Seabourn newbies. Any insight will be appreciated

Greetings.  My DH and I are sailing Seabourn Ovation next summer (2025) in the Mediterranean.  We are doing a 20 day cruise - started with a 10 and decided to jump in with both feet and add the additional 10 days.  We have a big anniversary to celebrate - what better way, right?

We are curious about the sport platform on Marina deck.  There are many tender ports on our itinerary.  Are water sports offered?

Also, wondering about the Grill by Thomas Keller.  We understand that we can have 1 night in this restaurant.  Is that 1 time for the whole 20 days or 1 time per each of the 10 day segments.

We are not new to cruising, just new to small ship cruising.  Any other pearls of wisdom will be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

The marina deck may never be used in the Med, but let us know what ports you are going to and maybe someone will offer up a case they know of where it has been used in recent years.

In the Caribbean the banana boat etc. are used at Carambola Beach, St. Kitts on Beach BBQ day.

TK Grill has been replaced by Solis (new name, new menu).  You get one reservation every seven days.  When it opens up, you should be able to book two in advance whether you've booked one 20 day cruise or two 10 day cruises.  There will be extra reservations available on the ship. If you download the Seabourn Source app you should be able to see the daily menu for Ovation served tonight and you can watch that for over a year while you count down to your cruise. I find it fun to think about what I'd have for dinner if I was on board.

Also try Earth and Ocean and Sushi which do not take advance reservations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fortunate 2 travel said:

We are curious about the sport platform on Marina deck.  There are many tender ports on our itinerary.  Are water sports offered?

We did a 2 week Greece/Turkey itinerary last summer and the Marina deck was open one day, I believe, in Patmos. They had a zodiac pulling folks on a tube, stand up paddle boards, kayaks, and a hobie cat. My son and I sailed the hobie cat which was interesting as the staff kept everyone in a relatively small area behind the ship. A bit tough to sail when the ship itself blocks the wind for a good portion of the area...and where it didn't...let's just say it was quite breezy. 

• Thanks 1

What a great way to celebrate a special anniversary - congratulations!  

No real “pearls of wisdom“, but in case it helps here is what came to mind:

1. Relax and enjoy; Seabourn and other smaller ship lines have the advantage of it being personal and friendly.  We’ve had a number of “Seabourn moments” where they’ve gone above and beyond to make our time away special, and I hope you find the same.

2. Don’t be shy to ask.  You want caviar on your Eggs Benedict, just ask.  A special menu for your anniversary night?  Meet with the maitre d’ at least a day ahead and it will be all taken care of.  

3. Assuming you like it and plan to come back to Seabourn, the onboard “future cruise deposit” is a good deal; $500pp and it gives you 5% off whatever cruise you use it on, and it’s good for 4 years.  Can only be purchased onboard.  And if you do come back to Seabourn, unlike big ships you will usually recognize both crew and passengers you’ve sailed with before (much smaller community than big ships, with relatively loyal guests).

4. If you have special items that you need/want provisioned let them know as far in advance as you can and they will try to do it for you.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We are veterans of 159 cruises but never on Seaborne, but possibly now. 
we really enjoy Regent and enjoy the shows every night but have heard that the entertainment is a bit more refined on Seaborne:). 
Comments on on board entertainment please. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johng75370 said:

What a great way to celebrate a special anniversary - congratulations!  

No real “pearls of wisdom“, but in case it helps here is what came to mind:

1. Relax and enjoy; Seabourn and other smaller ship lines have the advantage of it being personal and friendly.  We’ve had a number of “Seabourn moments” where they’ve gone above and beyond to make our time away special, and I hope you find the same.

2. Don’t be shy to ask.  You want caviar on your Eggs Benedict, just ask.  A special menu for your anniversary night?  Meet with the maitre d’ at least a day ahead and it will be all taken care of.  

3. Assuming you like it and plan to come back to Seabourn, the onboard “future cruise deposit” is a good deal; $500pp and it gives you 5% off whatever cruise you use it on, and it’s good for 4 years.  Can only be purchased onboard.  And if you do come back to Seabourn, unlike big ships you will usually recognize both crew and passengers you’ve sailed with before (much smaller community than big ships, with relatively loyal guests).

4. If you have special items that you need/want provisioned let them know as far in advance as you can and they will try to do it for you.  

What kind words!  Thank you.  We feel very fortunate to be able to take this trip and can’t wait!  You really did offer pearls of wisdom and they are much appreciated.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fb0075 said:

We are veterans of 159 cruises but never on Seaborne, but possibly now. 
we really enjoy Regent and enjoy the shows every night but have heard that the entertainment is a bit more refined on Seaborne:). 
Comments on on board entertainment please. 

Seabourn is the name of the cruise line on this board 🙂

Have sailed on Seabourn for over 440 days with more booked and on Regent for over 50 days.  Regent entertainment is better IMO, shows and at least on the Grandeur and Splendor - which are the only Regent ships we have sailed on the entertainment in the bars is, in most cases, superior to Seabourn.  

• Thanks 1

We have done 9 or is it 10 SB cruises, all over the world and only once has the Marina Deck been opened!   And we tend to go for hot weather cruises, so I really wouldn't rely on that happening. 

The new Solis restaurant is great, I suggest you book online through SB website, when bookings open up.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Mauzac said:

We have done 9 or is it 10 SB cruises, all over the world and only once has the Marina Deck been opened!   And we tend to go for hot weather cruises, so I really wouldn't rely on that happening. 

The new Solis restaurant is great, I suggest you book online through SB website, when bookings open up.  

How far in advance of the cruise do reservations open?  Thank you for your input on the Marina deck.  

6 minutes ago, Fortunate 2 travel said:

How far in advance of the cruise do reservations open?  Thank you for your input on the Marina deck.  

It really varies, but I got into the habit of checking weekly!

We have just returned from a cruise... and I think a couple of months before embarkation, we booked Solis.  One day you couldn't... next day, voila!

But that was as they were changing over from Thomas Keller to the new restaurant, so it might be more in advance than that for you.  

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Mauzac said:

It really varies, but I got into the habit of checking weekly!

We have just returned from a cruise... and I think a couple of months before embarkation, we booked Solis.  One day you couldn't... next day, voila!

But that was as they were changing over from Thomas Keller to the new restaurant, so it might be more in advance than that for you.  

For fun, I just checked the Seabourn Source app and it still shows The Grill by Thomas Keller.  It will be fun looking for the name change. 

On 4/8/2024 at 4:08 AM, Fortunate 2 travel said:

For fun, I just checked the Seabourn Source app and it still shows The Grill by Thomas Keller.  It will be fun looking for the name change. 

I've got an upcoming Ovation booking and in the Source app it still shows The Grill on the main screen - but if you click on "view more" it shows the current restaurants and their daily menus, including Solis (no TK Grill). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/7/2024 at 7:45 PM, Fortunate 2 travel said:

Greetings.  My DH and I are sailing Seabourn Ovation next summer (2025) in the Mediterranean.  We are doing a 20 day cruise - started with a 10 and decided to jump in with both feet and add the additional 10 days.  We have a big anniversary to celebrate - what better way, right?

Also, wondering about the Grill by Thomas Keller.  We understand that we can have 1 night in this restaurant.  Is that 1 time for the whole 20 days or 1 time per each of the 10 day segments.

We are not new to cruising, just new to small ship cruising.  Any other pearls of wisdom will be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

The Marina deck was used at the tender port of Patmos on our cruise last summer.  We didn't participate but those who did looked to be having a fabulous time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2024 at 7:20 AM, alli.j said:

The Marina deck was used at the tender port of Patmos on our cruise last summer.  We didn't participate but those who did looked to be having a fabulous time!

Do you know if you have to book this or put your name forward prior? I'm a newbie with my first cruise with Seabourn booked for next June.

2 hours ago, ludditeluddite said:

The Marina deck was used one day on our 20 day Sojourn Mediterranean Cruise last year. I was given the impression from Seabourn regulars that it was available more often than not, in the Med.

Not all Seabourn regulars as I would never have implied that as it isn't that easy using it in the Med. There is a lot of boat traffic and getting permission can be difficult. On some Med cruises it is never used and I have done quite a few. 

I don't keep tabs on how often it is used because I am off exploring the port and finding some nice local food.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Huggsy said:

Do you know if you have to book this or put your name forward prior? I'm a newbie with my first cruise with Seabourn booked for next June.

The last couple of times we have had Marina day we have gone to the Club to sign up for it. You have to sign a waiver form and you are given a wrist band so the staff on duty at the Marina know you have signed. It’s no big deal!

• Thanks 2

And don't leave it too late. We missed out the first time as we thought we would wait for the queue to die down then when we went back no spaces available so after that we queued 😂

• Like 1

Please do not focus your cruise around the marina/toys.  I have been on about 15 Seabourn cruises (several in the med) and have never seen the marina utilized.  The only time toys came out was at the Carambola beach BBQ.

There are so many things to appreciate on a Seabourn cruise.  Don't get fixated on something that might not happen.

Enjoy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, brenecke said:

Please do not focus your cruise around the marina/toys.  I have been on about 15 Seabourn cruises (several in the med) and have never seen the marina utilized.  The only time toys came out was at the Carambola beach BBQ.

There are so many things to appreciate on a Seabourn cruise.  Don't get fixated on something that might not happen.

Enjoy.

Not fixated, just curious.  We love sailing in the Med, and the water always looks so inviting.  Looking forward to our experience on Seabourn.  

• Like 1