Dynamic Pricing

buchanan101

1 hour ago, buchanan101 said:

I know - it's only an overnighter, and I love New York (and have been 4 times) so I suspect Boston will need revisiting

Went several times on business back in the 90s... the airport only though, and the view from the Big Dig as headed south to RI

Two full days will give you a good feel for Boston. Walking the Freedom Trial (it’s self-guided so you don’t need a ship tour) is a good intro to the city.  Museum of Fine Arts if it’s a rainy day. See if there’s an excursion to Lexington and Concord, that will give you a feel of the Boston countryside and see where our independence started. I understand all is forgiven and we’re allowed to come back…

2 hours ago, Isr45 said:

We are not looking to switch from Seabourn - we currently have four 28 - 31 night bookings - it is a product we spend many months a year on and love it - yes we spend silly money but have never questioned the value. We have always accepted on Seabourn that you pay highly for the best suite 😀

However, on Seabourn we have had a few people tell us we should give a Q1 Cunard a go. We are young retirees who are lucky to have the freedom to do however many holidays we want and would just view this as an experience.

and when trying Cunard Vista  Q1s I am so glad you picked QV and not QE as I think the lack of a second/guest bathroom would be a definite minus and although I have not been in any top QM2 cabins, I would think them quite sumptuous and on a different level [literally too in the duplexes]  again to her sisters.

So  with the present three ships in mind, logic says, not all Cunard top cabins are of the same calibre so a generalisation can't be made.

Just enjoy the lovely cabin you have booked. 🙂

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, NE John said:

Two full days will give you a good feel for Boston. Walking the Freedom Trial (it’s self-guided so you don’t need a ship tour) is a good intro to the city.  Museum of Fine Arts if it’s a rainy day. See if there’s an excursion to Lexington and Concord, that will give you a feel of the Boston countryside and see where our independence started. I understand all is forgiven and we’re allowed to come back…

not two full days though - arrive afternoon/depart afternoon

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buchanan101 said:

Then focus on Freedom Trail and North Boston (Little Italy). Boston Common is great to hang out too. 

Just now, NE John said:

Then focus on Freedom Trail and North Boston (Little Italy). Boston Common is great to hang out too. 

So don't bother where you guys ruined some perfectly good tea by throwing it in the harbour, or is that on the trail?

18 minutes ago, NE John said:

'The shot heard round the world'!

I love Boston; the history of the surrounding area; the home of the Minuteman [I thought we were talking people of small stature before I learnt of the history]; Duck Tours; the swan boats and Boston Pops and...

Wonderful area of the US.which we've explored many times. Well worth packing as much as possible into an overnighter.

• Like 1

Just now, Victoria2 said:

'The shot heard round the world'!

I love Boston; the history of the surrounding area; the home of the Minuteman [I thought we were talking people of small stature before I learnt of the history]; Duck Tours; the swan boats and Boston Pops and...

Wonderful area of the US.which we've explored many times. Well worth packing as much as possible into an overnighter.

Will do, but it's not for 2.5 years!!! Getting s bit daft how far out they are taking bookings, but heavily discounted and it's a holiday in the pipeline...

Quite fancy Vancouver to San Francisco - effectively a sea transfer between two places I want to go;  have to look them up!

2 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Will do, but it's not for 2.5 years!!! Getting s bit daft how far out they are taking bookings, but heavily discounted and it's a holiday in the pipeline...

Quite fancy Vancouver to San Francisco - effectively a sea transfer between two places I want to go;  have to look them up!

OH! OK. Plenty of time to plan then.

Great fun thinking about future holidays though isn't it. 🙂

10 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

So don't bother where you guys ruined some perfectly good tea by throwing it in the harbour, or is that on the trail?

Yes. Boston is quite compact and you’ll see Tea Party site on the Trail. Aquarium is near Tea Party site too. 

2 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

OH! OK. Plenty of time to plan then.

Great fun thinking about future holidays though isn't it. 🙂

I think they are stopping using Vancouver though in 2025 - will be Seattle - so no Short cruise from Vancouver to SF after this Sept

5 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

I think they are stopping using Vancouver though in 2025 - will be Seattle - so no Short cruise from Vancouver to SF after this Sept

No problem. Fly to Vancouver and spend a few days there, [fabulous city and surrounding area] then fly onto Seattle, also a great city to explore for a couple of days.

There have been many comparisons between Seabourn and Cunard's QG. Friends have recently had their first cruise on Seabourn. They loved it.

They told me they had a small suite. Seabourn's website gives the measurements of the ocean view suites as 295 sq. ft. and the Veranda suites are between 246 and 302 sq. ft. not including the balcony  From the photos they are similar to PG on Cunard's Vistas.  Cunard's smallest QG suites are about 500 sq. ft. which I believe includes the balcony.  These differences should be considered when making comparisons.

50 minutes ago, NE John said:

Yes. Boston is quite compact and you’ll see Tea Party site on the Trail. Aquarium is near Tea Party site too. 

I like Boston and it's a walkable city to explore. The aquarium is excellent.

But I can't agree with the freedom trail suggestion. There are too many "points of interest" that are just plaques on a modern building. "On this site, the Boston Massacre took place in [year]" and I'm looking at a 20th century high-rise. Yes, look for some historic places, but don't make the map a pilgrimage to every "site." 

9 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

There have been many comparisons between Seabourn and Cunard's QG. Friends have recently had their first cruise on Seabourn. They loved it.

They told me they had a small suite. Seabourn's website gives the measurements of the ocean view suites as 295 sq. ft. and the Veranda suites are between 246 and 302 sq. ft. not including the balcony  From the photos they are similar to PG on Cunard's Vistas.  Cunard's smallest QG suites are about 500 sq. ft. which I believe includes the balcony.  These differences should be considered when making comparisons.

Unfortunately you cannot compare Seabourn and Cunard for the term suites. Seabourn advertises as all suite ships - they say this as the size of a basic cabin is similar to suites on other lines- they are not suites.

Their ocean view suite which you are referring to is a cabin without a balcony ( only found on the older two ships now I think) - this is the size you are referring to above. The next up is a verandah cabin ( 300 sq and 65 sq balcony) and not a suite.

The smallest suite is actually the Penthouse (440sq and 100 sq balcony) - this would equate to a QG starter suite. There are an additional 5 higher suites: only the top 4 categories are classed as premium suites on Seabourn - these give transport to and from ship and various other things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

What's their excuse when lining up at Heathrow?!

The shortage of two more runways that any self respecting national hub would have.

2 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

Of course, if you've done it before, as we have, and Cunard repeat one of their excursions that we took in Boston, then I highly recommend this excursion to Salem...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2016/08/25/one-way-to-do-salem/

RichardatSalemWitchMuseum.thumb.jpg.8a4d49c3d033936181c0f929cd510d12.jpg

RichardatSalemWharf.thumb.jpg.4ee8f9215b9cc032187a31b4d5a4a9a3.jpg

An outstanding visit by Cunard.

1 hour ago, Isr45 said:

Unfortunately you cannot compare Seabourn and Cunard for the term suites.

Exactly, and even more so when the diversity of other ship facilities come into the equation.

Not a bad digression from the OP though as I've so enjoyed the irony of the comparators from a now defunct UK cruise forum where similar jousting and one-upmanship was a regular norm.😄

Personally I've sailed both lines and thoroughly enjoyed both and fortunately never the twain shall meet in their respective styles. 😉😉

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Exactly, and even more so when the diversity of other ship facilities come into the equation.

Not a bad digression from the OP though as I've so enjoyed the irony of the comparators from a now defunct UK cruise forum where similar jousting and one-upmanship was a regular norm.😄

Personally I've sailed both lines and thoroughly enjoyed both and fortunately never the twain shall meet in their respective styles. 😉😉

Must admit I rather like the way this thread has run from my original question/comment about dynamic pricing…

Where can we go next. 

One day in Quebec (after Boston and Sydney on New England cruise). Is that enough? Ship acts as hotel for one night then kicks us off. Rather than muck about with another hotel in Quebec and because BA don’t fly from there am now planning to take train to Montreal, spend 3 nights there and fly back to U.K.  With 3 or 4 nights in NYC before the cruise I think that’s quite a nice little east coast tour…

Edited by buchanan101
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Must admit I rather like the way this thread has run from my original question/comment about dynamic pricing…

and the way personal knowledge can help members' new experiences.

Love the way members on this board can help and inform each other.🙂

19 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Where can we go next. 

One day in Quebec (after Boston and Sydney on New England cruise). Is that enough? Ship acts as hotel for one night then kicks us off. Rather than muck about with another hotel in Quebec and because BA don’t fly from there am now planning to take train to Montreal, spend 3 nights there and fly back to U.K.  With 3 or 4 nights in NYC before the cruise I think that’s quite a nice little east coast tour…

Just a suggestion for you @buchanan101 for Quebec and Montreal, though not on a Cunard ship.

We did an excursion to Montreal from Quebec. Here's the link if you like to scroll down to the itinerary section to see how we did both places...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2019/10/28/arcadias-canadian-round-trip/

As for Sydney, well that was so good I even wrote a separate blog...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2020/10/04/one-way-to-do-sydney-nova-scotia/

Fiddle8Richard.jpg.f95dc107e477869642d1f74c48bbb2d8.jpg

Yet another excellent day and a privately booked tour.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, exlondoner said:

In the days when I dared to go in aeroplanes, I always enjoyed seeing the queue on the M25. Otherwise I imagine it comes down to how you feel about reservoirs. On the other hand the approach over central London is incomparable.

Don’t know about London. But the approach, at night, to La Guardia, with all of New York lit up, is a show not easily matched.

5 minutes ago, rmsEtruria said:

Don’t know about London. But the approach, at night, to La Guardia, with all of New York lit up, is a show not easily matched.

Usual direction (from the east) is right over the centre of London, almost straight up the Thames.  Can pick out all the landmarks. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Usual direction (from the east) is right over the centre of London, almost straight up the Thames.  Can pick out all the landmarks. 

Nonpareil.

• Like 1

No surprises here; my favourite airport approach is coming into Nice from the west on a clear sunny day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

Where can we go next. 

We took VIA  Quebec to Montreal and Montreal to Toronto years ago [we flew to Quebec from Toronto] and my only piece of advice would be to book business  seats. It's a great experience so do it in style.

I would say one day in Quebec isn't long enough but you  can pack quite a bit in and get a flavour of the place [a dish of Poutine or a bowl of French onion soup is a must] in 24 hrs. We stayed at The Frontenac for three nights and that suited us.

Montreal was also a three nighter but at least most of one day was spent watching racing at Gilles Villeneuve Circuit on Notre Dame Island.

What astonished us was when a tour guide had difficulty finding some words in English. Quebec Province is French! Quebecois French, but French all the same.

• Thanks 1