Silver Muse Wifi

jgmc

Well i have done a cruise report from the Muse using just the basic internet. It was with hundreds of photos uploaded and posted. I didn't feel a need to pay for premium.

However if you are into streaming you probably need the premium service.

I will be boarding the Muse again in 2 days time.

1 hour ago, jgmc said:

For anyone on the Silver Muse or has sailed recently on the Muse, how is the wifi?  Is the premium worth it?

I agree with @drron29.  I did a trip report and loaded plenty of photos only using the included WiFi.  One fellow had premium so he could do all sorts of technical things with photos.

No need to book in advance, anyway.  See how you go once onboard, and then decide.

Posted (edited)

Some high bandwidth sites inc. places like YouTube are blocked on the regular wifi.

It's good enough for email and basic web browsing and doing photos as Dr Ron said (if you have the patience) but I always buy the premium because I don't like being irritated by the inability to access a site or if the speed is too slow to make it worthwhile.

Many would disagree with that but it's my holiday, my choice, I want to enjoy rather than be irritated.

One thing to consider - if you buy the premium for the whole voyage at the start, it's about $20 per day. Thereafter it's about $30 per day.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GrumpySushiBear said:

I read somewhere (but can’t find it again) that you are limited to one device connected to wifi if you are on basic? Is this true? 

It's one device at a time per passenger (not per cabin). Have never had any trouble using phone and iPad - can easily switch between them - when you access one, it disconnects the other if it is already logged on. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Aussieflyer said:

It's one device at a time per passenger (not per cabin). Have never had any trouble using phone and iPad - can easily switch between them - when you access one, it disconnects the other if it is already logged on. 

Thanks! I was worried I would be locked in. Though if paying for the premium upfront for the whole cruise is only 20 a day then we might just do that instead of picking and choosing. We have 5 consecutive sea days that I was planning to squeeze in some work and was going to only buy on those days. (I know that cost could change and coverage could be bad for transpacific). My camera’s raw files are 40 mb each so going to be good to be able to back those up whenever instead of stressing to optimize a day. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GrumpySushiBear said:

Thanks! I was worried I would be locked in. Though if paying for the premium upfront for the whole cruise is only 20 a day then we might just do that instead of picking and choosing. We have 5 consecutive sea days that I was planning to squeeze in some work and was going to only buy on those days. (I know that cost could change and coverage could be bad for transpacific). My camera’s raw files are 40 mb each so going to be good to be able to back those up whenever instead of stressing to optimize a day. 

It is only something like $25-$30 for the whole cruise to add a second device. I found that useful for photos taken on the iPhone to sync with my iPad for posting on CC.  I was on two B2B cruises, booked together as one trip, and was only charged once.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Port Power said:

It is only something like $25-$30 for the whole cruise to add a second device. I found that useful for photos taken on the iPhone to sync with my iPad for posting on CC.  I was on two B2B cruises, booked together as one trip, and was only charged once.

Oooo thanks for the tip! We’ll do that too!

Yes, the regular wifi is just for one device but as stated it's not much to pay to add a second device.

You get either four or six devices on the premium (can't remember), for the $20 per day full voyage or $30 per 24hrs. No extra payment required.

• Thanks 1