How Much of a Pain (and Costly) is IAH to Galveston Port?

Posted (edited)

Here's the dilemma:  We booked a refundable cruise on Royal Caribbean's Rhapsody of the Seas with our kids for Dec 2025.  We love Royal but I worry the ship will be too basic (i.e. boring) for our kids who will be 16 and 20 for this cruise.  (As a point of reference, this past Dec we went on Odyssey, and Dec 2024 we are on Icon).

I've been watching other Royal ships for our date and Harmony of the Seas dropped enough for our "ok" price range so I also booked it as refundable (but still about 1K more than Rhapsody).  On Rhapsody we have 2 interiors. On Harmony we have a single promenade room.  

DH wants Rhapsody for the easier travel, two rooms and a simple ship, but I'm thinking we should do Harmony with our kids.  

The biggest worry/negative for Harmony is that it is out of Galveston Port vs Florida.  We are from Toronto, Ontario and there are direct flights to IAH airport but not HOU airport.  Thus, my post...how difficult is it to fly into IAH an then get to the port?  We always come in the day before and return same day ship returns. 

For hotels, we could stay near IAH (which I've read isn't a good idea), near the port or somewhere in between to split up the uber or however we get there. 

Any advice, or "it's not as bad as it seems" is appreciated (as need to convince DH on Harmony....lol) .

Edited by LuCruise

Are there going to be four of you ?

We are going Memorial Day Weekend. There will be four of us.

We are flying in the day before the cruise on a Saturday and plan on Ubering

and will most likely pay between $90- $140 for all of us combined.

I'm using Galveston Limo on the way back so I have a guaranteed ride.

Right now they are having a Summer Special at $28.00 each way. 

I actually might check with them about using them from IAH to my Galveston hotel.

Only issue would be on a shuttle that probably will be dropping off all over the place.

The Galveston Limo does stop at HOU first but that's it when going back to IAH.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Here's the dilemma:  We booked a refundable cruise on Royal Caribbean's Rhapsody of the Seas with our kids for Dec 2025.  We love Royal but I worry the ship will be too basic (i.e. boring) for our kids who will be 16 and 20 for this cruise.  (As a point of reference, this past Dec we went on Odyssey, and Dec 2024 we are on Icon).

I've been watching other Royal ships for our date and Harmony of the Seas dropped enough for our "ok" price range so I also booked it as refundable (but still about 1K more than Rhapsody).  On Rhapsody we have 2 interiors. On Harmony we have a single promenade room.  

DH wants Rhapsody for the easier travel, two rooms and a simple ship, but I'm thinking we should do Harmony with our kids.  

The biggest worry/negative for Harmony is that it is out of Galveston Port vs Florida.  We are from Toronto, Ontario and there are direct flights to IAH airport but not HOU airport.  Thus, my post...how difficult is it to fly into IAH an then get to the port?  We always come in the day before and return same day ship returns. 

For hotels, we could stay near IAH (which I've read isn't a good idea), near the port or somewhere in between to split up the uber or however we get there. 

Any advice, or "it's not as bad as it seems" is appreciated (as need to convince DH on Harmony....lol) .

I would stay by the airport at a hotel with airport shuttLe and take one of several shuttle options directly to the port next day BUT  I suppose the big question is how late in the day do you arrive and do you want to do anything particularly in Galveston. 

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

Lots of ways to get to Galveston from IAH......as above somene said Galveston Limo.....there is also Galveston Express.  You can also use Uber/Lyft.  It is about 70 miles.  As we are doing in a couple of weeks, and looks like you are planning, I would travel into Galveston the night before and stay on island.  Harbor House and Tremont are higher end hotels albeit a little pricey, but you can walk or take tram alot of places for dinner/drinks etc.  Both are an easy walk to ship in morning (a bit farther to RCCL than Carnival) even with luggage.  Staying on Seawall side you will find lots of Springhill/Holiday Inn/Fairfields etc but would need an uber across the island to the ship.

Size of ship sometimes doesn't directly relate to amount of fun.......smaller ships have their own charm.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Colorado Buffalo said:

Are there going to be four of you ?

We are going Memorial Day Weekend. There will be four of us.

We are flying in the day before the cruise on a Saturday and plan on Ubering

and will most likely pay between $90- $140 for all of us combined.

I'm using Galveston Limo on the way back so I have a guaranteed ride.

Right now they are having a Summer Special at $28.00 each way. 

I actually might check with them about using them from IAH to my Galveston hotel.

Only issue would be on a shuttle that probably will be dropping off all over the place.

The Galveston Limo does stop at HOU first but that's it when going back to IAH.

Thank you.  Yes there are 4 of us. How come you picked uber over Galveston Limo when you arrive - since it's not direct? Uber seems less hassle as it's just you and you call when you arrive...but probably more expensive?

What hotel are you looking at?  That is the next piece to figure out.

2 minutes ago, marshalltp said:

Lots of ways to get to Galveston from IAH......as above somene said Galveston Limo.....there is also Galveston Express.  You can also use Uber/Lyft.  It is about 70 miles.  As we are doing in a couple of weeks, and looks like you are planning, I would travel into Galveston the night before and stay on island.  Harbor House and Tremont are higher end hotels albeit a little pricey, but you can walk or take tram alot of places for dinner/drinks etc.  Both are an easy walk to ship in morning (a bit farther to RCCL than Carnival) even with luggage.  Staying on Seawall side you will find lots of Springhill/Holiday Inn/Fairfields etc but would need an uber across the island to the ship.

Size of ship sometimes doesn't directly relate to amount of fun.......smaller ships have their own charm.

I was under the impression one can't/not allowed to walk to Royal's terminal. Is this not correct ?

I thought there's a gate.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I would stay by the airport at a hotel with airport shuttLe and take one of several shuttle options directly to the port next day BUT  I suppose the big question is how late in the day do you arrive and do you want to do anything particularly in Galveston. 

Yeah, since this is for Dec 2025, I won't know for awhile, but did look at this Dec for an idea of pricing and flights.  For the way there, ideally we would get there late morning/early afternoon (about a 4 hr flight for us).  For the way back, we'd prob pick a later flight in afternoon to not stress over fog or transportation times.

As for doing anything in Galveston, we're pretty low key on travel day so probably wouldn't do any touring or anything...just need a place to sleep and grab a meal nearby.

Edited by LuCruise

1 minute ago, LuCruise said:

Thank you.  Yes there are 4 of us. How come you picked uber over Galveston Limo when you arrive - since it's not direct? Uber seems less hassle as it's just you and you call when you arrive...but probably more expensive?

What hotel are you looking at?  That is the next piece to figure out.

Ubering to Galveston most likely. Galveston Limo back to IAH.

We are staying at Tremont House. Certainly not cheap but using credit card miles so no big deal.

It's one of the nicest hotels on the island on the historic Strand in downtown near walkable restaurants and shops. Harbor House is another one to look at if you want to stay downtown.

Be careful looking at hotels near the gulf. So many of them are getting terrible reviews for being, dirty, rundown and roaches. If not staying downtown I'd recommend the following- San Luis Resort, Moody Gardens Hotel (not near the Seawall) the Hilton, Holiday Inn Resort (not Holiday Inn Express) and finally Townplace Suites (however to me it's by itself with nothing walkable) 

1 minute ago, Colorado Buffalo said:

Ubering to Galveston most likely. Galveston Limo back to IAH.

We are staying at Tremont House. Certainly not cheap but using credit card miles so no big deal.

It's one of the nicest hotels on the island on the historic Strand in downtown near walkable restaurants and shops. Harbor House is another one to look at if you want to stay downtown.

Be careful looking at hotels near the gulf. So many of them are getting terrible reviews for being, dirty, rundown and roaches. If not staying downtown I'd recommend the following- San Luis Resort, Moody Gardens Hotel (not near the Seawall) the Hilton, Holiday Inn Resort (not Holiday Inn Express) and finally Townplace Suites (however to me it's by itself with nothing walkable) 

17 minutes ago, marshalltp said:

Thank you both. Have noted these and will check out these hotels.

Definitely roach-free and clean is a priority.

1 hour ago, LuCruise said:

Yeah, since this is for Dec 2025, I won't know for awhile, but did look at this Dec for an idea of pricing and flights.  For the way there, ideally we would get there late morning/early afternoon (about a 4 hr flight for us).  For the way back, we'd prob pick a later flight in afternoon to not stress over fog or transportation times.

As for doing anything in Galveston, we're pretty low key on travel day so probably wouldn't do any touring or anything...just need a place to sleep and grab a meal nearby.

If you aren’t looking to sightsee or restaurants in Galveston  I would definitely stay by the airport for less hassle and multiple transport transfers. Marriott is simplest but more pricy but other off-site hotels have shuttles to and from or you can Uber direct from hotel next day.

We generally drive day of but have stayed occasionally the night before in Galveston. I am not a big fan of Galveston so unless there is something particular you want to do I personally would go for the cheapest most convenient option.

1 hour ago, Colorado Buffalo said:

I was under the impression one can't/not allowed to walk to Royal's terminal. Is this not correct ?

I thought there's a gate.

Not easy or convenient from Tremont or Harbor House like the old terminals is probably what you have read.

1 hour ago, marshalltp said:

Yeah, and I've heard lots of great things about Rhapsody.  My kids enjoy the ship activities (cruise planner trivia, etc) and also enjoy swimming and the gym....but are not lie in a beach chair and read people.  So more options of things to do on Harmony. Plus, more eating options.   Having said that, if we end up on Rhapsody, I'm sure we'll still have a great time.  

1 hour ago, ssb said:

Royal Caribbean transfers between IAH and Galveston are not that expensive. 

How does that work?  I haven't seen anything in the cruise planner as an option.