Ferry from naples to capri

Katstang

We will be arriving on oasis in Naples and want to go to Capri. I want to purchase ferry tickets myself because RC are much more expensive. My question is there anyway to know what time the ship will disembark in Naples? I have to choose a time to leave from port to Capri. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Katstang said:

We will be arriving on oasis in Naples and want to go to Capri. I want to purchase ferry tickets myself because RC are much more expensive. My question is there anyway to know what time the ship will disembark in Naples? I have to choose a time to leave from port to Capri. Thank you.

I’ve done this three times. Love Capri!

Plan to get off maybe about 30 mins after the scheduled arrival time in port. 

We usually bought the ferry time for around like 10am and then the return like around 3:30pm (depends on what time your ship leaves). 

Make sure you look at the ferry schedules and choose a timeslot that is a fast ferry and not a slow one. 

Must see and do things in Capri:

- Take bus or taxi up to Anacapri then take the chairlift up to the top of the mountain (even better views)

- Augustus Gardens (great views)
- Drinks/lunch in Capri

- Take the Funicular back down to the port at the end of the day before catching the ferry back

MHO.

I strongly recommend taking the ferry trip through RC.

I know that's much more expensive, but this is one occasion that the peace of mind is worth the difference.

We've been there several times, and sometimes the conditions of the sea change, the ferry companies cancel the return trip or change the hours.

1 hour ago, Cruise Gopher said:

I’ve done this three times. Love Capri!

Plan to get off maybe about 30 mins after the scheduled arrival time in port. 

We usually bought the ferry time for around like 10am and then the return like around 3:30pm (depends on what time your ship leaves). 

Make sure you look at the ferry schedules and choose a timeslot that is a fast ferry and not a slow one. 

Must see and do things in Capri:

- Take bus or taxi up to Anacapri then take the chairlift up to the top of the mountain (even better views)

- Augustus Gardens (great views)
- Drinks/lunch in Capri

- Take the Funicular back down to the port at the end of the day before catching the ferry back

This is great advice exactly what we do and never had a problem.

Its only about a two minute walk to the ferry/ hydrofoil terminal from where the cruise ship docks.

We always travel over to Capri under out own steam and usually the ship tours are also on the very same ferry/ hydrofoil.

When you dock in Capri and exit the port turn right go up the hill for about 50 metres and there’s a kiosk selling bus transportation tickets for a few euros to Anacapri or there’s plenty of Cuban style open top taxis that will transport you up there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

MHO.

I strongly recommend taking the ferry trip through RC.

I know that's much more expensive, but this is one occasion that the peace of mind is worth the difference.

We've been there several times, and sometimes the conditions of the sea change, the ferry companies cancel the return trip or change the hours.

If you can’t get back Royal can’t get back they use the same ferries/hydrofoils.

We have never seen the wisdom in taking the overpriced cruise line excursion to Capri as they simply use the same ferries as everyone else.  Once on Capri, one could argue whether they need a guide to say things like "this is a jewelry store,"  "that is a cafe,"  "look at the view," etc.

As to the ferries, there are two different companies that have ferries from the nearby Molo Beverello port (a 5 min stroll from the cruise port).  Since one cannot be positive when they will get off their ship and over to the ferry port, we have always just purchased a ticket on the next ferry..once we get to the ferry terminal.  Once we arrive on Capri, we stop at the ticket office (located at the end of the pier), check the return schedules (you want to go back to Molo Beverello) and buy our return ticket on the ferry that best meets our own schedule.  Keep in mind that a ticket purchased is only good on the ferries of that particular company.

Once on Capri, most folks spend the bulk of their time just walking around Capri Town.  But you can also take the local bus up to the smaller/more residential town of Anacapri where there is a chairlift that takes folks up to the top of Mt Solaro.  The view from the top is spectacular, but we warn folks that the single chair lift may not be appreciated by folks who are afraid of heights.

For those who want to go to the Blue Grotto (a true tourist trap that many find worthwhile once in their life) you can find tours right on the same pier where you arrive from Naples (or Sorrento).  The Capri tour involves taking a boat from that pier, around Capri, to the Grotto.  Once at the Grotto you will need to transfer (on the water) to a much smaller boat (hand rowed) to get into the Grotto.  Keep in mind that those folks that row the boats do expect a nice tip (I once heard one rower say "you cannot get off my boat until you tip!"  Moving between the boats may be difficult for folks with mobility issues.

Hank