reliable pharmacy in Mexican ports

CruzinNoony

Our ports will be Ensenada, Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Manzanillo.  We would like to pick up some medications on our upcoming cruise.  Does anyone have any experience with a reliable pharmacy in one of these ports?

We have been scammed by farmacias in Mexican ports -- antibiotics and other medicines that are (1) fake, (2) old and/or (3) otherwise not as advertised.  Hank has posted the names of some farmacias he has used.

When I buy medicines in the Mex Riv, I go to Costco.  Be aware of the price you pay in the US, after insurance.  MY insurance does not contribute for the meds I buy in foreign places, so I have to consider Mexican retain price versus my US co-pay price!

Both Cabo and Puerto Vallarta have a WalMart within walking distance. The one in downtown Cabo is pretty new. If you do the one in Puerto Vallarta, there is not much else there in the area except a Sam's Club. So you would walk there, and then walk back to the pier, and then go do your sightseeing, or you could walk there and then catch a cab to the tourist areas.

With Cabo - because the new one is right in the heart of downtown Cabo, you will see most of the tourist area as you walk there and back. Costco in Cabo is NOT WALKABLE and a pretty expensive cab ride there and back. Uber is available (and much cheaper) but DO NOT REQUEST AN UBER NEAR ANY TAXI STAND.

We use Roma or the ones inside Calimax grocery stores.  I know both have stores in Ensenada.  Calimax seems to be cheaper than Roma.  I recent bought Retin A for a friend in the US and Calimax was about 15% cheaper than Roma.    

IN Puerto Vallarta we find the Guadalahara pharmacies chain  very reliable and doctors here usually recommend that we fill our prescriptions there.   They are numerous ones around town and any taxi driver would be able to bring you to one for about 100 pesos.   There are 2 near Plaza Caracol and perhaps even closer to the port area.   A taxi or Uber driver would be able to find one for you.  

As others stated there is a Walmart across from the  cruise port area also.

IN Puerto Vallarta we find the Guadalahara pharmacies chain  very reliable and doctors here usually recommend that we fill our prescriptions there.   They are numerous ones around town and any taxi driver would be able to bring you to one for about 100 pesos.   There are 2 near Plaza Caracol and perhaps even closer to the port area.   A taxi or Uber driver would be able to find one for you.  

As others stated there is a Walmart across from the  cruise port area also.