What are the birthday special dinners on p&o?

smj777

Can anyone tell me what are the birthday special dinners on p&o. It says 'special dinner in a restaurant of your choice'. I'd like to know what to expect, what does special mean? Has anyone paid for and experienced the birthday package?

I am not personally aware of anyone having the "birthday package" but I doubt that the meal in itself would be anything different from the normal menu of the restaurant of choice - perhaps a few balloons and other decorations at the table and a couple of extra touches such as (another) birthday cake.

One interesting point is about the portrait - have photographers been re-introduced on P&O?

1 hour ago, david63 said:

I am not personally aware of anyone having the "birthday package" but I doubt that the meal in itself would be anything different from the normal menu of the restaurant of choice - perhaps a few balloons and other decorations at the table and a couple of extra touches such as (another) birthday cake.

One interesting point is about the portrait - have photographers been re-introduced on P&O?

There were lots of portrait photographers on Iona last week, they had a great offer of 10 photos for only £100!!!!!!

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)

Strange I have just been looking at the packages, there is a birthday one and I understand the question asked by smj777, but cannot answer it. 

Regards photographers, it depends on the ship, there are none on Aurora and might also be the case for Arcadia and others, but the bigger ships do have them.  I did see photos included in some packages, but the details did mention they were not done on all ships and it gave an alternative of some sort for that if they cannot be done - forget what, it may have been a credit.

Edited by tring

I can answer this question as my partner purchased the birthday package for my 30th celebrated on Iona.

Birthday package involves a free photo, a free cake delivered to your cabin or served in a restaurant (you book the cake at reception), a free bottle of prosecco which you can take to a restaurant without paying a corkage fee (or drinks in your cabin) and then the meal.

The meal is totally free of charge. Any restaurant and any meal. Two starters, two mains and two desserts for you and your fellow guest. Drinks aren't included though.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Lee117five0 said:

I can answer this question as my partner purchased the birthday package for my 30th celebrated on Iona.

Birthday package involves a free photo, a free cake delivered to your cabin or served in a restaurant (you book the cake at reception), a free bottle of prosecco which you can take to a restaurant without paying a corkage fee (or drinks in your cabin) and then the meal.

The meal is totally free of charge. Any restaurant and any meal. Two starters, two mains and two desserts for you and your fellow guest. Drinks aren't included though.

I think you’ll find they’re not free you pay for it all in the package 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

There were lots of portrait photographers on Iona last week, they had a great offer of 10 photos for only £100!!!!!!

That does sound a great offer compared to what any professional photographer would charge in the UK for 10 photos.

We had the Bon Voyage package on Iona. They were offering 14% discount for Valentine’s Day (our cruise was not until March) so plus loyalty discount it was worth a punt. This is what we received. 
Flowers, chocolates, bottle of champagne, robes and slippers, portrait photo and champagne breakfast in bed with half a bottle of champagne. I think we paid £113 and it was a really nice treat. For a birthday it would work for us. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, david63 said:

No balloons now for environmental reasons.

Posted (edited)
On 4/4/2024 at 5:07 PM, smj777 said:

Can anyone tell me what are the birthday special dinners on p&o. It says 'special dinner in a restaurant of your choice'. I'd like to know what to expect, what does special mean? Has anyone paid for and experienced the birthday package?

As @Lee117five0 writes, it's a regular meal in a speciality restaurant. We ate in Epicurean, which I booked before the cruise to make sure we got the time slot. Our son and daughter-in-law joined us, so I changed it to a four-person meal when we were onboard; I used the voucher for the birthday girl and I, and the pre-booking took care of the kids.

If you get the cake delivered to your cabin, you can expect something like this...

I was called on her birthday by Room Service to ask what time I wanted it delivered.

To make the day even more special we had breakfast in Epicurean, good value at £8.50 each.

Edited by TigerB

On 4/5/2024 at 10:37 AM, sandancer said:

We had the Bon Voyage package on Iona. They were offering 14% discount for Valentine’s Day (our cruise was not until March) so plus loyalty discount it was worth a punt. This is what we received. 
Flowers, chocolates, bottle of champagne, robes and slippers, portrait photo and champagne breakfast in bed with half a bottle of champagne. I think we paid £113 and it was a really nice treat. For a birthday it would work for us. 

We did the same for our special retirement / big birthday cruise in January. It was excellent value.

On 4/4/2024 at 11:05 PM, terrierjohn said:

Didn't see one photographer on Arvia just lots of bloggers, they was everywhere like a plague.