Mostly Live. Explorer-Tokyo to Vancouver

42 minutes ago, jctdlt said:

What airline were you flying.  Love upstairs on 747.

Delta! It was a few years after the merger with Northwest and the cabin had been re-done with DL flat-bed seating in a 1x1 configuration upstairs. It was like a private jet up there... I would always book it when traveling for work if it was on the route I was flying. Probably got to do it 4 or 5 times.

Ah! 

Up that winding staircase on a 747.  A "trip" back through history.  Northwest Orient Airlines (NOA).  Upper deck was a cocktail lounge with sofas.  Long-hauls from Seattle to Far East; and visa-versa.  Really 1st Class.  

Those days are long-gone, as is NOA. . 

British Airways and United also maintained the upper level for Business Class seating on long-haul flights.  No cocktail lounge, of course.  We always selected seats in Rows 62 or 63. Quiet, and often provided opportunity to exchange greetings with Flight crew when they exited cockpit for a Potty break.

No more 747s on BA or United on these long-hauls.  Not fuel efficient. We were on one of BA's last 747s back in 2019 when returning to SEA from Heathrow following an Explorer segment.  The ensuing 2020 Pandemic accelerated BA's decision to discontinue using 747s.

GOARMY!

• Like 3

OK,  we have been through our second April 20, April 21, and we are now starting April 22, I think. As I said we’ve been notified that we have to miss Dutch Harbor and they gave us another port and they passed out the schedule. But then last night I got excursion tickets from destination services that say today we’re going to be in Kodiak Alaska. So I’m not the only one that gets confused. I will head down to destination services this morning to make sure where we are.   
The second April 20 was uneventful, except our trivia team placed first.

April 21 was a Sunday and they had the Sunday brunch. The way they have it scheduled they’re really wasn’t a crowd whenever you wanted to go. It was a very nice display and I’m glad we went.

I have no pictures but I need to say how great the food has been in Compass Rose. We are on our 21st or 22nd day and I have not seen a repeat in the menu.

I will provide more details from either out to sea or Kodiak Alaska, once I figure out where we’re going to be

• Like 2

On 4/18/2024 at 4:00 PM, mj_holiday said:

Wednesday, April 17 Otaru 

A local brewery, in fact, it brews a Otaru beer. This was a very large warehouse and had a hint of Germany in their bar. DH ordered a beer and I ordered a Pilsner. The beer was very good. They did their brewery for those and the copper tanks were right in the middle of the public area. IMG_3587.thumb.jpeg.4b04276b1128bf0872be7d864688151a.jpeg

Beer looks great wish they served them on tap like that on the ship!

On 4/20/2024 at 8:53 PM, Nachosdelux said:

There was only the option to make specialty dinner reservations on the "first" April 20.

It is a limitation of the computer system.

When we boarded, we were able to make a reservation for the "2nd" April 20 (which was wide open)

It is now snowing!

Nice I'll have to remember that trick

After six days at sea, we can finally walk on solid land. 
The first thing we did was turn our phones off of airplane mode so that we could get the correct time on our phones.

The excursion was a panoramic drive around Kodiak. You really didn’t get to see that much because windows were fogged, but stopping outside the bus (a school bus at that.) you could see beautiful vistas.

IMG_3613.thumb.jpeg.94c05e9ba9c2071bf322dcc416d64c60.jpeg

The extemporaneous talk of the driver was very interesting, such as 99% of the power used on Kodiak is renewable.IMG_3614.thumb.jpeg.1810d9de4bb713e0fc936ac1fd6955aa.jpegIMG_3615.jpeg.f3e651ef8a0a56ae22d1e10127c0ea4e.jpeg

In search of a toilet I found this. 
After the tour I went in search of a pharmacy to get some stuff that we’ve run out of. I headed to a small Safeway store that had 95% of its shelves devoted to liquor and beer. The guy at the register was able to help me with a small display that they had, and I found some of what I needed. 

Back to the ship in time for trivia and we placed third again. We had an excellent dinner, everything from the selection to the taste, and the service was very good. 

• Like 3

IMG_3622.thumb.jpeg.11d3cba049e7d52fb53860ec129dbb41.jpegApril 24, Homer, Alaska
it was a beautiful day and we took the shuttle bus into town. The shuttle bus was very convenient and went to three places around the town. We went through all three stops and decided on a stop on the strip we walked into the first building we saw with an open sign and it looked familiar. I’m sure I’ve seen it on TV on some travel show they did not have food but they had cold beer and DH I had one and then headed back to the ship for lunch. 
IMG_3620.thumb.jpeg.fb5c02e8d7429dc67d8a8e696011779d.jpeg

IMG_3625.thumb.jpeg.ab4beb4b2ef823a5eb165ea1247e53b1.jpeg

• Like 3

April 25 Seward
Seward is a large port with lots of stuff going on. As I got off the ship to take the shuttle into town, I suddenly realized there weren’t any arrows telling me which way to go. We have spent 15 plus days in Japan where there was an abundance of arrows to make sure we knew which way to go. Not only were there no arrows today, but there were no other regents guest just then for me to follow. Well, I headed out of port and yes I got stopped and told I was going the wrong way. 

I finally made it out of the port, and after being turned around a couple times to get to the correct bus and the correct side of the temporary fence I was in line for the shuttle. There was another cruise in port today. Each ship was running a shuttle plus the port itself had a shuttle.
The town of Seward had a lot more homes and businesses and hotels than I had imagined. We have been here 15 years ago just going from the train to the ship in the rain. So it was very interesting seeing the town. Lots of the homes had large windows and plexiglass balcony railings to take in the view, but it must get cold here in the winter. We did not take an excursion, so the walk around town was very interesting. Back to the ship and trivia and we did not place at all. 

IMG_3626.thumb.jpeg.b9d264776f92f1e31945566823c57203.jpeg

IMG_3628.thumb.jpeg.71f4546aba03d9a09acf162b341abb2f.jpeg

• Like 2

Friday, April 26, Cruising Hubbard Glacier.

IMG_3644.thumb.jpeg.1e5ecc6971775cb80618c6f2bfb39bf7.jpeg
The pictures tell most of the story. 

It was a sunny day getting to the bay, was a very pretty sail in. The main glacier and a couple smaller ones were really interesting to see. The narrative was very informative. Apparently, later in the season you have a better chance of seeing the glacier calf. 

IMG_3642.thumb.jpeg.abc0d4eaa2c2143ec95c4ec6fccd2ff2.jpeg

The ship did a 360 turn, so all definitely had a chance to see the glacier

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Saturday, April 27, Sitka
Great sun sunshine started off the day. The port had a couple of golf carts at seat six to take those with some mobility issues parent DH parent from the dock to the shuttle buses, a great idea.

The shuttle buses took us to a central parking lot in town. That would be easy to find when it’s time to head back to the ship.

several of us needed to go to the pharmacy, which was maybe three blocks down the sidewalk. After those errands, DH and I stopped in “. Ernie’s Saloon”, and found a table to sit at.  

IMG_3649.thumb.jpeg.a33c229a0391b0eacdedcc6b28bfac2b.jpegBefore we had a chance to order a beer, a very senior gentleman walked up to us and invited us to join him at his table, which we did. He has lived in Alaska since he got back from Korea and was a wealth of information about the area. He showed us the cut out from the local newspaper which had announced our ship in Port that day. The bar also had a very nice bar dog named George. 

The rest of the afternoon was spent shopping for souvenirs and looking around town. There was a fantastic Russian orthodox church. We had a late lunch in a local establishment, we had fish and chips made with local freshly caught halibut. We split a lunch and still couldn’t finish it all. Just a great lunch. 
IMG_3652.thumb.jpeg.d00904c626bab5424629b64690285c1b.jpeg

Back to the ship for trivia, not good. Ordered a small snack for our suite since  we had such a big lunch. 

• Like 6

One of the best cruises we have ever taken; officers, staff, and crew fantastic.  Lecturers and entertainers wonderful. We won cumulative trivia just icing on the cake.  Orchestra one of the best.  Alvi and geovanni behind the bar even more fantastic. I love Regent. 

• Like 9

18 hours ago, mrlevin said:

One of the best cruises we have ever taken; officers, staff, and crew fantastic.  Lecturers and entertainers wonderful. We won cumulative trivia just icing on the cake.  Orchestra one of the best.  Alvi and geovanni behind the bar even more fantastic. I love Regent. 

It was a great 30-day cruise and wonderful itinerary. Icing on the cake was our winning congenial trivia team!

• Like 2