Port Everglades to West Palm Beach Airport

I am thinking of getting a flight out of West Palm Beach Airport after disembarking from our cruise at Port Everglades/Fort Lauderdale. Has anyone done this after a cruise? What was your experience? How did you get from the Port to PBI? Taxi, Uber, private car, etc. Any chance the cruise line would have transportation going there? I would appreciate hearing from those who have flown out of PBI after a cruise and your experience doing that..  Thanks for your help.

Flying out of West Palm Beach (PBI) is quite doable. it is about a 55 minute drive between the two. Yes. both TriRail and Brightline are rail options, but unless you have a friend giving you a ride to or from one of the stations you are going to need to build in some extra wait time. You would have 2 changes in transportation modality- car to train yo car. A taxi or rideshare means no transfers between transportation modes.

I used to live around the corner from the port and worked next to the airport. I did take the train because I was going every day and it was M-F rush hour.

It is very unlikely the cruise line will offer bus service. There is not usually a major demand.

PBI is a small airport. with limited food choices and other amenities. It also means security is manageable.

I would be reluctant at this time to boon a Sunday flight after January 20, 2025. PBI would be the airport Mr. Trump uses most frequently when flying to/from Mar a Lago. If he were to win the election, presidential security protocols would return to the airport. The protocols could/would cause unexpected and unscheduled delays for commercial aircraft. This is NOT intended as political commentary. It is simply a statement regarding the impact of security protocols on a particular airport. A parallel example is the impact of presidential protocols on whatever airport Mr. Biden typically uses. If he wins, they will continue to impact the airport after Inauguration Day. If he doesn't, the airport may no longer be impacted.

The other alternative is to rent a car and drop it off at PBI but it seems that post covid the days of cheap one way car rentals between south Florida airports may be over. 

Is your disembarkation on a weekday or weekend?  The former means you will get to experience I-95 rush hour and in that case, I would pad the expected drive time to 75 minutes (and be happy if you get there sooner). 

We use Captains Airport and Seaport car Service     Always dependable.   Very nice people to work with.  We even use then for local transport from house to PBI as well as other airports and cruiseports.

IMG_2723.png

Thanks so much for all your responses. I will look into Captains airport service. I think we will probably go with a pre-booked car service to make things go a little easier on the day we fly home. Thank you all again for taking the time to respond to my questions.

Contact Larry's Limos for a price quote. Used by many Cruise Critic posters. They offer reasonable rates, knowledgeable drivers and dependable vehicles. Personally used them a few times and always satisfied with there service.

• Like 2

On 4/3/2024 at 4:15 PM, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

I'm sure you have your reasons to fly from PBI but that airport is "rarely" cheaper than flying from FLL which is adjacent Port Everglades.

Found a cheaper flight.

• Like 1