Alcohol brought on board in Singapore

I know you can bring liquor on board for immediate consumption in Europe, but what about Asia? We’ve brought both wine and spirits on board without issues all over Europe like, Scotland, Ireland, Iceland, England, Spain etc. But we are doing a cruise out of Singapore and I’m wondering if it’s the same in Singapore. Has anyone done this?

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Maybe @kwokpot would know😁

As of last October in JAPAN, we WERE NOT allowed to keep alcohol with us. On the Luminosa during our Port stop in Hakodate, Japan we visited a wonderful Sake Factory and bought two bottles of Sake, which were all wrapped up in beautiful Japanese gift wrap, back on board. We didn't say anything when we put our packages on the scanner belt but they were identified and confiscated until the last day of the cruise.  I cannot comment about any other Asian country. 

IMG_20231003_103050.jpg

IMG_20230926_151416.jpg

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, kwokpot said:

As of last October in JAPAN, we WERE NOT allowed to keep alcohol with us. On the Luminosa during our Port stop in Hakodate, Japan we visited a wonderful Sake Factory and bought two bottles of Sake, which were all wrapped up in beautiful Japanese gift wrap, back on board. We didn't say anything when we put our packages on the scanner belt but they were identified and confiscated until the last day of the cruise.  I cannot comment about any other Asian country. 

IMG_20231003_103050.jpg

IMG_20230926_151416.jpg

I was afraid that was going to be the answer. This is a 25 day cruise starting in Singapore going to Vietnam, Malaysia, the Philippines, and Guam along with some stops in Hawaii. The drink package will be incredibly expensive so I was hoping we could bring some alcohol on board in Singapore. I guess not. Thanks for the info. 

9 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

@EllaDuChien do you know about this issue? 😁

I have not tried to bring alcohol onboard from Japan, but we had no issues bringing it with us when we boarded in Singapore. Also, it was not Carnival but Oceania and Royal Caribbean both let us carry two bottles each.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, EllaDuChien said:

I have not tried to bring alcohol onboard from Japan, but we had no issues bringing it with us when we boarded in Singapore. Also, it was not Carnival but Oceania and Royal Caribbean both let us carry two bottles each.

Thanks for the info!  Please let Chef Michael know we shall see him at The Foodie School for "Sliced" on April 22👍👨‍🍳😸

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EllaDuChien said:

Sounds like that's at embarkation,which seems to get allowed everywhere Carnival embarks,but what about subsequent porta of call in Asia?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2024 at 5:04 PM, cruisinqt said:

I know you can bring liquor on board for immediate consumption in Europe, but what about Asia? We’ve brought both wine and spirits on board without issues all over Europe like, Scotland, Ireland, Iceland, England, Spain etc. But we are doing a cruise out of Singapore and I’m wondering if it’s the same in Singapore. Has anyone done this?

I’m trying to remember if a Carnival ship has ever departed from Singapore. If it has, then it’s rare, so not sure you would get accurate info. I sailed the Splendor over there in 2019, so you would have to find someone that then sailed it to Sydney.

Edited by crzndeb

I guess worse case scenario is try to bring on a bottle from a port and if they take it away then you know your parameters. I know I wouldn't want to buy CHEERS for that long of a cruise and if it's port-intensive then you're buying drinks off ship.  I hope OP gets the info they need👍 

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

I guess worse case scenario is try to bring on a bottle from a port and if they take it away then you know your parameters. I know I wouldn't want to buy CHEERS for that long of a cruise and if it's port-intensive then you're buying drinks off ship.  I hope OP gets the info they need👍 

25 days of Cheers would literally kill me.

We travel to see new and interesting things. While we certainly partake onboard, we very much try to limit things. And signing that expensive ticket per round is a good way to do it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jsglow said:

25 days of Cheers would literally kill me.

We travel to see new and interesting things. While we certainly partake onboard, we very much try to limit things. And signing that expensive ticket per round is a good way to do it.

image.gif.a02c185f4142f1c4873f5a565ac672fd.gif

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, crzndeb said:

I’m trying to remember if a Carnival ship has ever departed from Singapore. If it has, then it’s rare, so not sure you would get accurate info. I sailed the Splendor over there in 2019, so you would have to find someone that then sailed it to Sydney.

Carnival is having the Panorama go through dry dock near Singapore so that’s why they’re having this cruise. It’s a repositioning cruise from Singapore to LA. They do it pretty often when ships are dry docked. I did one a few months ago on the Freedom from Barcelona to USA and loved it. 

6 hours ago, ilovesalchows said:

Not sure if you are flying with it, but alcohol is very expensive in Singapore.  

I had no idea, thanks for the info. I guess I’ll have to compare the price of the drink package for 25 days to the cost of Singapore alcohol or just bring some along with me. 

4 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

The Panorama is doing dry dock nearby then repositioning back to the USA so it’s not port intensive either unfortunately.  Thanks for the well wishes 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisinqt said:

Carnival is having the Panorama go through dry dock near Singapore so that’s why they’re having this cruise. It’s a repositioning cruise from Singapore to LA. They do it pretty often when ships are dry docked. I did one a few months ago on the Freedom from Barcelona to USA and loved it. 

Sounds so awesome!! Please keep us posted on how it goes😁

15 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Sounds so awesome!! Please keep us posted on how it goes😁

We are very excited about the new ports we will be visiting. My husband is most excited about Guam and Vietnam. I’m most excited about Singapore, Malaysia and the Philippines. Either way it’s going to be a lot of fun visiting new places and seeing other cultures. I’ll definitely do a follow up and let everyone know how it went. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1