MIDNIGHT BUFFET ON THE CELEBRATION

We were on Valor over Mardi Gras and were fine with the late night items. We could not be the only ones because there were always people in line to fill their plates. The lines were not long and it did not take long. I enjoyed the hot dogs, meatball sandwiches, and the chicken soup. I did not think I was going to enjoy the soup but I did. It was good to have an option that did not cost a fee. Although there was a specialty pizza my husband ordered a few times that had a charge he did not mind paying. He loved it! 

• Like 1

it's not called a midnight buffet, it's called late night snacks and is same across the fleet.  I agree not high caliber food, but a late nite hot dog with soup has hit the spot some late nights for me.  

• Like 2

Yeah, late night snacks are kinda weak but after 15 long islands....a hot dog with lots of mustard tastes gooooooooooddddddd.

But really, this is one area I wish Carnival would match NCL and their Osheehans\The Local.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, mz-s said:

The midnight buffet of old is gone, never coming back. The only thing this has in common with it is it is served at around the same time.

This buffet is actually called late night snacks in the fun times.

Exactly my point.  People are calling it the midnight buffet, expecting the same as a midnight buffet (even though its not) and getting upset about it.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Exactly my point.  People are calling it the midnight buffet, expecting the same as a midnight buffet (even though its not) and getting upset about it.  

I don't think people are comparing it to the old midnight buffet, if they are then heaven help them. Even compared to the regular dinner or lunch buffet, the late night snacks buffet is sorely lacking. Better than nothing is the best thing you can say about late night snacks.

• Like 2

Carnival has started referring to this as a midnight buffet rather than late night snacks. Those who remember actual midnight buffets like myself find that calling this a buffet super misleading but i am ok with the offering. Some nights I just want a taste of something, not alot. I finds the chicken is okayish but I like to go for the tortilla chips and pico, thats my jam and I don't have to wait in the long pizza line to get a little nosh.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Expressman said:

Carnival has started referring to this as a midnight buffet rather than late night snacks. Those who remember actual midnight buffets like myself find that calling this a buffet super misleading but i am ok with the offering. Some nights I just want a taste of something, not alot. I finds the chicken is okayish but I like to go for the tortilla chips and pico, thats my jam and I don't have to wait in the long pizza line to get a little nosh.

Since it started back, I've only seen it referenced as late night snacks. When I made my comment earlier, I put "midnight buffet" is quotes because that's not what it actually is. It truly is late night snacks. If we want to be 100% honest the ships have always pretty much done it since the actual buffet went away. It just wasn't advertised at all. Before it started being advertised I've stumbled upon it headed late to pizza or ice cream. I'm not sure again why so many think it needs to be a gourmet set up. Chips and some Pico are prefect for me although I miss the fresh cut chips they used to have for the Mexican buffet. The chicken is the same chicken tenders Carnival has been serving for years. 

1 hour ago, cacruisin said:

Is there anywhere I can see a menu of what is served at this Midnight buffet/snack/inedibles?  

Think of a menu for 4-8 year olds.

"Chicken" bits

Sandwiches

cookies

Makes ok drunk food.I found myself ordering room service. Charge me the $8 please. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

No one has said they expect the quality and bredth of the midnight buffets from 20 years ago.  However the reality is that the the quality of the midnight snacks is below any other food I've seen currently served onboard.  The people that are perfectly content eating chicken gristle and cheap hot dogs on stale buns are the same ones who'd be happy to eat corn flakes, bologna sandwiches, and hot dog spaghetti if that made or kept their cruise price cheaper.

Good thing there are several options available, such as:

Pass on late night snacks and eat other options on the ship that you enjoy.

Skip food that doesn’t appeal to you.

Choose another cruise line with higher prices and “better” food options that might fit your preferences better.

…just to name a few.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/19/2024 at 7:26 AM, kdr69 said:

As long as Carnival doesn't filter down the low quality late nught snacks to the Lido Buffet and God Forbid MDR I'm glad ita there for those who don't mind eating KMart cafeteria food. 

On my two MSC cruises the late night snacks weren't half bad and also served in Lido Buffet.

• Like 1

Think of a menu for 4–8-year-olds in a government run special institution. The ones where the smell from hell grabs while queuing up for mystery meat. The institution that makes it on the evening news for health code violations. I've never been in an eating area that was pretty clean like on the Celebration but smelled like roach cafe.

The conspiracy theory in me feels this may be an experiment by the cruise line to see if passengers would throw down food of questionable at best quality as the new culinary standard. If you put it out, they'll come and graze. If this was served in the MDR, many would give it the paw (yuck) and some would eat it like there's no tomorrow.

Simons Cat Discord Emojis - Simons Cat Emojis For Discord

• Haha 1

Maybe Carnival is testing just how low their clientele's standards are. They'll eat gristly "chicken fingers" that are mostly breading without much complaint. What's next? Top Ramen on the dinner buffet?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/18/2024 at 10:28 AM, StephPS79 said:

We're talking about chicken tenders, right?  The thing that's usually on most kids menus?  

I'm not sure what one expects from "chicken tenders"

I expect that they'll be made from... chicken tenders.

Carnival's chicken "tenders" aren't.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, AllgoodOnTheRoad said:

It certainly is not fine dining, but people seemed to appreciate it. 

THANK YOU for showing what is actually served...while doesn't look super yummy....late night fries and chips can always hit the spot.

Edited by cacruisin

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, aborgman said:

I expect that they'll be made from... chicken tenders.

Carnival's chicken "tenders" aren't.

This brings me back to the main point.  Reviewing expectations vs. product is a good idea.  

My expectation from Carnival's bargain-priced product is not top of the line food, especially at something called "Late Night Snacks." 

Edited by StephPS79
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, StephPS79 said:

This brings me back to the main point.  Reviewing expectations vs. product is a good idea.  

My expectation from Carnival's bargain-priced product is not top of the line food, especially at something called "Late Night Snacks." 

My expectation from Carnival's bargain-priced product is not top of the line food - especially at something called "Late Night Snacks"  - but my expectation is "better than prison food".

We're not talking about top of the line quality.

We're not talking Chik-Fil-A quality.

We're not talking McDonalds quality.

We're not even talking Cisco/Gordon Foods chicken nuggets poured out of freezer bag and undercooked quality.

We're talking - a can of cat food is more suited for human consumption quality.

...and I'm NOT picky about food, and am generally impressed by the food quality Carnival provides.

1 hour ago, StephPS79 said:

Good point. It's only an issue for those of us who have cruised Carnival for years and know what they're capable of.

• Like 4