Edge IV versus regular balcony guarantee

Okay so I’m paid in full, in an infinite verandah room on Edge for Alaska.  I’m happy with my room layout and location, however, the constant hate for the IV rooms has me worried (I don’t anticipate sunning myself in Alaska nor do I anticipate huge AC related issues and felt the IV might actually be kind of useful in Alaska.) There has been nothing available but I could now switch to a balcony guarantee (which of course means I have no clue where we will end up — don’t care on location but rather prefer stateroom decks above/below for sound reasons.) Also, this would be cheaper than what I paid which would stink to “lose $.” Thoughts?

We will be in an IV for the 1st time in the Caribbean in Jan 2025 and we like that it makes the room seem bigger but concerned that the AC shuts off when the window is open

If youre happy with the location, I say stay where you are as the AC thing won’t be a problem in Alaska like it would be in the Caribbean

We sailed in an IV on Apex for a Caribbean cruise and didn’t hate it at all. The AC issue was problematic in hot weather, but we loved the extra space and seating with a floor to ceiling window. I think it would be great for a cooler weather sailing.

Cabin location is important to me. If I were you, I would keep the IV and not take a chance on a guarantee.

1 minute ago, Mrs_Tiki said:

We sailed in an IV on Apex for a Caribbean cruise and didn’t hate it at all. The AC issue was problematic in hot weather, but we loved the extra space and seating with a floor to ceiling window. I think it would be great for a cooler weather sailing.

Cabin location is important to me. If I were you, I would keep the IV and not take a chance on a guarantee.

Thank you.  I feel like it’ll be great in Alaska (I’ve been to Alaska in an OV and that was fine — we spent a lot of time “on deck” for better viewing.  Friends had a balcony and I think the weather cooperated on one day to be out there with some wine watching the world go by.) Once I’ve planned a trip, I get to the overthinking phase…

8 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

We will be in an IV for the 1st time in the Caribbean in Jan 2025 and we like that it makes the room seem bigger but concerned that the AC shuts off when the window is open

If youre happy with the location, I say stay where you are as the AC thing won’t be a problem in Alaska like it would be in the Caribbean

Perhaps it’s just the paranoia others create…thank you for weighing in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Perhaps it’s just the paranoia others create…

Probably.  Besides, the balcony guarantee will probably be either an IV or a porthole veranda.

• Like 1

Just now, jwlane said:

Probably.  Besides, the balcony guarantee will probably be either an IV or a porthole veranda.

Ohhh…didn’t look like that but that makes way more sense.  If I had another few thousand I could do a magic sky suite…c’mon powerball.  lol.  

8 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Perhaps it’s just the paranoia others create…thank you for weighing in.

Kind of like when a tree falls in the forest, if no one is there to hear it, it doesn't make any noise.  Seems to me that quite a few here come to the forest to create the noise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Liao said:

Kind of like when a tree falls in the forest, if no one is there to hear it, it doesn't make any noise.  Seems to me that quite a few here come to the forest to create the noise.

On all sorts of topics.  😂 I’m going to stick with my IV I think it’ll be fine given the setting and maybe even preferable.  🤞🏻

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Okay so I’m paid in full, in an infinite verandah room on Edge for Alaska.  I’m happy with my room layout and location, however, the constant hate for the IV rooms has me worried (I don’t anticipate sunning myself in Alaska nor do I anticipate huge AC related issues and felt the IV might actually be kind of useful in Alaska.) There has been nothing available but I could now switch to a balcony guarantee (which of course means I have no clue where we will end up — don’t care on location but rather prefer stateroom decks above/below for sound reasons.) Also, this would be cheaper than what I paid which would stink to “lose $.” Thoughts?

If you book a “balcony” guaranteed on an e class ship you would probably end up with an IV.  So there’s no reason to change your booking unless you are moving up to a suite