Getaway arriving late tommorrow??

Yeah, I'm leaving tomorrow and no mention of this except on another website....thank god, I got the text and confirmed it online..yeah, apparently, it's a technical issue and the Manhattan Terminal only opens at 3pm for boarding...ruins embarkation but not the trip, I hope!

the third sunday in march, the getaway traditionally holds its annual cookie and hash brown hunt. the staff hides cookies and hash browns throughout the ship and guests are invited to search for them. it's a lot of fun for the kids, but the older folks like it, too, as it engenders a warm nostalgic feeling of times gone by, while bringing different generations of families together. this year, the hunt is extra special, as they've added splits of veuve to the mix, so participation - and competition - among the older crowd is expected to be fierce. also new this year, for the young'uns, is the costume character "Free at Sea Bee," who will have old and young unlike all abuzz as he randomly distributes free internet minutes and dining vouchers.

also this year, the hunt falls on a disembarkation/embarkation day and that has caused problems, delaying arrival. but the crew also needs extra time for cleaning. those hockey pucks can be greasy! and have you ever tried to get melted chocolate chip cookies out of a lounge chair?

this will affect arrival and disembarkation schedules, and will cause crowding in the terminal, but NCL is still expected to leave very close to departure time, only about an hour late. still, they will not let anybody onboard until every hash brown is locked down.

• Haha 12

Posted (edited)

Ooops ... looking at Windy App, live shipcam & Cruisemapper, etc. to make a semi - uninformed guess, let's see:  she's doing about 17 kts. which is fine for fuel savings but not to make up for lost time/distance needed to travel ...  No apparent diversion for medevac or other emergencies.  She's crossing a weatherfront, transitioning from headwind to tailwind, should be a plus on gaining a bit extra speed to move a little faster.  A technical issue typically translate with engine/azipod experiencing an event onboard, perhaps running on max with just 3 out of 4 systems - giving it full speed to push along.  

Those expecting to disembark in the morning with "tight" airline or ground transfer connections, gotta be in a bit of panic ... errr, crisis mode onboard.  Thus, it is more than embarkation delays - not to mention, a fully jammed pack MCT at Pier 88 by late morning - can be sure that some will not get or see the text alert, voice notification or email blast to caution folks to delay their arrival.  

Weather is good in metro NY area, aside from St. Pattie's Parade in Manhattan (Fifth Ave ... I believe) 

@Suetravel  Happy cruising tomorrow, enjoy & have a great time - perhaps, a semi-live from you ... haha.  Ours getting closer ... a matter of weeks away.  

Edited by mking8288

4 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Weather is good in metro NY area, aside from St. Pattie's Parade in Manhattan (Fifth Ave ... I believe) 

yes, it's on fifth avenue, but it was held today, saturday, march 16th. they do that sometimes... change the date, for a variety of reasons.

(probably moved it so as not conflict with the cookie and hash brown hunt. the city could not possibly accommodate the crowds from both on one day.)

there won't be any parade traffic at all, however, the NYC half marathon is tomorrow, 3/17, and some streets from times square to central park will be closed.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, UKstages said:

there won't be any parade traffic at all, however, the NYC half marathon is tomorrow, 3/17, and some streets from times square to central park will be closed.

Ha ... that'll be just as bad or good as one can expect ... think positive, could've been a late winter blizzard or snow storm in mid March.

Her speed is down by 1 to just 16 knots ... should be pushing faster if and only if they have all 4 engines ... otherwise, if they only got 3 out of 4 running - ship just about max'd out, speed-wise.  Carnival Legend, closer to VA/MD coastline is pushing nicely along at 21 kts so strong headwind and/or ocean current isn't really their obstacles - seas at 1.5 meter with a nice sea breeze.  

Digging into marinetraffic data, she left Puerto Plata 2 days ago, reported speed of 20.3 kts heading for NY before going out of AIS tracking range ... ETA into NY is showing 10:00 tomorrow (UTC -4:00)   Will be a nice sunset sailaway down the Hudson ... now that it's DST.  

Edited by mking8288

Hi Henry

How did you know I am sailing tomorrow? The terminal will be a mad rush and crowds. Not looking forward to that.

Would love to cruise a future cruise with you and the family.

Announcement onboard said we are sailing at reduced speed “due to a technical issue which has impacted the speed” of the ship. ETA now 12:30pm with self-assist disembarkation to begin at 1:30, though must vacate staterooms by 10:30. The final call to exit the ship is 3:30pm. They opened up free internet to rebook travel arrangements and will reimburse up to $300pp for any airline imposed fees not covered by travel insurance. I hope they will honor this for my Amtrak reservations. Arrival time was not certain when they made the announcement so I gave upon rebooking train tickets and booked a 1-way rental from EWR. Folks onboard seem to be taking it in stride.

• Thanks 1

wow.

if it's anything like a standard arrival day, all restaurants and bars will be closed after breakfast... as will most of the public venues. there's not going to be many places for 4000 people to hang out on the ship. the good news for those embarking is it sounds like rooms will be ready by the time they'll be onboard, or soon thereafter. and the ship may leave close to scheduled departure time, depending on how long it takes to load new passengers, goods and freight.

speaking of which, i walked by the west side highway in manhattan earlier this evening. there are already a bunch of trucks in queue waiting to unload... it's going to be a very long night for them.

@Suetravel - not that difficult, spotted the post about the GA's possible mishap & then, making a wild guess about your posted comment - and figured out by looking further into the roll call.  We had hoped for possibly booking a last minute GA this winter, but gave up with shrinking inventory & prices, etc.   Anyway, as you knew already, going TA next month and if you have about 2 weeks worth of vacation time this Fall (plus 2 or 3 days for homebound return) the mid-sized & older ship that we haven't sailed on ... has great prices, 14 nights.  Chat elsewhere on details if you think.  Not too happy with NCL's choices & options this winter and next year for the N.E. - looking ahead for 2025, which is something that we don't normally do.  

Oops, sorry for side chats - just seeing the live post onboard, delayed arrival & times are likely going to be their best ballpark numbers ... yike.  Looks like you don't need to rush across the Hudson and pack ... plenty of patience, maybe some snacks.  

14 minutes ago, UKstages said:

wow.

if it's anything like a standard arrival day, all restaurants and bars will be closed after breakfast... as will most of the public venues. there's not going to be many places for 4000 people to hang out on the ship. the good news for those embarking is it sounds like rooms will be ready by the time they'll be onboard, or soon thereafter. and the ship may leave close to scheduled departure time, depending on how long it takes to load new passengers, goods and freight.

speaking of which, i walked by the west side highway in manhattan earlier this evening. there are already a bunch of trucks in queue waiting to unload... it's going to be a very long night for them.

They’ve adjusted schedules. Garden Cafe is open 7-11, then 11:30-3:00 for lunch; O’Sheehan’s just for breakfast. Savor & Taste are open for breakfast and lunch. I’m guessing more passengers than might otherwise do so will use self-assist disembarkation to make rebooked connections. It’s going to be a madhouse!

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Suetravel said:

... should do a side chat. Not sure how that works

Nope, not thru CC - indirectly but let's do that when you get home after Bermuda next week ... 

Meanwhile, just looked at the CC roll call section for tomorrow - wow, nothing going on with a handful of posts.  We have a very active roll call & building momentum, close to 100 thus far for M&G (not running it, someone else is - doing "logistical" support help with the roster, lots of good folks on it)  Drop in there next Sunday when you get back - check out the linked sheet ... is last minute travel an option ?  

Embarking pax were alerted about tomorrow's delay before pax currently onboard were informed by the captain this morning ... NCL communications, what can I say - right, they run the operations.  GA still not pushing faster than 16 kts and they now definitely have the tailwind - not strong and ocean current also in the ship's favorite, south to north.  Hopefully, steering & azipod isn't going to be an issue docking, thankfully - NY has plenty of tugboats & can get called in to assist the pilot & captain to safely bring her "home".  

Posted (edited)

Made the news already - https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cruise-ship-delayed-due-to-technical-issue/126306

Safe travel for all this morning ... latest on the Getaway, south of Sandy Hook area off NJ shoreline at just under 10 kts, ETA is 12:00 but as late as 14:00 calculated per her speed. Should pickup the pilot boat soon. 

Screenshot_20240317-085409.png

Engineers and maintenance ... bring them in 😬  

Edited by mking8288

We’re on the Getaway’s next sailing, March 24th-31st, so I’ll be keeping an eye on this. 

Hopefully, whatever the issue is, they can get it corrected without too much impact to the itineraries planned. 

Obviously, she won’t be departing New York on schedule, but I’m curious whether they will keep her at the pier longer (overnight?) to repair the mechanical issue before departing. 

The itinerary is a bit different for these weeks: Getaway is scheduled to be in port from Tuesday morning at 8 AM (Bermuda time) until Friday morning at 7 AM. 

Typically, NYC itineraries are docked from 8 AM Wednesday till 3 PM Friday. 

• Like 1

Interesting. I was on the Getaway’s prior sailing. We skipped Taino Bay, DR and headed for NYC a day early. Captain stated it was because of a strong current and adverse weather expected in N.Y. in 3 days. He needed to get us back to NYC ahead of schedule for our safety. So we sailed back directly from San Juan and had 3 sea days to nstead of 2. We arrived in N.Y. at 230am March 7,  instead of the original itinerary posted time of 630am…….Extra sea day, skipped port and a race for home just to save 4 hours?  Didn’t believe it then, don’t believe it now. 

• Like 2