Japan Intensive on the Journey

debcip

We are currently on Day 5 of our 15 day sailing. The trip so far has been wonderful although the weather has been challenging (quite cold [40-44*F/5-7*C], with a bit of rain snow and hail). However I wanted to note a few things done thus far which are examples of what Azamara does best:

In Aomori, where allegedly the best apples of the world are grown, 60 kg of local apples were brought on board to make a special apple pie. I ate late that night, and it was all gone!  I was promised that the pastry chef would make more the next day for others like me, and sure enough, I had the best deep dish apple pie presented to me the following night!

In Aomori, local Namahage performers were brought on for a fantastic afternoon drum and dance performance in the Cabaret Lounge.

In Niigata, three geishas came aboard for a performance, a Q&A mediated by the local Port Ambassador, a sake ceremony and tasting, and an opportunity for photos with the geishas.

These wonderful touches remind me of why I continue love this line!

• Like 14

We will get on when you get off!  
I will try and “forget” the surprises and certainly won’t tell DH!

The temperature is same as home so we are OK with that and we’re planning layers anyway but it might catch others out. 
We have opted to take quite a few land discoveries- are you hearing any feedback on these?

Thanks for posting and do keep enjoying! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, debcip said:

We are currently on Day 5 of our 15 day sailing. The trip so far has been wonderful although the weather has been challenging (quite cold [40-44*F/5-7*C], with a bit of rain snow and hail). However I wanted to note a few things done thus far which are examples of what Azamara does best:

In Aomori, where allegedly the best apples of the world are grown, 60 kg of local apples were brought on board to make a special apple pie. I ate late that night, and it was all gone!  I was promised that the pastry chef would make more the next day for others like me, and sure enough, I had the best deep dish apple pie presented to me the following night!

In Aomori, local Namahage performers were brought on for a fantastic afternoon drum and dance performance in the Cabaret Lounge.

In Niigata, three geishas came aboard for a performance, a Q&A mediated by the local Port Ambassador, a sake ceremony and tasting, and an opportunity for photos with the geishas.

These wonderful touches remind me of why I continue love this line!

I am so glad that you are enjoying everything.  We got off in Tokyo after 28 days on the ship and we really wish that we had stayed on!  Rhysard (hotel director) was telling us about all of the fun surprises for you.  You are extremely lucky that he came onboard and arranged all of these wonderful events!

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, uktog said:

We will get on when you get off!  
I will try and “forget” the surprises and certainly won’t tell DH!

The temperature is same as home so we are OK with that and we’re planning layers anyway but it might catch others out. 
We have opted to take quite a few land discoveries- are you hearing any feedback on these?

Thanks for posting and do keep enjoying! 

@uktog, many on board who we’ve spoken to are DIY-ing. DH and I were skittish about doing so due to language difficulties and reports in the roll call of private tour cancellations; we therefore went with ship excursions exclusively. 
Thus far our experience has been wonderful. The local guides are excellent, and so enthusiastic to spend time with us. The groups have been relatively small (<30) so pretty manageable. There is a bit of a bottleneck every time all 25 of us need to take our shoes off in a small space.  Overall we have been happy with the ship sponsored tours. 
For 2 of the 3 ports there have been shuttles into town, and folks who have used the Port Ambassador seem very happy with her. I’ve also noticed at her desk a list of suggested tours with prices, using taxi drivers who are at the port-so these can be arranged on the spot it seems. 
—Debbie

Edited by debcip
  • Like 6

31 minutes ago, debcip said:

@uktog, many on board who we’ve spoken to are DIY-ing. DH and I were skittish about doing so due to language difficulties and reports in the roll call of private tour cancellations; we therefore went with ship excursions exclusively. 
Thus far our experience has been wonderful. The local guides are excellent, and so enthusiastic to spend time with us. The groups have been relatively small (<30) so pretty manageable. There is a bit of a bottleneck every time all 25 of us need to take our shoes off in a small space.  Overall we have been happy with the ship sponsored tours. 
For 2 of the 3 ports there have been shuttles into town, and folks who have used the Port Ambassador seem very happy with her. I’ve also noticed at her desk a list of suggested tours with prices, using taxi drivers who are at the port-so these can be arranged on the spot it seems. 
—Debbie

Thank you so much. Really good to read this. I think we are only going to DIY 3 times. Like you we bottled out on too much independence. I know people chastise us for our cautious approach and you always meet someone who gives you the maths of how they’ve done better- in Europe or the Americas I’m happy to DIY but as soon as I cannot read a street sign I panic. No point in being over stressed as this is a one and done bucket list for us. I might investigate the Port Ambassador for stops we were DIY as maybe there are options we could consider. 

Do keep enjoying your wonderful experience 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, debcip said:

—Debbie

If you happen to pass the desk with a few moments to spare, please would you post the taxi info for port Sakaiminato. We would like to go to Matsue...  

Counting down to Tuesday morning.

9 hours ago, Kitekat said:

If you happen to pass the desk with a few moments to spare, please would you post the taxi info for port Sakaiminato. We would like to go to Matsue...  

@Kitekat, I’ll take a look. Right now it’s Sunday am and the desk is “all Kanazawa”— will keep an eye out for Sakaiminato information

6 hours ago, debcip said:

@Kitekat, I’ll take a look. Right now it’s Sunday am and the desk is “all Kanazawa”— will keep an eye out for Sakaiminato information

Thank you very much. 

And thank you and other contributors for your information on this cruise. It's so helpful to us future passengers. We plan on taking the ship's shuttle and exploring from there for most ports.

Roll on 3am on Tuesday when the adventure begins

22 hours ago, Kitekat said:

Hi @Kitekat here is the taxi info for sakaiminato. The Port Ambassador says that there should be plenty of taxis for hire around 9 am. The highlights show the number of hours and the standard rate IMG_1733.thumb.jpeg.8c7ea6e02a6348337fb28a1fcde57305.jpeg

since folks seem interested I’ll post a little about my experience in each port as we pass through. 
Kanazawa:  Port is about 3 miles from city center and shuttles ran q 30 minutes. Seems there was a fair amount to do and see in the city from what I heard. We opted for the ship’s excursion to the Gokayama region in the mountains, to see the Gassho-Zukuri farmhouses. This is a fascinating settlement but there was not much information provided on the site- there is a map of all the buildings but we had to do a bit of googling and reading afterwards. We then went to a paper-making workshop where we each made 3 washi-paper postcards and could watch a brief movie about the paper-making process. There was a great little shop with a small art exhibit upstairs. This was a lot of fun and interesting. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, debcip said:

Hi @Kitekat here is the taxi info for sakaiminato. The Port Ambassador says that there should be plenty of taxis for hire around 9 am. The highlights show the number of hours and the standard rate 

Thank you so much - I am now going to use my Google translate to see the detailed information.

And thank you for your updates on what you did ashore. I'm sure this will be useful, not just for us, but our fellow passengers on the next cruise.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kitekat said:

Thank you so much - I am now going to use my Google translate to see the detailed information.

And thank you for your updates on what you did ashore. I'm sure this will be useful, not just for us, but our fellow passengers on the next cruise.

@Kitekat I have an important clarification, which my husband caught! What the Port Ambassador apparently said was that all the taxis had already been hired for the next day in Sakaiminato and that she was hopeful that by 9 am more taxis would become available at the port

7 hours ago, debcip said:

@Kitekat I have an important clarification, which my husband caught! What the Port Ambassador apparently said was that all the taxis had already been hired for the next day in Sakaiminato and that she was hopeful that by 9 am more taxis would become available at the port

Ooh! I do hope there will be some! Thank very much you for the update. We are only hoping for a trip to Matsue - castle, river trip and a brief walk around. Ship's tour seems expensive for this trip and the public transport is a bit of a drag to get there and back. We'll keep our fingers crossed!

We did this cruise last year and the posts are bringing back wonderful memories of a bucket list cruise.   Azamara certainly went the extra mile.   We mainly did ships tours, although used travel with locals in Tokyo.   Went with guide before boarding ship and then on our day in Tokyo before disembarking. 

Great to hear that the ports continue to deliver so much. Azamara (and other lines) are hugely helped by the port authorities in each stop. This pamphlet that they prepare shows how much will be set up if you ask. 
I have also found it a useful resource for planning. Other countries should prepare a similar one stop summary! 

https://partners-pamph.jnto.go.jp/simg/pamph/2349.pdf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, uktog said:

Great to hear that the ports continue to deliver so much. Azamara (and other lines) are hugely helped by the port authorities in each stop. This pamphlet that they prepare shows how much will be set up if you ask. 
I have also found it a useful resource for planning. Other countries should prepare a similar one stop summary! 

WoW , we should have it las year, a great document. 

4 hours ago, uktog said:

This says it all. I have been so impressed with Japan and the organisation this country is able to achieve. And the people are so incredibly polite. Before even coming here in early March and getting on Journey we'd booked to come back on a land trip next year. You have to be quick off the mark if you want to use BA flight points. I'm very glad we did. We can then immerse ourselves more fully here. 

We saw Fuji from the ship on our way back to Tokyo, and have just spent three days at Lake Kawaguchi. Spectacular and Fuji was stunning in the moonlight. 

Phil 

IMG_3946.jpeg

• Like 7

Sakaiminato

Rain returned again! It was 50-52 F/7 C and rainy in the am; cloudy in the afternoon. 

There was a shuttle into town from the port. From overhearing the Port Ambassador, it seems there is one Main Street in town with shops and some eateries. 

We took a trip excursion to the Adachi Museum of Art and gardens, which have been rated the best gardens in Japan for many years. It took about an hour to get there. It is interestingly arranged; as you walk through the museum you are able to view the gardens from different viewpoints, both through glass and in open air. The art is gorgeous and the gardens are spectacular, even though it is still winter and nothing is in bloom yet. This should be a must see if you are interested in art or nature. 

We then went to the (Peony) Yuushein Garden, where we had a traditional Japanese lunch of many courses, and then walked through the gardens there. Although the peonies were not yet in bloom outside, there was an indoor display of some and individual plants outside which had been sheltered from the weather. The indoor display was gorgeous. Again it was a bit too early to see much color outside but we loved and appreciated it nonetheless. 

Our guide today was excellent. 3 of our 5 guides thus far have been great, with two being ok. In speaking with other cruisers, seems like which guide you get can really change your experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Busan, South Korea

Busan is a busy and bustling city. There were shuttle buses in from the port. Steven, the cruise director, said there is great street food in the city.

Everyone on the ship was required to go through customs in and out of the port.

We opted for the 8 1/2 hour ( but worth it!) ship Excursion Titled Gyeongju, The 1000 Year Old Heritage City. It centered around the Sila Period of Korean History (BCE57 to CE935). We saw the Gyeongjiu National Museum, where thousands of relics are housed; the tomb complex, where many leaders are entombed; a visit inside one tomb, where there is an exact replica of how the artifacts were found (in the 1970s); a Korean traditional lunch; and a visit to a Buddhist temple complex. Our guide, Sam, was knowledgeable and entertaining and provided an excellent experience. This is something which I obviously knew nothing about and I really loved this day and learned a lot. 

Note: this excursion is noted as “strenuous”. There are many steps, and those at the temple are irregular and often without railings. There is also a steep climb up an irregularly paved hill. I was concerned for many on our bus and was happy that no one had a fall!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Busan, Part 2

This was the night of our Destination Celebration. There were 2 performances, one at 6 and one at 9. It was a wonderful showcase of 6 different types of Korean performing arts, and a special Korean drink was offered to everyone. I asked about an Azamazing Evening on my comment card, and was told that these types of gatherings re no longer permitted in Japan or S Korea. 🤷🏻‍♀️

The port of Busan is absolutely gorgeous at night, with many types and colors of lighting displays. We were also lucky enough to be there at the time of a yellow full moon!

• Like 1

Sakaiminato:

on this day there was a huge immigration activity upon our re-docking in Japan. This took place in the Cabaret Lounge and took a couple of hours. No one could get off the ship until everyone was processed, so no excursions began until 11 or so. The Windows cafe stayed open so that everyone could get a snack before getting off the ship before noon. 

This is a port where you can walk into town. There are lots of restaurants and little shops, a tall building where you can go up to the top for a panoramic view, and a tour of the Toto toilet factory!

here is a good place to make a note about the port cities. These seem to be more industrial places than some of the “walk-off” ports in Europe. They are clean and safe, but they are not picturesque from what I can tell. Many people go into the cities but then take trains out of the cities to see sites that are a little farther afield. This is a little ambitious for me!  But it’s definitely do-able if that’s your thing. 

For our excursion today we went to a limestone “plateau” (photo and ice cream stop!) and then the Akiyoshido Cave. The natural phenomena were beautiful and a bit of a change from what we’d been seeing.  

This site is another one that needs a warning!  The cave is very dimly lit, there are lots of steps and +/- railings, and spots are slippery. It’s not impossible to negotiate but you need to know that it’s not easy. (I’ve been to Luray Caverns in VA which are very curated, and this is significantly less so!). 

• Like 4

Hiroshima

Excursion:  Kintai-KyoBridge and Shinkansen Bullet Train

This was a long but worthwhile day. A bus took us into central Hiroshima where we boarded the bullet train under the auspices of our tour guide  The train was remarkable—almost silent, very comfortable, clean and fast! It was a short (14 min) ride. 

Then on to Kintai-Kyo bridge—this spot was very crowded but we walked across together (lots of short wooden steps) then took a guided walk through the samurai village. Then had independent time when we could explore a park, take photos and get a snack from the many vendors. This was followed by a good “traditional lunch” with many many small items and included a soup and sushi which were specific to the area. 

Then on to the Atomic Bomb Dome and Peace Memorial Park. This is an amazing and sobering place. 

We thought this pricey excursion was definitely worth it. The Shinkansen fulfilled a bucket-list item for my husband and the time at the dome and park is quite beautiful and heart rending. It was a way to get in a lot of items which were quite far from each other in one day.

• Like 4