Cruise Critic Roll Calls: Post Cruise Reflections

Posted (edited)

Recently back from a 2-week Discovery Princess Hawaiian cruise. Loved joining a roll call for the first time and felt lucky that it was an active one. Come cruise time the same message board camaraderie didn't carry over IMO (I approached someone I recognized from their CC profile picture on embarkation day and feel I was reprimanded by being told essentially that profile and actual names would be done the next day). Anomaly? The usual? Just wondering.

And no, I'm not sensitive...just felt like it was an imposition made on my part that I didn't expect.

Edited by cheetosrevil

29 minutes ago, cheetosrevil said:

Recently back from a 2-week Discovery Princess Hawaiian cruise. Loved joining a roll call for the first time and felt lucky that it was an active one. Come cruise time the same message board camaraderie didn't carry over IMO (I approached someone I recognized from their CC profile picture on embarkation day and feel I was reprimanded by being told essentially that profile and actual names would be done the next day). Anomaly? The usual? Just wondering.

And no, I'm not sensitive...just felt like it was an imposition made on my part that I didn't expect.

You mentioned this happened on embarkation day.  Was there a Meet and Greet as well and if the person you were referring to was there did they act the same?  Maybe they were joking or were having a bad day (although the latter would be rare on sailaway day).

It's rare that I meet someone prior to the Meet & Greet but just like any other gathering some are as nice as they were during our pre cruise chats and others a bit distant.  I hope you didn't let it affect your cruise.

Just now, azbirdmom said:

You mentioned this happened on embarkation day.  Was there a Meet and Greet as well and if the person you were referring to was there did they act the same?  Maybe they were joking or were having a bad day (although the latter would be rare on sailaway day).

It's rare that I meet someone prior to the Meet & Greet but just like any other gathering some are as nice as they were during our pre cruise chats and others a bit distant.  I hope you didn't let it affect your cruise.

The meet and greet was scheduled for the following day, but since we had responded via the roll call I didn't think anything of approaching them. Maybe to your suggestions, but I was just so put off that I didn't go to the M&G scheduled for the next day. No, it didn't affect my cruise, but I was taken aback.

Thank you for your kind response.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cheetosrevil said:

The meet and greet was scheduled for the following day, but since we had responded via the roll call I didn't think anything of approaching them. Maybe to your suggestions, but I was just so put off that I didn't go to the M&G scheduled for the next day. No, it didn't affect my cruise, but I was taken aback.

Thank you for your kind response.

Some people are just weird. You should have gone to the M&G as for every grouch there are plenty of nice people. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, leck57 said:

Some people are just weird. You should have gone to the M&G as for every grouch there are plenty of nice people. 

Was just about to say the same thing!  Well maybe with slightly different word but the same sentiment.  There's all sorts of people in this world and on Cruise Critic too, some pleasant, others not so much!

• Like 3

In the words of Forrest Gump, Roll Calls are like a box of chocolates - you never know what you are going to get. 

We have had amazing roll calls where we have made lifelong friends, nonexistent roll calls where virtually no one signs on, or roll calls that were engaging in advance but didn’t live up to expectations onboard. 

The best you can generally hope is you find a few kindred spirits who may become your trivia crew, drinking or gambling buddies, shared excursion adventurers, dining partners, or, at the very least people with whom you can exchange pleasantries when you run into them onboard or in port. 

So sorry this one didn’t work out for you, but hopefully the next one will. All roll calls are definitely not created equally, so do give it another try on your next cruise. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

In the words of Forrest Gump, Roll Calls are like a box of chocolates - you never know what you are going to get. 

We have had amazing roll calls where we have made lifelong friends, nonexistent roll calls where virtually no one signs on, or roll calls that were engaging in advance but didn’t live up to expectations onboard. 

The best you can generally hope is you find a few kindred spirits who may become your trivia crew, drinking or gambling buddies, shared excursion adventurers, dining partners, or, at the very least people with whom you can exchange pleasantries when you run into them onboard or in port. 

So sorry this one didn’t work out for you, but hopefully the next one will. All roll calls are definitely not created equally, so do give it another try on your next cruise. 

Ah, thank you so much for your eloquent words.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Was just about to say the same thing!  Well maybe with slightly different word but the same sentiment.  There's all sorts of people in this world and on Cruise Critic too, some pleasant, others not so much!

Thank you! Will put my toe in the pond again for a future cruise, so to speak.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

20230627_115019.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sorry that happened.  I approached someone from my roll call in the embarkation lounge.  Their picture was their avatar so I knew it was them.  They were very nice.  All kinds of people in this world.  Don't let that one incident spoil things.  Join another roll call for another cruise and forget about this last one.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, dickinson said:

Sorry that happened.  I approached someone from my roll call in the embarkation lounge.  Their picture was their avatar so I knew it was them.  They were very nice.  All kinds of people in this world.  Don't let that one incident spoil things.  Join another roll call for another cruise and forget about this last one.

Thank you for sharing. Great advice... thank you so much!

4 hours ago, cheetosrevil said:

Sounds like your experience is a bit of an anomaly.  I have some really nice stories of people we chatted with on our roll calls and met on the ship and had a great time. There are two couples that we met in 2012 and we (I) are still cruising with them today.

37 minutes ago, nasa1974 said:

Sounds like your experience is a bit of an anomaly.  I have some really nice stories of people we chatted with on our roll calls and met on the ship and had a great time. There are two couples that we met in 2012 and we (I) are still cruising with them today.

That’s what I was hoping for, but it didn’t happen. I won’t lay all blame on others, I just had a higher expectations. Great to hear and thank you.

• Like 1

I have organized a few Meet and Greets (from the Cruise Critic Roll Calls).  99% of the participants are usually very friendly and are more than willing to share what they know about the cruise, port, etc.  

On your next cruise, offer to help with the Meet and Greet.  Make name tags, keep a spreadsheet, plan an activity, etc.  I do hope you enjoyed your cruise over to our islands.  I had a friend on your cruise and we were able to meet in Honolulu.