Question about disembarking in Fusina

We will be disembarking in Fusina on a future cruise Athens to Venice and have a few questions for someone who has had this experience.

What is the nearest airport to fly back to the U.S.?

Fastest way, and how long to get to the airport?

Approximate cost of transport if known?

Can someone recommend a reliable car service, or is it best to use Regent Transport this time.

Any and all comments about this experience would be appreciated.

I endured the experience last year  when on Europa 2 :

I do not know the connections to the US but I think for international flights it will be be Milano 

nearest Airport is Venice Marco Polo  - extremely busy in season  - overcrowded

i took the fastest possibility a direct flight to Brussels despite I hate the Belgian company Brussels Airlines 

if you flight is before 11 am then the luggage could be kept on board  , if you flight is after 11 am then the luggage is sent to a terminal building Marco Polo airport 

with a first ( poor quality ) coach you are brought to that terminal , where you have to identify and  pick up your luggage , fast inspection by authorities but nearly all pax were European Union 

porters were available ( lucky me because i do have a condition )

then a far better full airco  coach is bringing you to the airport  - well some 300 meters away from the entrance  - there was a mini van 9 places for people with a condition 

the luggage was sent to the entrance of the airport  - i found a trolley 😁 -  and had arguments with people because i was traveling business and was allowed to check in with priority ( not fun )

this adventure was 80 euro on Hapag Lloyd 

when the ship was on a terminal i paid 50 eur to a decent taxi 2 years ago 

We disembarked in Fusina last October on Navigator. The airport is Venice Marco Polo. After leaving the ship, everyone has to go on a shuttle bus to the cruise terminal to pick up luggage (about 30 minute drive). There is no private transportation allowed into Fusina, so you cannot use a taxi/limousine from there. All transportation has to be arranged from the Venice cruise terminal. If you use a Regent bus, they usually drop you off some distance from the airport terminal (buses are not allowed to stop at the terminals) and you have to make your own way there with your bags. I would suggest private transportation from the cruise terminal and give yourself plenty of time. As mentioned above, Venice airport is busy and overcrowded and no fun.

Many thanks BBWC. I guess the question is  are there taxis waiting at the venice cruise terminal? Can anyone recommend a  transportation service from the venice cruise terminal to the airport. How available are taxis? How in the world can one guess a private pickup time.

Anyone done this recently?

I’m going to jump on this thread, we are cruising from Istanbul to Trieste (not Fusina), in August.  Would they change this?  Any idea what that transportation looks like at Trieste and is there an option to get dropped off at the train station or someplace else in Venice proper?   

BBWC has given you v good direction. When debarking I suspect that your cruise line will send all luggage to the cruise terminal, to be claimed. So you do not have to walk w it from your R bus from the port. However, you will have it in your possession as you seek transportation to Marco Polo. It is worth checking to see whether R will also offer a bus from the cruise terminal to the airport. If you seek the romance of a canal ride, there is a water taxi station near the cruise terminal.

Many thanks PaulaJK for the information. Has anyone been able to take a taxi from the Venice cruise terminal to Marco Polo. Has anyone arranged for a car service from the, I assume the venice cruise terminal, to the airport?  Looks like a tough question to get answered.

1 hour ago, Avidtravler said:

Many thanks PaulaJK for the information. Has anyone been able to take a taxi from the Venice cruise terminal to Marco Polo. Has anyone arranged for a car service from the, I assume the venice cruise terminal, to the airport?  Looks like a tough question to get answered.

I can’t say for sure since we had a Regent private transfer, but I did not see any taxis lined up. Everybody from our shuttle was on Regent transportation (bus or private car). I would definitely consider a car service (or private water taxi if you want to splurge).

Suggest contacting VQ transfers. VQT.com. They are great at arranging private car transfers anywhere around Venice. Owner named Trisha us a Brit. She is great at giving advice. Helped us out getting from Venice Airport to Ravenna for a Celebrity cruise last summer.