Seating at Coco Cay

Hello 

Sailing RC for the second time next year on Icon. One thing that drives me crazy about this cruise line is the uncharges and extra charges for every little thing that would otherwise be included. On our first trip we splurged for the cabana service, which was wonderful for a large family, however this next trip it's just three of us and though we want guaranteed seating, the price just isn't worth it. 

Can you give me some insight as to what the rest of the island is like outside the cabanas in trying to get a seat, including an umbrella? 

Where can we tell if other RC ships will be in port at the same time? I cannot imagine another ship sharing the island with Icon. But if we are, I'd like to know in advance to pay the premium for a seating quieter area. As I've never walked around Coco Cay, only been in the cabana, just wondering how cut throat it is to get seating. Is there actually enough seating for all or no? 

Thanks for any insight you can provide. 

39 minutes ago, smheese said:

Hello 

Sailing RC for the second time next year on Icon. One thing that drives me crazy about this cruise line is the uncharges and extra charges for every little thing that would otherwise be included. On our first trip we splurged for the cabana service, which was wonderful for a large family, however this next trip it's just three of us and though we want guaranteed seating, the price just isn't worth it. 

Can you give me some insight as to what the rest of the island is like outside the cabanas in trying to get a seat, including an umbrella? 

Where can we tell if other RC ships will be in port at the same time? I cannot imagine another ship sharing the island with Icon. But if we are, I'd like to know in advance to pay the premium for a seating quieter area. As I've never walked around Coco Cay, only been in the cabana, just wondering how cut throat it is to get seating. Is there actually enough seating for all or no? 

Thanks for any insight you can provide. 

We are at CocoCay about 10 times a year and NEVER spend a dime out there except for tips.  Even with 2 ships, there is more than enough seating.  We get off right away as we want front row on the beach, but even if you come later, there are plenty of loungers/umbrella to sit under.  We see no reason to spend for the extras.  We have the drink package which works out there.  We love the free buffets and husband loves the Snack Shack, also all free.  I take my own mat out there, so don't have to rent one.  One of our favorite places.  

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, karena1 said:

We get off right away as we want front row on the beach, but even if you come later, there are plenty of loungers/umbrella to sit under.  We see no reason to spend for the extras.  We have the drink package which works out there.  We love the free buffets and husband loves the Snack Shack, also all free.

Agree with all of this (except we have a favorite spot by the Oasis Pool and use vouchers but same idea).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smheese said:

One thing that drives me crazy about this cruise line is the uncharges and extra charges for every little thing that would otherwise be included.

Just curious what uncharges are and what extras do you feel should be included?

• Thanks 1

We've been there with another, large, ship, and had no problem getting loungers and umbrella, even after taking our time getting off the ship.  We never spend anything there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, karena1 said:

We are at CocoCay about 10 times a year and NEVER spend a dime out there except for tips.  Even with 2 ships, there is more than enough seating.  We get off right away as we want front row on the beach, but even if you come later, there are plenty of loungers/umbrella to sit under.  We see no reason to spend for the extras.  We have the drink package which works out there.  We love the free buffets and husband loves the Snack Shack, also all free.  I take my own mat out there, so don't have to rent one.  One of our favorite places.  

I could've said all of this ... except that we don't get the drink package: 

- Drinks cost about $1 more than they do on the ship; something about VAT.  

- We enjoy the food on Coco Cay.  The one problem is that birds want to share!  Since you're traveling with family, definitely plan to have one person stay at the table while others go to refill drinks or get dessert. 

- I have a spring-edged floating mat that I've had for more than a decade ... works great. 

- I use cruisemapper.com to see what ships will be sharing with us.  

Yes, we aim to be among the first to leave the ship, and we head straight to our chosen beach.  Seats are plentiful.  Seats are arranged in sets of 2 + small table and umbrella OR sets of 4 + small table and umbrella.  If you don't get off early, you'll still get a seat; it just may not be an ocean-front seat.  

If you want total shade, try the hammocks under the palm trees just past the entry bridge /to the left.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, bigmoose7563 said:

Just curious what uncharges are and what extras do you feel should be included?

I'd like to hear too.  We spend very little in up-charges, and we don't feel slighted.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

We've been there with another, large, ship, and had no problem getting loungers and umbrella, even after taking our time getting off the ship.  We never spend anything there.

We find this as well.  We always have ample seating at the beach as late as 10am.  Can't tell you about the pool.  We usually walk over mid morning for a drink but rarely pay attention to seating.

M

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I could've said all of this ... except that we don't get the drink package: 

- Drinks cost about $1 more than they do on the ship; something about VAT.  

- We enjoy the food on Coco Cay.  The one problem is that birds want to share!  Since you're traveling with family, definitely plan to have one person stay at the table while others go to refill drinks or get dessert. 

- I have a spring-edged floating mat that I've had for more than a decade ... works great. 

- I use cruisemapper.com to see what ships will be sharing with us.  

Yes, we aim to be among the first to leave the ship, and we head straight to our chosen beach.  Seats are plentiful.  Seats are arranged in sets of 2 + small table and umbrella OR sets of 4 + small table and umbrella.  If you don't get off early, you'll still get a seat; it just may not be an ocean-front seat.  

If you want total shade, try the hammocks under the palm trees just past the entry bridge /to the left.  

Never knew that drinks cost more.  I always use C&A  daily drink vouchers and have not been charged any extra. The $14 drink on the ship is $14 on Coco Cay and that is what I can get for the voucher.  Perhaps for those who pay per drink it is more.

Thanks for the heads up.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Extra charges?

Seems there is quite a bit included on Coco Cay,  especially compared to a beach visit at any island port.

Complimentary:

Lounge chairs

Umbrellas

Hammocks

Pool

Kids water park

Several buffets

Several Snack Shacks

Sports Area - games included

Ice cream

Non alcohol drinks ( tea/flavored water/water)

Live entertainment at Captain Jacks

Life Guards

Music

maybe more

Have to pay for:

Excursions

Alcohol

Private beach areas  with upgraded food

Cabanas and beach beds

Maybe more

I guess I look at the glass half full.

M

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Seems there is quite a bit included on Coco Cay,  especially compared to a beach visit at any island port

That’s how I feel. Since my vouchers work there it’s pretty similar to an AI beach club I would pay for in say Cozumel but included in the cruise fare. Of course It also helps if you love the included food there as much as I do.

• Like 1

The Bahamas just recently expanded the VAT to include all private islands. If you do not have the vouchers or drink package you will pay this tax on any purchases.

2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Never knew that drinks cost more.  I always use C&A  daily drink vouchers and have not been charged any extra. The $14 drink on the ship is $14 on Coco Cay and that is what I can get for the voucher.  Perhaps for those who pay per drink it is more.

Thanks for the heads up.

M

RC eats the tax for the vouchers. But if you're paying for drinks, they've got the VAT added.

3 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Can't tell you about the pool.

I don't care for the Coco Cay pool.  Too loud for my taste, but clearly a lot of other people love it. 

Perhaps for those who pay per drink it is more.

Yes, I mean individually-purchased drinks run about $1 more on Coco Cay.  

I guess I look at the glass half full.

When it comes to Coco Cay, I see a glass with one sip taken out.  

17 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

RC eats the tax for the vouchers. But if you're paying for drinks, they've got the VAT added.

Well, with the cost of the drink packages, RC can afford to take on that bit tax from one day's drinks.  

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Of course It also helps if you love the included food there as much as I do.

The fixings bar for toppings is sooooo goood.  The tacos toppings are the absolute best except for the "sour cream" which seems to have separated into water and 'something'. Someone did not tell the preparers to smooth the sour cream so that the water would not separate from the solids and placed it back into the refrigerator.

The guacamole, cheese, salsa, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, jalapeno peppers, and everything is soooooo gooooood.

Cuban sandwiches are extremely good.

I have stated, "Why can't the ship not make this stuff as good as Coco Cay."

I would eat that stuff, "Everyday,"

No question, the highlight of my trip for dining.

Edited by Engineroom Snipe
Coco Bay is not Coco Cay
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I have stated, "Why can't the ship not make this stuff as good as Coco Bay."

I’m a big fan but the taco bar is pretty identical to El Loco Fresh to me. I ate there everyday on Wonder last month except the one day we were on St. Martin from like 9-4:30. It was my mid-afternoon snack sometime after lunch. Try the Cholula chipotle sauce if you haven’t. I started with Tabasco chipotle  until someone insisted Cholula was better & I agree.

I actually started eating less tacos on CocoCay now that I’m sailing ships with ELF.

I want them to turn the Dog House on the ships into a Snack Shack. Big fan of the chicken sandwiches & funnel cake. At the very least I think they could add funnel cake. It’s a natural fit for the Boardwalk.

50 minutes ago, Minuet888 said:

Allure of the seas is going to be there when I am there on the Symphony.  I"m new to Royal is Allure a bigger boat?

Yes. Same class as Symphony.

10 hours ago, link99 said:

The Bahamas just recently expanded the VAT to include all private islands. If you do not have the vouchers or drink package you will pay this tax on any purchases.

9 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Thanks for the explanation. 
m