Club Orange or not

LJanet

2 hours ago, Crew News said:

August is much warmer than May but it is also wetter.  August also features mosquitoes (unofficial state bird).  May is the direst month but also the most scenic with snow on the higher peaks and a chill in the air in the morning.

We were there in early September, great for seeing the black bears catching salmon and the Aurora (which we were fortunate to see from Fairbanks). But for our next Alaska cruise we will focus on wildlife. Which is the best month for that? I see different projections depending on who is saying it. We're hoping for more whales, eagles, maybe others. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

We were there in early September, great for seeing the black bears catching salmon and the Aurora (which we were fortunate to see from Fairbanks). But for our next Alaska cruise we will focus on wildlife. Which is the best month for that? I see different projections depending on who is saying it. We're hoping for more whales, eagles, maybe others. 

Denali does not open until June to see caribou, moose, brown bears, wolves, etc.  It is my experience that early May is the return of humpbacks with very frisky calves, hungry eagles before salmon season begins, curious Sitka deer fawns, newborn harbor seals in Glacier Bay, and hungry black bears just out of hibernation searching for dandelions.

Opting for a Club Orange upgrade gets me an aft verandah for photos and Glacier Bays visitors

image.jpeg.692b0b391175d926fec0af157e3f3674.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Denali does not open until June to see caribou, moose, brown bears, wolves, etc.  It is my experience that early May is the return of humpbacks with very frisky calves, hungry eagles before salmon season begins, curious Sitka deer fawns, newborn harbor seals in Glacier Bay, and hungry black bears just out of hibernation searching for dandelions.

Opting for a Club Orange upgrade gets me an aft verandah for photos and Glacier Bays visitors

image.jpeg.692b0b391175d926fec0af157e3f3674.jpeg

Years ago my brother cruised in July and said they saw eagles from the ship almost every day, and many whales without much effort.

• Like 1

First time cruisers, we are booked on the Koningsdam 7 day Alaska inside passage May 31 - June 7, 2025.  I booked this hoping for less rain, more sunlight, less mosquitos, snow-capped mountains, and *hopefully* less children since many schools are still in class through first week of June.  The temperature wasn't really a factor for us as we live in Wisconsin and it will feel mostly like home....lol.

I have already booked our Tracy Arm excursion.  For those who have done this excursion, what do you typically do in Juneau afterwards?  Will we be too tired to book a Juneau excursion as well?  Is there enough to do in port just walking around without booking something?  Very torn on this.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

@Crew News can probably answer this question.  I would expect May.  The end of August may have more rain and rougher seas,

@LJanet we go to AK each May and Sept. Of course weather is dynamic, but generally, we find May warmer and Sept wetter; assume Aug would likely be more similar to Sept.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, rwethereyet1969 said:

For those who have done this excursion, what do you typically do in Juneau afterwards? 

I head up the main street (turn left off the ship) and stop at the Alaska Fudge Company to stock up on some great chocolates. 
Then, heading back to the ship, I go to the Red Dog Saloon for a drink and a good time. 

There are plenty of other places to walk to in downtown Juneau that could be of interest. Just checking out the side streets that are flights of stairs is interesting! 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 11:18 PM, LJanet said:

Planning our 2025 7 day inside passage on KDam.  We want to book Tracy Arm excursion and read there are very few seating available. We certainly don't want to stand 3 hours nor be out on the deck.  If we purchase Club Orange, will we have priority tender to board catamaran for better chance of securing a seat.     

I just completed a Caribbean cruise on Rotterdam. I purchased Club Orange only for 2 reasons: priority during the embarkation and during tendering process. The embarkation part worked great, and CO was worth every penny. However, we had 1 tender port in Half Moon Cay (Bahamas) and they completely ignored CO benefit. Going to the island wasn't painful just because I came down when they started boarding the tender and the line wasn't that bad. But going back to the ship was really bad. They line was super long because everybody was trying to get on board by lunch time. And when I asked the security officer where the line or waiting area was for CO he told me that there wasn't any separate line and I had to stay in the one line with everyone else. Excuse me? Then what is the point of paying extra? I never ate at CO restaurant. I like big tables or go to the Buffet restaurant to save time. I will definitely mention the situation with tender line in my letter to the corporate office.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, TroubleT said:

I just completed a Caribbean cruise on Rotterdam. I purchased Club Orange only for 2 reasons: priority during the embarkation and during tendering process. The embarkation part worked great, and CO was worth every penny. However, we had 1 tender port in Half Moon Cay (Bahamas) and they completely ignored CO benefit. Going to the island wasn't painful just because I came down when they started boarding the tender and the line wasn't that bad. But going back to the ship was really bad. They line was super long because everybody was trying to get on board by lunch time. And when I asked the security officer where the line or waiting area was for CO he told me that there wasn't any separate line and I had to stay in the one line with everyone else. Excuse me? Then what is the point of paying extra? I never ate at CO restaurant. I like big tables or go to the Buffet restaurant to save time. I will definitely mention the situation with tender line in my letter to the corporate office.

Club Orange priority tendering is available for going ashore in tender ports.  Returning to the ship has always been one line for everyone.   A lot of people other than Club Orange also have priority tendering.  If there was a priority line, it would have been very long, and many more people would have been upset.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

@RuthC and @oaktreerb  Thank you for the suggestions.  It sounds like we can find a few things to do in Juneau after our Tracy Arm excursion to fill the time without purchasing another excursion.  That tram sounds great as we are suckers for a good view.  Maybe we will buy some of that fudge to bring home for our DDs and some for the plane home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, rwethereyet1969 said:

@RuthC and @oaktreerb  Thank you for the suggestions.  It sounds like we can find a few things to do in Juneau after our Tracy Arm excursion to fill the time without purchasing another excursion.  That tram sounds great as we are suckers for a good view.  Maybe we will buy some of that fudge to bring home for our DDs and some for the plane home.

There is also a trail for hiking and a place to eat "up top" so the tram ride provides more than just a great view. But it is a spectacular view.

Safe travels- enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rwethereyet1969 said:

First time cruisers, we are booked on the Koningsdam 7 day Alaska inside passage May 31 - June 7, 2025.  I booked this hoping for less rain, more sunlight, less mosquitos, snow-capped mountains, and *hopefully* less children since many schools are still in class through first week of June.  The temperature wasn't really a factor for us as we live in Wisconsin and it will feel mostly like home....lol.

I have already booked our Tracy Arm excursion.  For those who have done this excursion, what do you typically do in Juneau afterwards?  Will we be too tired to book a Juneau excursion as well?  Is there enough to do in port just walking around without booking something?  Very torn on this.

Juneau is a good area for whale watching.

• Like 2

@rwethereyet1969.  You will get back to Juneau around 3:30 after your excursion normally. The excursion boat unloads you back onto the Koningsdam on the same platform that you started your tour with.  You  have to go through the ships security. and it's a nice time to refresh quickly if needed before going off to explore Juneau.   If the weather is clear, I second doing the tram which is easy, no advance tickets needed, and HAL is normally in a berth close by. We always enjoy grabbing a burger or fish and chips at The Hangar on the Wharf next to where all the seaplanes are.  But it can be hard to get a coveted outside table when the weather is nice. I  get on the Koningsdam when you get off, enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, nw gardener said:

@rwethereyet1969.  You will get back to Juneau around 3:30 after your excursion normally. The excursion boat unloads you back onto the Koningsdam on the same platform that you started your tour with.  You  have to go through the ships security. and it's a nice time to refresh quickly if needed before going off to explore Juneau.   If the weather is clear, I second doing the tram which is easy, no advance tickets needed, and HAL is normally in a berth close by. We always enjoy grabbing a burger or fish and chips at The Hangar on the Wharf next to where all the seaplanes are.  But it can be hard to get a coveted outside table when the weather is nice. I  get on the Koningsdam when you get off, enjoy your cruise!

Great info!  I didn't realize the excursion would take us back to the ship first.  That will be SO NICE to go to our cabin to drop off extra coats, hats and such as well as a quick refresh before exploring Juneau by foot.  I am planning to keep a list of "cc poster recommendations" in the notes on my cellphone for quick reference in port.  I will definitely add those food spots.

I will wave as I cry disembarking in Vancouver.....

1010252.thumb.jpg.52ac26f8a8da3d5d81fef6a036af2acf.jpg

Pics from 2019 1010234.thumb.jpg.b62e623521204bb7b94317833affc756.jpg

Eagle on iceberg 1010248.thumb.jpg.d315ee1d532d9912718f69ac1f40a2e9.jpg

Seals on ice close in. Loved this excursion. The excursion is with Allen Marine which contracts with cruiselines for the Tracy Arm excursion,  if you want to Google their website to see what their boats are like. CO is very nice on the Koningsdam if you have it, but won't play a role on boarding for the excursion.

1010238.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nw gardener said:

We love spending an afternoon at The Hangar; good food and great views.

20230501_155928.thumb.jpg.6b2028c3e4f364741ed09b75d4553ec6.jpg

Our timing was perfect to get a table - the place was packed when we left. All inside dining that day in May 2023 - there's snow in those clouds.

20230501_155836.thumb.jpg.587e486997b5aab559b8592f7c447195.jpg

20230501_160059.thumb.jpg.253cf640e8baa2819aa7e131ef91f608.jpg

20230501_160303.thumb.jpg.0c2224fec7e61e16053ab6186a17c1d8.jpg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, rwethereyet1969 said:

Great info!  I didn't realize the excursion would take us back to the ship first.  That will be SO NICE to go to our cabin to drop off extra coats, hats and such as well as a quick refresh before exploring Juneau by foot.  I am planning to keep a list of "cc poster recommendations" in the notes on my cellphone for quick reference in port.  I will definitely add those food spots.

I will wave as I cry disembarking in Vancouver.....

Two suggestions: Hearthside Books (Downtown/Merchants Wharf) and Red Dog Saloon. The former for books about Alaska and the latter (if you can get in) for a little history with your drink/food.

Jim

• Like 1

Club Orange doesn’t seem worth it in value for OP since they already booked their cabin and not much room left to upgrade. Also their intent to share tables at anytime dining is the opposite of having essentially a less flexible but more intimate experience in the CO dining room. That said, I am shocked no one has yet mentioned the club orange tote bag 😉

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

As for Juneau, another vote for the Mt Roberts tramway. Note how HAL has the prime docking location right by the tramway station.

IMG_9602.thumb.jpeg.89e21c1246182986097edf3ddde5925b.jpeg

Edited by vicd1969
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, vicd1969 said:

That said, I am shocked no one has yet mentioned the club orange tote bag 😉

Wow, you're right! How could we miss that! It just goes to show that when distracted by small details (price, location, food, etc.) we can forget the really important things! 🫣

• Haha 3