Main dining room options

King Amo

Hi all, apologies if this has been done to death, but it's been many years since I've cruised with Cunard. We're doing a med cruise in the summer on QV, and of course I'm already looking forward to it and getting myself back up to speed. 

One thing that appears to have changed since I was last on the QV is that the sample menus don't seem to have the 'always on' section anymore (which would normally include a grilled chicken breast, salmon fillet or sirloin, and I think some pasta options like bolognese. From what I can see, this is now included on the 'club' tier, but not in the standard. Is that correct, i.e. you have to select something off the main menu, or opt to go to the buffet? Reason I ask is that while my son is a relatively adventurous eater, particularly when it comes to seafood, he really isn't into sauces, and the ability to have that simpler fall back option would probably be useful for him, as I want to make sure he really enjoys his food, rather than feeling self-conscious if he doesn't like something. 

Thanks in advance!

The 'always available' options should still be available, even when not printed on the Britannia dinner menu.

Our most recent sailing [November 2022] we only needed the 'always available' choice of entree twice over a 26 night cruise [we did the 'always available' tomato soup for many nights]

Yes, those items are still available, at least unofficially in Britannia, and it includes those items you mentioned. You may well benefit from fixed rather than open dining since that way your allocated wait staff members will quickly understand the situation and can sort out the sauce situation, as well as reverting to the always available items if necessary.

There are a number of recent trip reports in this board for Cunard trips (the Britannia menus are very similar on all 3 current vessels) and those reports often have the full suite of menus - so you can probably work out from these menus / photos how to navigate this. But his tastes don't strike me as that unusual and I'm sure the waiting staff will be very used to it. I don't think you will have a problem. 

Note in particular, that it's very, very easy to have (say) multiple starters and salad options, you don't have to follow the standard meal layout.

Excellent, thanks so much all. That's put my mind at rest. I've gone for open dining as my parents are joining us midway through the cruise so will go from needing a three to a five, but so long as it isn't considered presumptuous to occasionally ask for one of these options when I haven't paid for it, I'm sure we'll be fine.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, King Amo said:

Excellent, thanks so much all. That's put my mind at rest. I've gone for open dining as my parents are joining us midway through the cruise so will go from needing a three to a five, but so long as it isn't considered presumptuous to occasionally ask for one of these options when I haven't paid for it, I'm sure we'll be fine.  

I’m sure the Maitre D can also accommodate you, and when your parents join, to switch to fixed seating if you and your family wish. Or you can start with fixed dining and ask the M’d to adjust tables when your parents join. As stated before on these boards many times - - Just ask! I’m sure the Cunard staff has made just about every table configuration request there can be done in the cruising industry. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, King Amo said:

Believe me, you’ve paid for them. 😀

• Like 1

Mr K is not a fan of a lot of savoury sauces either, though he likes a good peppercorn sauce. Depending on what the sauce is, he will ask for it on the side or to be left off altogether. There are also a lot of vegetables he really doesn’t like either, so sometimes asks to swap the vegetables that go with the protein he has ordered with those from another main course. He won’t eat mushrooms, shellfish or cheese (unless on a pizza) either but has never gone hungry in the main dining room - the bread rolls, consommés and desserts will pad out his evening meal if necessary - and he will have demolished a bowl of crisps in one of the bars beforehand! 

• Like 2