Grand Princess Interior Cabin configuration ....

nzrainbow

I booked an Interior Guarantee Cabin aboard Grand Princess recently. I've booked Interiors many, many times before on a range of Princess ships and have never before had an issue with the layout.  I was initially advised that ALL the Interior cabins on the Grand could be configured as twin singles or queen bed and also that some had 4 berths... 2 of which dropped down from the side walls. 

My booking was for a queen bed configuration. When I embarked the Cabin (Plaza 227) was configured as a twin bed bunkroom i.e 2 singles made up with 2 drop down beds folded away. I advised the Cabin steward and housekeeping steward that I required a queen bed and was told that the room couldn't be successfully reconfigured to a queen as I'd hit my head on the bunk beds when entering or exiting the bed because there was insufficient accessway either side of the queen bed.  Also that there was only one bedside cabinet (with 2 fixed bedside lamps) designed to go between the 2 single beds..... pushing the 2 singles together in the centre of the cabin meant there was insufficient room to one side for the single bedside cabinet which would then have to be placed sideways meaning the drawers could NOT be opened!

The option of a single bed, potential brain damage from bashing my head on a protruding folded bunk and an unusable bedside cabinet resulted in my agreeing to have both singles pushed together hard against one wall beneath the overhanging bunk. This allowed a wider walkway down the other side of the bed and also gave sufficient room to have the single bedside cabinet facing the correct way. This left it almost impossible for the poor steward to make the bed without climbing all over it and of course allowing entry to the queen bed from one side only!

Definitely NOT an ideal situation and I don't believe Princess should be marketing these particular cabins as suitable for a Queen configuration so have posted this in the hope that it may help someone else in the future 🙂 The first pic shows the cabin with the queen bed centered and the second with the bed pushed to one side to allow better access (for ONE person) and the use of the bedside cabinet drawers!

20240317_183118.jpg

20240317_183425.jpg

This is an oddity since it is so forward of the ship.  Because of the curvature of the bow, this cabin is smaller than the rest of the insides. 

The first thing Princess "should have done" is NOT make this a quad cabin. 

None of the insides have bunks that drop down from the ceiling.  All inside cabins have the intrusive bunks attached to the walls. 

It is unfortunate that you were assigned this cabin.  It is very important to research as much as possible until you find a cabin location that you will be satisfied with before cruising.  

14 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

This is an oddity since it is so forward of the ship.  Because of the curvature of the bow, this cabin is smaller than the rest of the insides. 

The first thing Princess "should have done" is NOT make this a quad cabin. 

None of the insides have bunks that drop down from the ceiling.  All inside cabins have the intrusive bunks attached to the walls. 

It is unfortunate that you were assigned this cabin.  It is very important to research as much as possible until you find a cabin location that you will be satisfied with before cruising.  

It would actually probably work OK as a quad although a little cramped. I guess if you needed a quad you'd be expecting that but I booked an Interior with a queen bed! As I said, it was a Guarantee Interior, but booked as a queen so thats what my expectations were. I'd have been happy with any Interior as long as it was able to be properly configured as a queen 🙂I was aware the additional berths were attached to the walls as I've had a similar cabin before on Grand but as you say the issue with these ones is that they are definitely narrower than standard and as such aren't able to be configured successfully as Queens! It would have worked just fine as a twin single too but that's not what I booked.

Ahhh.  And there lies the issue.  You booked a guaranteed Interior.  In Princess' mind, they assigned you an interior without regard to your request for a queen configuration.  

There are several cabins across the fleet that have this problem.  I once "toured" an accessible balcony cabin that ONLY had twin beds.  It was long and narrow with a walkway down the middle.  Again, very far forward on a higher deck.

Thank you for sharing.

• Like 1

We once booked a forward OV cabin on Emerald Princess. Huge mistake. The cabin was where the ship's hull started curving inward toward the bow. We had room for a night stand on one side of the bed but, on the other side of the bed, there was a very skinny walkway to sort of shuffle sideways between the bed and the wall. Princess really ought to make it "nobody-but-a-complete-moron-could-not-understand" clear that these cabins are really, really, really, crappy and then sell them super, super, super cheap to compensate.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We once booked a forward OV cabin on Emerald Princess. Huge mistake. The cabin was where the ship's hull started curving inward toward the bow. We had room for a night stand on one side of the bed but, on the other side of the bed, there was a very skinny walkway to sort of shuffle sideways between the bed and the wall. Princess really ought to make it "nobody-but-a-complete-moron-could-not-understand" clear that these cabins are really, really, really, crappy and then sell them super, super, super cheap to compensate.

Thats a thought!  Turn them into single/solo cabins without a supplement. That would sell well!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nzrainbow said:

I booked an Interior Guarantee Cabin aboard Grand Princess recently. I've booked Interiors many, many times before on a range of Princess ships and have never before had an issue with the layout.  I was initially advised that ALL the Interior cabins on the Grand could be configured as twin singles or queen bed and also that some had 4 berths... 2 of which dropped down from the side walls. 

My booking was for a queen bed configuration. When I embarked the Cabin (Plaza 227) was configured as a twin bed bunkroom i.e 2 singles made up with 2 drop down beds folded away. I advised the Cabin steward and housekeeping steward that I required a queen bed and was told that the room couldn't be successfully reconfigured to a queen as I'd hit my head on the bunk beds when entering or exiting the bed because there was insufficient accessway either side of the queen bed.  Also that there was only one bedside cabinet (with 2 fixed bedside lamps) designed to go between the 2 single beds..... pushing the 2 singles together in the centre of the cabin meant there was insufficient room to one side for the single bedside cabinet which would then have to be placed sideways meaning the drawers could NOT be opened!

The option of a single bed, potential brain damage from bashing my head on a protruding folded bunk and an unusable bedside cabinet resulted in my agreeing to have both singles pushed together hard against one wall beneath the overhanging bunk. This allowed a wider walkway down the other side of the bed and also gave sufficient room to have the single bedside cabinet facing the correct way. This left it almost impossible for the poor steward to make the bed without climbing all over it and of course allowing entry to the queen bed from one side only!

Definitely NOT an ideal situation and I don't believe Princess should be marketing these particular cabins as suitable for a Queen configuration so have posted this in the hope that it may help someone else in the future 🙂 The first pic shows the cabin with the queen bed centered and the second with the bed pushed to one side to allow better access (for ONE person) and the use of the bedside cabinet drawers!

20240317_183118.jpg

20240317_183425.jpg

I prefer centered

31 minutes ago, CU64 said:

I prefer centered

Me too! But with a queen centered in this cabin you'd pretty much have to exit and enter the bed by climbing over the foot of it lol. 

37 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Thats a thought!  Turn them into single/solo cabins without a supplement. That would sell well!

Brilliant idea.... I'd have nothing to complain about then lol. I paid full single supplement for this so I rightly expect to be able to get into bed from either side should I really wish to do so.... 🤔 😅 🙃 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, nzrainbow said:

I paid full single supplement for this so I rightly expect to be able to get into bed from either side should I really wish to do so.... 🤔 😅 🙃 

If you're travelling solo, the layout looks fine.  What am I missing?

Thanks for the info. I never knew the ship had those hanging beds to the side. They are an eyesore and no doubt I'd knock into them. I've been on the Grand twice this year in an interior and an OY room but towards the back of the ship. Nice rooms. I thought extra beds dropped from the ceiling. I'll have to do more research when booking one of those rooms in future so I don't end up with one with hanging beds. I usually book in advance and can choose my own room. I actually think the queen bed beside the wall looks more cosy and would be more functional for a solo.

Just now, Yaya_in_Oz said:

Thanks for the info. I never knew the ship had those hanging beds to the side. They are an eyesore and no doubt I'd knock into them. I've been on the Grand twice this year in an interior and an OY room but towards the back of the ship. Nice rooms. I thought extra beds dropped from the ceiling.

Yes, on many ships they do drop from the ceiling and are pretty much unobtrusive, unfortunately on the Grand which is my favourite Princess ship they really intrude from the side walls and that is exacerbated by the narrow width of these cabins. The bed works fine pushed to one side for a solo cruiser but it has its limitations as the cabin isn't meant to be configured like that and I feel sorry for the cabin steward who has to deal with it. Makes the cabin a bit ugly too as there's not even a picture on the wall to brighten it up! There's a LOT of much nicer interior cabins on the Grand.... Fwd, Aft and Midship on most decks so there is a choice. 

As far as I know (I could be wrong) all Grand/Gem Class interior cabins have those awful protruding beds attached to the side wall. You might have better luck with ocean view or higher (drop from the ceiling).

Just now, cr8tiv1 said:

As far as I know (I could be wrong) all Grand/Gem Class interior cabins have those awful protruding beds attached to the side wall. You might have better luck with ocean view or higher (drop from the ceiling).

No, all the Interior cabins certainly don't  have the intrusive side beds...  its the first time I've been allocated an interior cabin like this.... and I've occupied many interior cabins on the Grand Princess.  Possibly all the 4 Berth ones do but I certainly didn't specify I required a 4 berth! The std twin/queen interior cabins are generally very nice and I'm perfectly happy with them on some cruises. Depends upon the itinerary, the season, the price and the availability as to what I require when I'm cruising solo.

2 hours ago, nzrainbow said:

No, all the Interior cabins certainly don't  have the intrusive side beds...  its the first time I've been allocated an interior cabin like this.... and I've occupied many interior cabins on the Grand Princess.  Possibly all the 4 Berth ones do but I certainly didn't specify I required a 4 berth! The std twin/queen interior cabins are generally very nice and I'm perfectly happy with them on some cruises. Depends upon the itinerary, the season, the price and the availability as to what I require when I'm cruising solo.

You are correct, NOT ALL the interior cabins have side mounted beds.  Only the ones designated as triples/quad cabins.  Regular 2 person cabins do not have the wall mounted beds.  Princess deck plans do not show legends.  Be sure to check out other web deck plans to see quad cabins, cabins with connecting doors, or any other items that may impede your enjoyment of your selected cabin.

Just now, cr8tiv1 said:

You are correct, NOT ALL the interior cabins have side mounted beds.  Only the ones designated as triples/quad cabins.  Regular 2 person cabins do not have the wall mounted beds.  Princess deck plans do not show legends.  Be sure to check out other web deck plans to see quad cabins, cabins with connecting doors, or any other items that may impede your enjoyment of your selected cabin.

Yes, that's exactly why I originally made this post, hopefully it helps others who aren't aware that some interior cabins aren't able to be successfully configured for a queen bed. I agree that it's not necessarily made very clear on the deck plans or by Princess when booking unfortunately.