Size of Handicap Cabins on Nieuw Amsterdam

Most of the handicap cabins on  Nieuw Amsterdam are like the standard size cabin according to the web site  " Cruise  Ship Deck Plans " . There were 2 balcony cabins on deck 6 way up front of the ship that were handicap size . We were amazed that HAL could call a standard cabin size as handicap 

Is there any one who sailed this ship & stayed in one of those so called handicap cabins & their impression   of the handicap facilities ?

The Nieuw  Amsterdam is taking the place of Konigsdam  in late 2025 & on in the San Diego  cruise port 

11 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Have you looked at HAL Facts? There is information about one of those cabins on Eurodam. I haven't looked at deck plans, but they're likely the same on both Signature class ships. 

6001 – Eurodam | HAL Cruiser Information (halfacts.com)

Signature Class | HAL Cruiser Information (halfacts.com)

Thanks the pictures of that cabin are the ones all the way up front on deck 6  .Yes those 2 cabins are actual handicap sized cabins .  however ,as far as we could  see all the other cabins marked handicap are no larger than the same cabin standard sized ;which is very weird to mark a cabin handicapped & yet you could not place a scooter into one of them . When we looked at the deck plans we could not believe what we saw  

The accessible cabins are ambulatory accessible, single side accessible and fully accessible. The latter two have to do with whether or not a wheelchair or scooter fit on either side of the bed.

Ambulatory doesn't have chair access. It's got a low threshold shower and extra grab rails.

The room does not have to be bigger to be accessible.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, POA1 said:

Ambulatory doesn't have chair access. It's got a low threshold shower and extra grab rails.

The room does not have to be bigger to be accessible.

I am an amputee , but 100% mobil during the day , I need the Handicap room for the walk in shower and extra grab bars in the bathroom . I always try for the " ambulatory accessible" but bookiing even 18 months to 2 years out they are hard to come by 😞 I have been known to bring my own suction cup grab bars 😂

• Thanks 1