Back to Back Question

Good evening all.  We are looking to book a back to back for next summer and we have never done one.  For those who have done a b2b on Carnival, what is the turnover process?  I've heard on RCL that b2b peeps are the last to get off, go to the desk to settle the account, then get right back on.  Is carnival similar?

The procedure can vary based on where the turnaround port is.  The information posted above assumes the B2B is done in a U.S. port.  I did a B2B last summer in Europe, from the port of Dover.  We did not have to disembark. We were given instructions to report to a certain lounge at a certain time to check in and get our new key cards.  Our onboard accounts for the first cruise were closed out and a new account was opened. This happened automatically; we did not have to go to the front desk for any purpose 

If we wanted to disembark to explore the port city, we were given a pass to re-board the ship in a separate line from the passengers embarking for the 2nd cruise.

I was in the same cabin for both cruises, so I didn’t have anything to coordinate with my cabin steward. But my understanding was those switching cabins did need to pack up, and the room stewards would assist in transferring luggage.  

• Like 1

We dis a B2B in New Orleans, we met with staff at a specific location, led of the ship and right back on, they replaced our Sale and Sign cards and we were on. Very interesting how the the demarcation and embarkation process was occurred. Alot of fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MEUB1112 said:

We dis a B2B in New Orleans, we met with staff at a specific location, led of the ship and right back on, they replaced our Sale and Sign cards and we were on. Very interesting how the the demarcation and embarkation process was occurred. Alot of fun.

also, when we did our back to back, and came back on, they had mimosa's waiting for us in the atrium bar.   

• Like 1

I did a B2B on Horizon in October. You'll get a letter in your stateroom detailing the process.

With the letter was a pass to let you back on the ship if you opted to disembark with the other passengers and spend the day ashore.

The other option, which I chose, was to wait in the designated area (one of the MDRs) until the ship was empty of non-B2B passengers. There they distributed the Sail and Sign cards for the next cruise. When the ship was clear of non-B2B passengers, the staff led us off the ship where we scanned out with the old S&S card for the last time, went down to immigration and did the face scan, then waited in line until it was time to re-board (not very long). For a short while we had the ship to ourselves.

I took the opportunity to enjoy the Havana pool area, since I was not staying in a Havana cabin it was my only opportunity to check it out before the passengers arrived.

Have fun!

• Like 2

What everyone said above is accurate. In Galveston, we did not have to leave the ship. Customers came to us and processed us through while we were at our meeting point. Then, straight to the lobby for mimosas, which has since changed to a drink coupon.

• Like 1

We're looking forward to our first B2B in a couple weeks. I'm a little sad they aren't doing the mimosas anymore - seems like that would be something that adds to the celebratory feel. But we'll have Cheers so we'll just get our own. 🙂

On that note, I have a Cheers question for B2B. When we reboard the ship, will bars still or already be open? And/or can we use Cheers (from cruise #1) the morning of turnover day to get mimosas (to put in our fridge for after we reboard)? Then does the count for Cheers start over with the new card/new cruise? Not that we're likely to hit 15 in a day, but who knows. 😂

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Knights on the Beach said:

We're looking forward to our first B2B in a couple weeks. I'm a little sad they aren't doing the mimosas anymore - seems like that would be something that adds to the celebratory feel. But we'll have Cheers so we'll just get our own. 🙂

On that note, I have a Cheers question for B2B. When we reboard the ship, will bars still or already be open? And/or can we use Cheers (from cruise #1) the morning of turnover day to get mimosas (to put in our fridge for after we reboard)? Then does the count for Cheers start over with the new card/new cruise? Not that we're likely to hit 15 in a day, but who knows. 😂

No bars are open on debarkation morning, and the bars do not open until the new passengers begin boarding. We're doing the same B2B,  so we'll see you on board. 😀

Edited to add that on our Venezia B2B last September,  we did receive Mimosas. This varies by ship and the Hotel Director. 

Edited by Jamman54
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

No bars are open on debarkation morning, and the bars do not open until the new passengers begin boarding. We're doing the same B2B,  so we'll see you on board. 😀

Edited to add that on our Venezia B2B last September,  we did receive Mimosas. This varies by ship and the Hotel Director. 

Is Java Blue open all morning or does it close for a while?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

Well that stinks, you might see me mimosaless and pouting then. LOL I was hoping Ocean Plaza Bar would be open for coffee that morning and we could grab a couple mimosas there. Sounds like I need a plan b. 😂

• Like 1

Just now, Elaine5715 said:

On Sunshine last year everything closed for at least a brief amount of time. At least so they could close out the last cruise and start the new one in their systems.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

9 minutes ago, Knights on the Beach said:

Well that stinks, you might see me mimosaless and pouting then. LOL I was hoping Ocean Plaza Bar would be open for coffee that morning and we could grab a couple mimosas there. Sounds like I need a plan b. 😂

Java Blue is open in the morning and if you have Cheers it will be accepted. However,  I don't think that the spiked coffees are available. I'm not sure about that. It will close for a while. The Ocean Plaza may be open for coffee but nothing alcoholic. I will be checking these things out for sure once aboard. 😎

Edited by Jamman54
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Knights on the Beach said:

Stock up the night before! That's my plan. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

Java Blue is open in the morning and if you have Cheers it will be accepted. However,  I don't think that the spiked coffees are available. I'm not sure about that. It will close for a while. The Ocean Plaza may be open for coffee but nothing alcoholic. I will be checking these things out for sure once aboard. 😎

As a follower of your trip reports, I am requesting this research be conducted.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

As a follower of your trip reports, I am requesting this research be conducted.  

You can count on it. We've done quite a few B2B'S but we never paid that much attention to it before. 😎

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jamman54 said:

You can count on it. We've done quite a few B2B'S but we never paid that much attention to it before. 😎

You and Mrs. Jamman54 have inspired me to book two B2Bs next year

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

My husband sometimes grabs a coffee using Cheers on debarkation mornings. On Celebration in December we went to Bar 820 early for his coffee and my Pepsi Zero. There were other people there getting shots/drinks at the time however we had a delayed arrival due to the port being closed due to weather so I'm not sure if that's normal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Knights on the Beach said:

My husband sometimes grabs a coffee using Cheers on debarkation mornings. On Celebration in December we went to Bar 820 early for his coffee and my Pepsi Zero. There were other people there getting shots/drinks at the time however we had a delayed arrival due to the port being closed due to weather so I'm not sure if that's normal.

Well, we're going to have to do a full investigation for future reference! 😀

• Haha 3

Yeah, the mimosa happy half hour was nice because the rest of the ship is basically shutdown in preparation for boarding. It provided a place to hang out and chat for 30 minutes or so while the crew was working hard on turnaround. Oh well.

• Like 1