Viking Luggage Tags to Different Address?

Gallivant70

I am so grateful to this informative community, thank you!

I am joining my relatives for my first Rhine Cruise this spring. My primary residence is US based, however I am overseas for extended work and won't be back in the US before the cruise. I understand Viking will ship my luggage tags to my primary address ~ 2 weeks beforehand. Does anyone have experience asking Viking to ship them somewhere else? I have someone forwarding essential mail, but there are some logistical concerns. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I booked Viking River cruise through a travel agency, would Viking send my luggage tags and travel day emergency phone number to my home address or to my travel agency?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, HSBC said:

I booked Viking River cruise through a travel agency, would Viking send my luggage tags and travel day emergency phone number to my home address or to my travel agency?

We called Viking and asked that luggage tags be sent to our home instead of the agency.  They said no problem.

• Thanks 2

You can have them sent elsewhere.  Viking don't want them going astray...

We don't care about the red leather luggage tags that they send because we have some 15+ of them sitting in a drawer.

We just want the temp ones that you put on your luggage at the final destination so Viking Crew can identify and get your luggage to your cabin.  We have landed without these in the past and it is a bit of a surprise that those greeting us at the airport don't have blanks that they can use, and the last time it was a bit of a scramble to get some sort of sticker on our luggage to identify it.

Posted (edited)

FYI, for those of us with international addresses, the package of tags and final documents is sent via a three-legged pack mule, paddleless canoe or some other very slow means of transport.  Ours were supposedly mailed five weeks prior to our pre-stay for our current cruise, and we didn’t get them before we left.  Pre-stay hotel Viking reps did not have tags either, so we had to wait until the port to do them.

If you really want the tags, maybe have them sent to your home address for your mail pickup person to courier to you?

Otherwise, plan to tag your bags at the port, or DIY some cabin number stickers.

Edited by bookbabe
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, bookbabe said:

FYI, for those of us with international addresses, the package of tags and final documents is sent via a three-legged pack mule, paddleless canoe or some other very slow means of transport.  Ours were supposedly mailed five weeks prior to our pre-stay for our current cruise, and we didn’t get them before we left.  Pre-stay hotel Viking reps did not have tags either, so we had to wait until the port to do them.

If you really want the tags, maybe have them sent to your home address for your mail pickup person to courier to you?

Otherwise, plan to tag your bags at the port, or DIY some cabin number stickers.

Not sure if you consider Canada an international address (it is but...) but we receive our tags very prompty.

However the packaging that Viking now mails or couriers these in, have been broken open 2 out of three times with the last ones sent.  It is some kind of small envelop with a "zipper" type pull to open and this has been open on arrival.

There is nothing in there of consequence, however not a secure mailing method.  

We have reported this to Viking.

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Not sure if you consider Canada an international address (it is but...) but we receive our tags very prompty.

However the packaging that Viking now mails or couriers these in, have been broken open 2 out of three times with the last ones sent.  It is some kind of small envelop with a "zipper" type pull to open and this has been open on arrival.

There is nothing in there of consequence, however not a secure mailing method.  

We have reported this to Viking.

Nope, not considering Canada to be international in this case, as mail headed there from the US doesn’t take much longer than US domestic mail, maybe a couple of days extra.  Mail to Cayman, where I now live, takes a minimum of six weeks, but usually closer to eight, to get to me from either the US or Canada.  Still no sign of the luggage tags for the Viking cruise I boarded almost a week ago, according to our house sitter.  I never once thought I’d miss Canada Post.

And sending paper luggage tags by parcel post, as Regent does, usually ends up with me having to pay duty on them, with customs just arbitrarily assigning a value.  Cost me $2 in duty (plus 30 min in line) to get my paper luggage tags for our last cruise, not a huge deal, but hassle enough that I almost prefer the print-it-yourself ones from some other cruise lines.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...