I've never been served a cold sandwich that tasted like cat food, but maybe you had a bad experience.  I would tend to think the good experience outnumber the bad (this is my own personal experience), but possibly your subjective scale is different than mine, and that is okay.  

However, if my subjective scale tipped as negative as yours, on Carnival, I wouldn't continue to select Carnival as my cruise line.

I don't think that wanting properly cooked, fresh food is being a food snob, but each to their own.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 3

On 3/15/2024 at 5:18 PM, Captain Zippyjet said:

I posted a review of my cruise on the Celebration. First off I hope and expect to sail her again this September. I'm very objective and point out the positive and needs improvement facts with humor.

Now to my thread. Surprisingly, I haven't seen any reviews on the Celebration Midnight Buffet. Not to be a Karen or Morris the finiky cat... But, though I'm glad its back the food barely cracks 2 stars. The midnight "barffet chow" smells awful. Like a K Mart Cafeteria. This dining option brought my review of the Celebration down one star. The pizza looked like it was frozen instead of Miami Slice. The chicken tenders looked and smelled awful. My fellow cruisers...please share your feedback. The main buffet and MDR food were a solid four stars. I'm hoping the Midnight Buffet food becomes the cuisine across the board. Carnival don't even think about it. 🙂 My cat's reaction to my reaction of the Midnight "Barffet!"

Hi - You mentioned you posted a review of your cruise on the Celebration - can you link if for me?  I'd like to read it please!  Thank you!!  

Posted (edited)

wrcj98.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=713074.

I hope you enjoy my review. I tried to be objective. BTW my inside cabin 10387 is a standard mid ship interior not a spa cabin. 

I hope to sail on the Celebration this upcoming September. The itinerary includes my 2nd. Best port Rotan Mahogny Bay. Love the chair lift that takes you to the beach. My fave Carnival port Grand Turk.

I did buy the Cloud Nine access.

Edited by Captain Zippyjet
Added more information.

6 minutes ago, Captain Zippyjet said:

wrcj98.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=713074.

I hope you enjoy my review. I tried to be objective. BTW my inside cabin 10387 is a standard mid ship interior not a spa cabin. 

I hope to sail on the Celebration this upcoming September. The itinerary includes my 2nd. Best port Rotan Mahogny Bay. Love the chair lift that takes you to the beach. My fave Carnival port Grand Turk.

I did buy the Cloud Nine access.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/ships/slideshow-cabin-members.php?ship=Carnival-Celebration&cabin=10387.

Pics of my cabin Its a 4 N or 4 O. I have trouble figuring the cabin codes. 🙂

Im a night owl, but I also appreciate good food.  Had this buffet on the Celebration the first or second week it was available and it was kind of underwhelming as well.  It was okay for a break from late-night pizza, but it wasnt really that great.  The chicken tenders and hot dogs were probably the best thing, the buffet pizza was was worse than most store bought brands (Jacks for instance is way better).  I don't expect a MDR experience, but a little better on the quality, maybe not things I could just get in bulk at Gordon's Foods, would be a nice option. 

• Like 2

The midnight buffet is and never will be like it once was. It is in line with the lunch buffet. Pitiful. 🤮 The cost cutting measures are apparent but there is nothing we can do. Maybe the beards will listen to their customer base.