Embarkation lunch

Posted (edited)

What time are cabins usually ready on embarkation day? I was thinking of booking lunch at Giovanni’s when we embark to avoid the crowd in the Windjammer. I was hoping to drop off our bags in the room before lunch.

Edited by Nickles76

10 minutes ago, Nickles76 said:

What time are cabins usually ready on embarkation day? I was thinking of booking lunch at Giovanni’s when we embark to avoid the crowd in the Windjammer. I was hoping to drop off our bags in the room before lunch.

Cabins usually open about 1 pm, though sometimes later.

• Like 1

I make a 12pm reservation at a specialty restaurant and take bags with us.  It has never been a problem.  I will be on Adventure in 2 weeks and the cabins open at 1pm

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Havin'fun said:

I make a 12pm reservation at a specialty restaurant and take bags with us.  It has never been a problem.  I will be on Adventure in 2 weeks and the cabins open at 1pm

I just made our reservation for 12:30. My husband figures it’s better to carry bags to a less crowded Giovanni’s rather than an overcrowded Windjammer. The plus side is when we’re done lunch, we can go our room and just chill out for a bit until sail away. 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Havin'fun said:

While this may the posted time, it's not guaranteed. Our posted time last week was also 1:00 but the cabins did not open until about 1:40.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

While this may the posted time, it's not guaranteed. Our posted time last week was also 1:00 but the cabins did not open until about 1:40.

50+ cruises from Florida the rooms have been ready at 1:00 every time.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bouhunter said:

Congratulations on your good fortune. It looks like you've never been a victim of "things happen".

So true, the windjammer is so crazy on embarkation. We eat a huge brunch enroute to the port, that we can get on board and relax without food being any priority. Sail away is a great time to explore the ship staying inside and away from the crowds up top.

On 3/29/2024 at 8:14 AM, bouhunter said:

We don't have as many Florida cruises as you.  Our experience is not close to yours though.  I'd say it's closer to 1:30, and we did have one where they were not ready until 7:00.  (Fog delayed us getting into port until closer to 5:00)

One thing we do is try to carry on as little as possible, typically one bag.  Makes life a lot less stressful not having to drag luggage around.

Never go to the Windjammer on that first day.  Sorrento's is our go to for lunch and it is hardly ever crowded.  Did the Windjammer once and it was so crazy.  Never again.