Dynamic Pricing

buchanan101

13 minutes ago, Isr45 said:

We are diamond (250 plus days) on Seabourn and love the Ovation and Encore size ( approx 600 passengers) but wanted to try QG.
We expect to love the suite and the food but accept the Terrace won’t compare to the Retreat on Seabourn where we book for the full cruise. We view this as a different experience but probably a one off but are fine to try 😀

I don’t know about Seabourn, but have certainly found the Grills Terraces one of the high points of the Vistas - metaphorically, but also, of course, literally. Especially when the ice creams appear in the middle of a hottish afternoon.

42 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I don’t know about Seabourn, but have certainly found the Grills Terraces one of the high points of the Vistas - metaphorically, but also, of course, literally. Especially when the ice creams appear in the middle of a hottish afternoon.

Looking forward to the infinity pools on the Grills Terrace on QA when sailing down the fjords...

Guessing they may get a bit full.

Grills Terrace on QM2 seems a little poor in comparison (but was unused on our October crossing...)

4 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Looking forward to the infinity pools on the Grills Terrace on QA when sailing down the fjords...

Guessing they may get a bit full.

Grills Terrace on QM2 seems a little poor in comparison (but was unused on our October crossing...)

Yes, I agree there is little to say in favour of the Grills Terrace on QM2, except it is very well protected from the wind.

Seabourn Retreat has 15 cabanas ( 2 people per cabana) with 5 staff. They are constantly providing drink/food/ice cream etc.

Each cabana has 2 thickly padded sunloungers plus a dining table outside. Inside, if don’t want to be in the sun, is a large comfy settee to relax on, coffee table, large tv screen, slippers, rug, dressing gown and headphones - and of course your chilled bottle of champagne.

What I have seen online and read of the Queen Victoria grills terrace suggests there will be no comparison. 
However, we are looking forward to the suite and the restaurant 😀

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Isr45 said:

Seabourn Retreat has 15 cabanas ( 2 people per cabana) with 5 staff. They are constantly providing drink/food/ice cream etc.

Each cabana has 2 thickly padded sunloungers plus a dining table outside. Inside, if don’t want to be in the sun, is a large comfy settee to relax on, coffee table, large tv screen, slippers, rug, dressing gown and headphones - and of course your chilled bottle of champagne.

What I have seen online and read of the Queen Victoria grills terrace suggests there will be no comparison. 

To some of us, well, at least one, the Grills Terrace sounds much much nicer. I can see little to attract me in the cabanas, if only because they sound so claustrophobic with a view in only one direction. But I’m sure you would be able to achieve much of it on the Q1 balcony, if you have a remotely decent butler. Why on earth would you want a TV (of any size) when you can watch the sea? And on a calm day, there is the Grills Courtyard for dining, which some people enjoy. I usually find it a bit breezy.

What you also omitted to mention, which I think makes quite a difference, is how much extra the cabana is, on top of the already high prices.

But from what you say, I’m sure you’ll be disappointed on the Vista. 😀

Edited by exlondoner

36 minutes ago, Isr45 said:

Can this price be correct?!

'Full-day rentals at $349 on sea days and $249 on port days...' for the Seabourn Retreat areas?

You'd be right to expect constant deliveries of food and drinks to your sun lounge for that amount of money. And I'd rather not have a screen outside or have to be sitting near anyone else viewing a large screen. That's one of the issues I have with the new Queen Anne - the outdoors super-screen over the pool area. A noisy intrusion.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

@LittleFish1976 I think the screen is for evening screenings of films?

I had a brief encounter with a different cruise line not so long ago that uses the large above the pool screens and found they played very loud movies on them even during the day. Put a new spin on spending a port day enjoying the spa and pool area largely to myself  (almost alone but for the company of a mega-decibel film of questionable quality!).

If Cunard plan to do it differently, so much the better. I hope that's the case.

Edited by LittleFish1976

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Can this price be correct?!

'Full-day rentals at $349 on sea days and $249 on port days...' for the Seabourn Retreat areas?

You'd be right to expect constant deliveries of food and drinks to your sun lounge for that amount of money. And I'd rather not have a screen outside or have to be sitting near anyone else viewing a large screen. That's one of the issues I have with the new Queen Anne - the outdoors super-screen over the pool area. A noisy intrusion.

Response to last few posts 😀

This there is a misunderstanding here - each cabana has its own tv and Bluetooth headphones in case you wish to relax in shade and watch a movie/listen to a music chanel. You can open the back doors  of the cabana and lie and watch the sea if you wish 😀

There is no large screen and no noise - Retreat is extremely peaceful. Retreat is its own deck and is not claustrophobic in any way. I enjoy having the option of sun/shade next to each other as husband is a true sunbather and I also like shade.

As regards cost: if you are booking one day your prices are correct. I book a full cruise: this is priced at $100 a day BUT you receive $50 dollars a rebate a day to spend in the spa ( when and however you wish) - my husband is a spa person so easily spends this on massages etc. In addition you receive an upgraded bottle of champagne each day ( roughly £40 to buy in UK supermarket. As husband also loves champagne we find the deal a no brainier for us. 

Re laying on our own balcony - Wintergarden suite on Seabourn contains two balconies ( one open with sunbeds and table/chairs and one all enclosed glass with a jacuzzi and sunbeds. Although this is very nice - is is not the same as the Retreat where you are constantly asked what you want and immediately provided with it.

1 hour ago, Isr45 said:

Response to last few posts 😀

This there is a misunderstanding here - each cabana has its own tv and Bluetooth headphones in case you wish to relax in shade and watch a movie/listen to a music chanel. You can open the back doors  of the cabana and lie and watch the sea if you wish 😀

There is no large screen and no noise - Retreat is extremely peaceful. Retreat is its own deck and is not claustrophobic in any way. I enjoy having the option of sun/shade next to each other as husband is a true sunbather and I also like shade.

As regards cost: if you are booking one day your prices are correct. I book a full cruise: this is priced at $100 a day BUT you receive $50 dollars a rebate a day to spend in the spa ( when and however you wish) - my husband is a spa person so easily spends this on massages etc. In addition you receive an upgraded bottle of champagne each day ( roughly £40 to buy in UK supermarket. As husband also loves champagne we find the deal a no brainier for us. 

Re laying on our own balcony - Wintergarden suite on Seabourn contains two balconies ( one open with sunbeds and table/chairs and one all enclosed glass with a jacuzzi and sunbeds. Although this is very nice - is is not the same as the Retreat where you are constantly asked what you want and immediately provided with it.

Little of this appeals to me, and I did realise the screen was private to the cabana, but I fear you will be dreadfully disappointed by the Cunard experience, though I hope not. 😀

It’s interesting that there are posters asking questions on this and another topic posting who are coming from small/luxury ship cruise lines and checking out Cunard. 
My question - are the higher fares on small ship lines making these pax question the value proposition of those luxury lines and thinking of a more premium cruise like experience vs luxury?
There is no right answer in what line is better and no one should need to defend one’s answer. I see that it’s really hard to compare a Cunard Grills experience with a small ship luxury line experience, even at comparable costs. Cunard’s public rooms and overall wow factor is a plus but the lack of many inclusions in a Grills fare is a negative for Cunard. I’ve never felt that Cunard is a nickel and dime line though, just more a la carte. 
I like my experience in the “Grills” because you’re closer to the intimacy of a smaller ship in the dining room, Grills lounge, and with a dedicated concierge yet have access to all the other amenities and entertainment of a larger ship. Note: I’ve never sailed on a smaller/luxury line. 

Seabourn to Cunard is a different experience and should/hopefully will be viewed in that context.

Because the Cunard product suits us so well, I can ignore any comparisons other than  Isr45's views of the Queen Victoria [I specify this as QE's Q1s are not in the same bracket now as QVs after the rejig of QVs aft] deck 7 cabin and the restaurant.

I'm sure  Isr45 will go with  an open mind and will be prepared to accept the two lines are not the same standard.

9 hours ago, NE John said:

It’s interesting that there are posters asking questions on this and another topic posting who are coming from small/luxury ship cruise lines and checking out Cunard. 
My question - are the higher fares on small ship lines making these pax question the value proposition of those luxury lines and thinking of a more premium cruise like experience vs luxury?
There is no right answer in what line is better and no one should need to defend one’s answer. I see that it’s really hard to compare a Cunard Grills experience with a small ship luxury line experience, even at comparable costs. Cunard’s public rooms and overall wow factor is a plus but the lack of many inclusions in a Grills fare is a negative for Cunard. I’ve never felt that Cunard is a nickel and dime line though, just more a la carte. 
I like my experience in the “Grills” because you’re closer to the intimacy of a smaller ship in the dining room, Grills lounge, and with a dedicated concierge yet have access to all the other amenities and entertainment of a larger ship. Note: I’ve never sailed on a smaller/luxury line. 

There's also the advantage of a larger ship; I am not sure I could convince my OH to go on a smaller ship as she felt a bit unwell on QM2 one day on our October crossing...

She's apprehensive about QA in the North Sea this June... not sure I could get her on to Seabourn even if i could afford it... 

4 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

There's also the advantage of a larger ship; I am not sure I could convince my OH to go on a smaller ship as she felt a bit unwell on QM2 one day on our October crossing...

She's apprehensive about QA in the North Sea this June... not sure I could get her on to Seabourn even if i could afford it... 

Seabourn would be on our potential list if we ever fall out of love with Cunard but at the moment, it ain't broke so is in no need of fixing!

We have had millpond North Sea experiences  and extremely 'bumpy' ones. Find a cosy nook and sit down [with a book in my case] when it's bumpy was the Captain's advice last year. At no time did either of us feel 'ill'.

• Like 1

Friends of ours swear by Azamara, the main reason is because the trips they go on are always port intensive with almost no sea days. They also tell us the there is little entertainment, but they are happy doing nothing.

On the other hand, we like trips that are 50/50 sea days and ports.

We enjoy all the activities and entertainment on Cunard and like #Victoria2, we've found a product we like so no intention of switching.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Friends of ours swear by Azamara, the main reason is because the trips they go on are always port intensive with almost no sea days. They also tell us the there is little entertainment, but they are happy doing nothing.

We enjoy all the activities and entertainment on Cunard and like #Victoria2, we've found a product we like so no intention of switching.

Have booked a New England cruise in 2026 for exactly the 50/50 port/sea days split you mention. Ticks Boston off the list as well.

(Didn't realise Quebec is not on BA network - have lots of Avios - so will be adding a few nights in Montreal to our trip...)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NE John said:

We are not looking to switch from Seabourn - we currently have four 28 - 31 night bookings - it is a product we spend many months a year on and love it - yes we spend silly money but have never questioned the value. We have always accepted on Seabourn that you pay highly for the best suite 😀

However, on Seabourn we have had a few people tell us we should give a Q1 Cunard a go. We are young retirees who are lucky to have the freedom to do however many holidays we want and would just view this as an experience.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Have booked a New England cruise in 2026 for exactly the 50/50 port/sea days split you mention. Ticks Boston off the list as well.

(Didn't realise Quebec is not on BA network - have lots of Avios - so will be adding a few nights in Montreal to our trip...)

It won’t tick Boston off the list, it will just nurture the desire for a much longer visit to this gorgeous city. (Not as nice as London, of course, but close.😀)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Totally agree about the need for seadays.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

It won’t tick Boston off the list, it will just nurture the desire for a much longer visit to this gorgeous city. (Not as nice as London, of course, but close.😀)

I know - it's only an overnighter, and I love New York (and have been 4 times) so I suspect Boston will need revisiting

Went several times on business back in the 90s... the airport only though, and the view from the Big Dig as headed south to RI

Just now, buchanan101 said:

I know - it's only an overnighter, and I love New York (and have been 4 times) so I suspect Boston will need revisiting

Went several times on business back in the 90s... the airport only though, and the view from the Big Dig as headed south to RI

When we called at Boston on QE2 in 1997, not long before Logan became notorious for other reasons, the aircraft lined up on the runway waited until QE2 had passed before beginning to take off. Very wise to avoid even the remotest possibility of the embarrassment of crashing into that tall red funnel, if an engine or two failed. Or perhaps they were just enjoying the view.

6 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

When we called at Boston on QE2 in 1997, not long before Logan became notorious for other reasons, the aircraft lined up on the runway waited until QE2 had passed before beginning to take off. Very wise to avoid even the remotest possibility of the embarrassment of crashing into that tall red funnel, if an engine or two failed. Or perhaps they were just enjoying the view.

What's their excuse when lining up at Heathrow?!

2 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Damn - I was looking for some sort of joke about what is worth a look at the end of LHR runways...

In the days when I dared to go in aeroplanes, I always enjoyed seeing the queue on the M25. Otherwise I imagine it comes down to how you feel about reservoirs. On the other hand the approach over central London is incomparable.