Hypogeum in Malta - timing?

I have tickets for the Hypogeum at 3:00 and our ships departure is 6:00.  I'm just wondering if anyone who has been to the Hypogeum can offer thoughts on timing?  It looks like we are about 15 minutes away from the port, but now I'm thinking we might be cutting it too close for comfort.  I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks

Claire

Posted (edited)

You should be ok. The visit is one hour, but you should be ready to end it by 4 pm if need be so you can get back to the ship by 4:30. You need a little extra time just in case. 

Edited by marazul

You should be fine. Are you going to arrange to have a taxi waiting for you to get you back to the ship? The Hypogeum is in a sort of residential area and it won't be easy to find a taxi unless you happen to poach one that's dropping someone off for the next tour.

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

You should be fine. Are you going to arrange to have a taxi waiting for you to get you back to the ship? The Hypogeum is in a sort of residential area and it won't be easy to find a taxi unless you happen to poach one that's dropping someone off for the next tour.

Thanks... How would I arrange to have a taxi there?

1 hour ago, zinniagirl said:

Thanks... How would I arrange to have a taxi there?

How are you planning to get there? If it is a taxi, you can arrange for it to wait for you and bring you back. Do that before you get in the taxi. 

I thought you might be doing this as part of an independent tour.

18 hours ago, marazul said:

You should be ok. The visit is one hour, but you should be ready to end it by 4 pm if need be so you can get back to the ship by 4:30. You need a little extra time just in case. 

I think it is also self-paced? You get a device with the recorded tour, I think, so you could speed up toward the end or skip a station if you feel you're running out of time. So I'm told.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

I think it is also self-paced? You get a device with the recorded tour, I think, so you could speed up toward the end or skip a station if you feel you're running out of time. So I'm told.

When we did this in 2019 it was a guided tour. They want to make sure that people get in and out at the same time as they only allow so many down in the caves at one time. They also had the guide to make sure people didn't touch things they weren't supposed to. This is also why you need to arrive at the correct time of your ticket.

We did this as part of a private tour so I can't help with taxi recommendations.

Edited by frantic36
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, frantic36 said:

When we did this in 2019 it was a guided tour. They want to make sure that people get in and out at the same time as they only allow so many down in the caves at one time. They also had the guide to make sure people didn't touch things they weren't supposed to. This is also why you need to arrive at the correct time of your ticket.

We did this as part of a private tour so I can't help with taxi recommendations.

Do you recall how long it took?

1 minute ago, zinniagirl said:

Do you recall how long it took?

It only took an hour. I remember we needed to be there a bit earlier then our booked time so we had a wait then but they were very efficient getting people through.

I also remember a young woman who didn't have a ticket but she was prepared to wait in case someone failed to turn up. Her chances were slim but you never know because the organisers wouldn't wait if people were late.

18 hours ago, frantic36 said:

When we did this in 2019 it was a guided tour. They want to make sure that people get in and out at the same time as they only allow so many down in the caves at one time.

This was also true when I went. You could not go at your own speed. There were certain "stop points" and you had to remain with the group.

• Thanks 1