NCL Jewel-Tokyo to Alaska live review (maybe...)

15 hours ago, natefish95 said:

... I’ve run into a bit of an issue with ATMs. I tried using the 7-11 ATMs but the transaction wouldn’t go through. I called Bank of America and they said my card is fine but they didn’t recognize the transaction type. Went to another bank in Namba and it wouldn’t read my card ... Despite language barriers, everyone has been super nice! 

One of the credit cards that we run into approval issues all the time is our BOA card, especially when the merchant is non-US based - I chalked it up to their fraud detection/protection logics.  Usually, we would get a text alert asking & verifying if we are submitting a payment ... and if we see/reply in time - it will say, try again and it will then go thru.  Great and good if you are traveling abroad (or at home/in the USA for that matter) and have cellular/WiFi access at the moment with your registered mobile number/email access to reply.  

BOA doesn't have a tab to allow the card holder to add travel history / countries being visited so that their "logic" AI system can better decide to approve or reject and notify the user to approve, etc.  Our Chase card no longer need that & it's seldom a problem while Citi has that feature and once we set it up, most overseas transactions go thru without needed to respond ... using 2FA or other secured methods to reply.  

As for the language issues, the Japanese are known to be friendly & helpful ... perhaps, use Google Live Translate (offline dictionary downloaded & pre-installed) can help with simple matters while traveling.  (or, Apple iOS's equivalent "Translate" app) 

Great photos & stories about your land stay/visit and getting around.  Surely many of us finding it very informative, useful & helpful - with thanks again. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

One of the credit cards that we run into approval issues all the time is our BOA card, especially when the merchant is non-US based - I chalked it up to their fraud detection/protection logics.  Usually, we would get a text alert asking & verifying if we are submitting a payment ... and if we see/reply in time - it will say, try again and it will then go thru.  

THIS ^^^

We tried ordering an outside tour vendor a couple months ago (yes, we did it, despite the admonishments about outside tour vendors in the infamous Africa thread). But after trying to reserve it twice, and both efforts showing the charge didn't go through, I assumed it was because of something on the tour operator's site. Wrong...

It turns out BOA declined both attempts, due to the tour operator being a foreign company. What was strange, I didn't get any notification...not even the ubiquitous "Credit card not present" message. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

THIS ^^^  We tried ordering an outside tour vendor a couple months ago ... assumed it was because of something on the tour operator's site. Wrong...  It turns out BOA declined both attempts, due to the tour operator being a foreign company. What was strange, I didn't get any notification...not even the ubiquitous "Credit card not present" message. 

This happened to us last year while in Spain & Portugal ... only saw the SMS/text alert & email later on, used another cc for payment transactions, no problems with Citi.  Nearly forgotten about it until recently when we booked a private ground transfer/tour for our upcoming cruise; here at home - with, you guess it, foreign vendor with a 3rd party processing the payment ... and, it was denied.  DW tried twice to use it when picking up her Rx scripts with a large co-pay at local pharmacy, and denied.  It wasn't until we figured out & connected the dots, and also live chat with BOA support, that we learned it's best to install the BOA app on the smartphone (iPhone) & have it SMS/text enabled, that we can get it re-submitted as a 2nd attempt if their AI logics rejected or denied it.   We are better prepared ahead ... fingers crossed later this month that all goes well ... gotta pile up those double & triple points.   Funny thing is that NCL charges always seem to go thru while onboard and at sea, maybe processing via Miami does make a difference, regardless the cardholder's internet IP address can be thousands of miles elsewhere.  

14 hours ago, natefish95 said:

Going to spa world today was a great choice! 1500 yen to enter and you get use of all the spas, saunas, and hot tubs you could imagine. I got a 30 minute body scrub for 3600 yen which was well worth it. I feel like a smooth baby dolphin. 

For those in DC, King Spa Chantilly is a great place to go for a body scrub and relaxation. IMG_8098.thumb.jpeg.2775da1205e6316c59f65aea66d421e2.jpeg

No gangsters, please (or tattoos)

IMG_8100.thumb.jpeg.535d48cc48e3f8bcce7efc4267797d4d.jpeg

A fresh OJ vending machine for 500 yen (did not try it out)

IMG_8099.thumb.jpeg.aa0ec284010f108bfc26a9a8bbd7977e.jpeg

Oh, I'm really envious of this Spa World experience, but I'm not sure about the Japanese toilet.   That might take some getting used to.

10 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Is this an indoor "street?" Are there mirrors that make it look longer or is it really that jammed up with people for what appears to be several football fields? 

Thanks for trying out McD's! It's always so interesting to see what other countries have. I know some aren't into trying out Americanized fast food, but I find it an interesting meal or two. 

Those cherry blossom and sunset photos - phenomenal! Thanks for sharing nature's beauty with us from across the world!

No mirrors, no optical illusions! It was really that crowded with people! Japanese McDonalds was so interesting. There were so many unique things I wanted to try. Plus, that entire meal was only $12!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

That's correct. It's primarily onsens that cater to Westerners that allow them. Personally, I think tattoos are disgusting and trashy-looking. No offense to anyone who has them, but I was glad I didn't have to see any of them when we visited an onsen last April.

I am so glad you are having this opportunity to visit Japan. Your pictures are stunning and gorgeous. Thank you so much for posting these and sharing them with us. I speak Japanese and it was incredibly gratifying to be there last year and speak the language with the locals. They were so kind. I found the food to be mouthwatering. Make sure (if you haven't already) to get some karaage, some ramen, and some yakiniku. I don't eat sushi, but I found Japan to have tons of other things to eat that were delicious. Keep enjoying your vacation. I'd be interested to know if you ever have performers show up at the pier to send you off. During our cruise in April 2023, we regularly had dancers, drummers and high school bands perform for us during our sailaways. What an unforgettable memory that was! EDIT: I'm also interested to hear what you think of 7-11's over there. Very different from the USA, that's for sure! They have "konbini" (convenience stores) everywhere, not just 7-11, but Family Mart and Lawson seemingly on every street.

7-11, Family Mart and Lawson have been great! I stopped into one yesterday to have an onigiri as a snack. 

this is my first trip to a country where I don’t speak the language fluently. I did some Japanese Duolingo so I learned so basic phrases but not enough to hold conversations. Everyone has been so kind when I’ve asked for directions. The google translate app has been a life saver, especially the Google Lens feature which will translate pictures I take (I needed that to pick the right onigiri haha)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, mking8288 said:

This happened to us last year while in Spain & Portugal ... only saw the SMS/text alert & email later on, used another cc for payment transactions, no problems with Citi.  Nearly forgotten about it until recently when we booked a private ground transfer/tour for our upcoming cruise; here at home - with, you guess it, foreign vendor with a 3rd party processing the payment ... and, it was denied.  DW tried twice to use it when picking up her Rx scripts with a large co-pay at local pharmacy, and denied.  It wasn't until we figured out & connected the dots, and also live chat with BOA support, that we learned it's best to install the BOA app on the smartphone (iPhone) & have it SMS/text enabled, that we can get it re-submitted as a 2nd attempt if their AI logics rejected or denied it.   We are better prepared ahead ... fingers crossed later this month that all goes well ... gotta pile up those double & triple points.   Funny thing is that NCL charges always seem to go thru while onboard and at sea, maybe processing via Miami does make a difference, regardless the cardholder's internet IP address can be thousands of miles elsewhere.  

I called BOA and after battling with their automated prompts (“AGENT”…”AGENT”…”ohmygod no I don’t want to do a survey…”AGENT”) I finally talked to a real person and it wasn’t a fraud issue. BOA just didn’t recognize the transaction type. I tried a few more times using the 7-11 Seven Bank ATM and got the same results. The money exchange actually worked out well. I’ll probably go back there before I head up to Tokyo just in case. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lazonia said:

Oh, I'm really envious of this Spa World experience, but I'm not sure about the Japanese toilet.   That might take some getting used to.

It was…different. I could not stop laughing the entire first time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, natefish95 said:

It was…different. I could not stop laughing the entire first time. 

LOL ... get use to it.  Once you tried, experienced and enjoy it - the refreshing & clean experience ... environmentally friendly as fewer paper tissues are needed on a routine basis.  You can't and really don't want to go back.  Hotels abroad, especially better ones throughout Asia, not just Japan ... also South Korea, Taiwan & even places like Singapore have them ... oops, almost forgot, Honolulu upscale resort hotels too (as they "used" to get huge influx of Japanese visitors to the island)

It's easy DIY install but when we remodeled our co-op, general contractor installed it for us - prices varied widely, better ones are several hundreds & up, with remote & sensors ... high end ones in the thousands.  Replacement parts are expensive as you can't just order it from Home Depot or pick up a generic lid or seat from True Value Hardware, etc. 

16 hours ago, natefish95 said:

After my spa day, I went back to the hotel, showered and took the metro over to Osaka castle and walked around the grounds for a bit. I don’t know if you’d call this full bloom, but the cherry blossoms are definitely in bloom. IMG_8105.thumb.jpeg.3bffe1f1bddc766f06f600b7ddaf70df.jpeg

IMG_8108.thumb.jpeg.556026ad00f83d202b28394a29b463c5.jpeg

IMG_8115.thumb.jpeg.cedb95586d4da6638bcf16fd594e4e8a.jpeg

I am such a great planner (not) that I totally knew I needed to be her at sunset. Perfect timing.IMG_8119.thumb.jpeg.b47988b325c75c1e13bfaf32d359586b.jpeg

IMG_8123.thumb.jpeg.eb8c5195fb015692ebac51a9e9006441.jpeg

IMG_8126.thumb.jpeg.483b12e79b243c3daaa5a8078d809ae6.jpeg

Stunning photos! Thank you so much for sharing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

LOL ... get use to it.  Once you tried, experienced and enjoy it - the refreshing & clean experience ... environmentally friendly as fewer paper tissues are needed on a routine basis.  You can't and really don't want to go back.  Hotels abroad, especially better ones throughout Asia, not just Japan ... also South Korea, Taiwan & even places like Singapore have them ... oops, almost forgot, Honolulu upscale resort hotels too (as they "used" to get huge influx of Japanese visitors to the island)

It's easy DIY install but when we remodeled our co-op, general contractor installed it for us - prices varied widely, better ones are several hundreds & up, with remote & sensors ... high end ones in the thousands.  Replacement parts are expensive as you can't just order it from Home Depot or pick up a generic lid or seat from True Value Hardware, etc. 

I liked them so much I bought one for my bathroom at home.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, natefish95 said:

7-11, Family Mart and Lawson have been great! I stopped into one yesterday to have an onigiri as a snack. 

this is my first trip to a country where I don’t speak the language fluently. I did some Japanese Duolingo so I learned so basic phrases but not enough to hold conversations. Everyone has been so kind when I’ve asked for directions. The google translate app has been a life saver, especially the Google Lens feature which will translate pictures I take (I needed that to pick the right onigiri haha)

That Google Lens feature is great. We used that a lot last year in Japan. Hmm, you live in Arlington and you speak other languages? We need to become friends IRL. I'm a language buff myself and I live in Fairfax County. Keep enjoying your trip. My wife loved getting onigiri from a convenience store when we were there.

6 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

I liked them so much I bought one for my bathroom at home.

Me, too! I first experienced the Japanese bidet when we were in Hawai'i (which sees lots of Japanese tourists). That thing saved us $$ on toilet paper during the pandemic.

• Like 1

I’ll tell yall more about Nara and my Osaka food tour tomorrow. I would highly recommend both. If I forget to link the Viator tour, someone remind me! 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

That Google Lens feature is great. We used that a lot last year in Japan. Hmm, you live in Arlington and you speak other languages? We need to become friends IRL. I'm a language buff myself and I live in Fairfax County. Keep enjoying your trip. My wife loved getting onigiri from a convenience store when we were there.

Send me an email! Would like to connect with a NoVa neighbor. Is there a way to DM on here?

On 4/4/2024 at 1:59 AM, YVRteacher said:

Why can’t people with tattoos go to the spa?

In most of Asia, tattoos are a sign of gang membership.  The "right" kind of people don't have tattoos, and will not go to places where tattoos are allowed.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, natefish95 said:

Send me an email! Would like to connect with a NoVa neighbor. Is there a way to DM on here?

There used to a DM feature, but they disabled it. You can reach me at layclerk at gmail dot com. Thanks, would love to connect with a fellow linguist/cruiser/traveler!

• Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 3:33 AM, natefish95 said:

It's 4:26am here at DCA. I've dropped my bag off at Delta and I'm waiting for Chick Fil-A to open. I'm also about to begin my 24 hour journey over to Japan to tour around on land before boarding the NCL Jewel in Tokyo on April 10th, which will then take us to northern Japan and then over to Alaska, ending in Seward on the April 22nd. 

Full disclosure up front-I have no idea if I'm going to keep up this, but I figured I would at least start it and try to keep up. If I fall off posting, or the wifi connection isn't great, I'll fill y'all in afterwards! 

For starters, I will not be as great as a lot of the other trip reviewers on here. There might be typos. My grammar may not be the goodest, and my pictures may not be award-winning, but you're reading this so you must be at least a little interested in this trip. 

I'm enjoying this review. Back when Covid kicked off we had a Royal Cruise that would have gone from Tokyo to Seattle.....alas it never happened.

• Like 1