Alaska on Quantum- scenery while sailing?

14 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I wonder what keeps Royal from using them for one way sailings like Seattle (or Vancouver)

I think the issue for Vancouver is getting under the Lions Gate bridge.  I know they do it as a one off when the ship heads west to Hawaii but I think the timing of the tides has to be just right and doing that on a weekly basis would be troublesome.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Agreed.  We've really like both the Anthem and the Quantum, but we sailed them both in cold weather sailings (one to Alaska, and one from Cape Liberty in March).   They are fantastic ships for cold weather.  Along that point, I think it's weird that they moved the Odyssey to Cape Liberty during cold months given that the Odyssey switched the indoor family pool area into an outdoor pool area.  However we look forward to sailing Odyssey next year in March out of Cape Liberty, we love that it has Playmakers and one large dining room

I think Quantum class is fantastic for Alaska, given the weather.  I wonder what keeps Royal from using them for one way sailings like Seattle (or Vancouver) to Seward and vice-versa.  Would be great if they went to Glacier Bay (but Princess and Holland have the lions share of those openings)

Seward cannot currently handle larger ships. However the owners of the Seward cruise port announced its expansion back in 2022 and recently gave updated plans with an expected completion of spring 2026. In the promotional materials for the project they have rendered picture of the completed port with a Quantum class ship docked. This project is in conjunction with RCCL and the plans are for the ability to handle two ship at the same time, and the ability to handle quantum class ships.

I am planning on booking a B2B or a cruise with post cruise tour during the quantum class’ inaugural season to Seward. Fingers crossed it’s the 2026 season.

Edited by wreckem2013
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, wreckem2013 said:

Seward cannot currently handle larger ships. However the owners of the Seward cruise port announced its expansion back in 2022 and recently gave updated plans with an expected completion of spring 2026. In the promotional materials for the project they have rendered picture of the completed port with a Quantum class ship docked. This project is in conjunction with RCCL and the plans are for the ability to handle two ship at the same time, and the ability to handle quantum class ships.

I am planning on booking a B2B or a cruise with post cruise tour during the quantum class’ inaugural season to Seward. Fingers crossed it’s the 2026 season.

Awesome information!  Thank you.  What a great combo for Alaska cruisers, the one way all the way to Seward (or vice-versa) and the excellent Quantum class (or Quantum Ultra) for colder weather!  Might convince me to go back to Alaska sooner rather than later!