Solar Eclipse on Epic 8th April

Posted (edited)

Anyone planning on watching/photographing the solar eclipse from the Epic on it's first sea day of the Transatlantic cruise April 7-19th? Here are several tracking shots with my "guesstimates" of the ships position. If there is any interest maybe we could talk at the meet and greet on that morning? I will be there wearing funny looking eclipse glasses! Here's the link to the tracking site:  https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2024-april-8

Screenshot_28-3-2024_11126_www.timeanddate.com.jpeg

Screenshot_28-3-2024_111118_www.timeanddate.com.jpeg

Screenshot_28-3-2024_11729_www.timeanddate.com.jpeg

Screenshot_28-3-2024_11638_www.timeanddate.com.jpeg

Screenshot_28-3-2024_11511_www.timeanddate.com.jpeg

Edited by MajSteve
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Sorry...we'll be in the wrong ocean!

Same here.

Someone posted on another site asking if NCL would be handing out the funny glasses. Probably a reasonable question until I realized her cruise was nowhere near the path.

I was right in the path for the last one -watched from my back porch.

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Same here for the Southeast US.  Very strange...all the birds got really quiet.  I *think* we even heard a few crickets!  (mid-afternoon...)

I was visiting family who lived in the "path of totality" during the 2017 eclipse and remember that too -- very dark, no birds & definitely crickets!  Sudden switch back to birds and no crickets once the moon moved off. 

• Haha 1

I'm hoping to be in the path of totality, or whatever it's called. We won't be on a cruise ship, so I'm wishing you the best at seeing a little of the eclipse. I wonder if, with the far larger horizon, you'd see more than we land lubbers will. 

2017 was spent deep in the Sawtooth Range at Alice Lake where friends, one of my dogs, and I backpacked to spend eclipse day far from other people! What a wonderful experience that was. As the sun was setting, my dog decided to wander into the tent to take a nap. I'm still thinking it's because it was getting darker and so much cooler. 

It'll be a much more mundane experience this year, somewhere in Ohio, NY, or VT - basically wherever the clouds aren't that's within a day's drive. I'm jealous of those on a boat who can see it (even if not in totality) from their balcony, with a drink in hand!

20 hours ago, CookieShip said:

We did a trip for totality back in 2017, very unique experience! In addition to the birds and bugs that people mentioned, plants like sunflowers droop down. 

Will be in Arkansas with fingers crossed for good weather. My officemate raved about the totality in Georgia in 2017 so off we go!

• Like 1