What happened to My Viking Journey?

Redtravel

I am on a Viking cruise tour now. . Flew on the Viking included air.  Staying in a Viking cruise extension hotel.  I went online to access “My Viking Journey”.  I wanted to see the calendar.  I was surprised to find message, “ you have no active Viking account.” The Viking hotel rep gave me maps, local info, restaurant recommendations , transfer bus tickets, My luggage tags are on my bags for pickup.  Why do they make My Viking Journey inactive?  Could it be inactive while we are in Viking hotels?  Will it return once we embark?
I had thought that I could see My Viking Journey calendar once I was on the ship. I was wrong. 
My spouse asked me what time we had booked a tour. Not being in our cabin, I pulled out my phone and tried to access My Viking Journey.  No access. In our cabin, we had a printed list of tours and times. However, I don’t carry those printed lists with me.  Before the trip, I had really thought that Viking website was very helpful.  Now I am wondering what happened.  Am I doing something wrong?

Posted (edited)

MVJ closes right before your cruise (48 hours?). You need to use the Viking Voyager app once you are on the ship. It has you calendar as well as other information, such as menus, and allows you to make reservations.

All your information is in your final document email. I always store the PDF locally as a file on my phone so I can have offline access whenever I need it.

Viking informs you of the inability to access MVJ after a certain date and tells you to install the app. Maybe you missed it in the email.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

MVJ closes right before your cruise (48 hours?). You need to use the Viking Voyager app once you are on the ship. It has you calendar as well as other information, such as menus, and allows you to make reservations.

All your information is in your final document email. I always store the PDF locally as a file on my phone so I can have offline access whenever I need it.

Viking informs you of the inability to access MVJ after a certain date and tells you to install the app. Maybe you missed it in the email.

Thanks.  Nobody on trip tells you.  Found it

Posted (edited)

Starting 8 days prior to your journey, Viking becomes read only.  We can access the booking but no changes, no transactions.  By Day 1, the information is gone from the MVJ  accounts. Viking sends us multiple e-mails --some go directly to us, some directly to our Travel Agents to be forwarded to us and some to both of us. Some TAs forget to forward the e-mails; so give your TA a heads up and let them know that you want all of the e-mails forwarded to you.   

If there is anything that you want to save from MVJ, do it before you leave home.  

Edited by Peregrina651

I'm trying to figure out if there's anything I need to save from MVJ even? I mean, everything in it has been emailed to us, as far as I can tell. Am I missing something that I might want to screenshot from it? We have our final documents, all our excursions are listed, and our dining reservations too. I'm just wondering if there's anything in it that I might want to save?

Sometimes there are photos that I want to save for the photo albums I put together (just in case I don't get a good photo or the weather is lousy). And I like to print the calendar to a pdf file just in case.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Sometimes there are photos that I want to save for the photo albums I put together (just in case I don't get a good photo or the weather is lousy). And I like to print the calendar to a pdf file just in case.

Got it! I don't see a way to make it a concise calendar though. Like you can see the daily activities, or the full calendar, but it's got all the pictures and such. I have the PDF they sent us already saved, so I should be good then. Thanks!

I wish that I had known this before I sailed.  I am on Viking Mississippi now.  Cruise is good. However, there is definitely a lack of info. We never know what the time frame will be until the evening before we dock. 

9 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

I wish that I had known this before I sailed.  I am on Viking Mississippi now.  Cruise is good. However, there is definitely a lack of info. We never know what the time frame will be until the evening before we dock. 

That is typically of river cruising. River traffic is regulated almost like a railroad. There is typically something like a dispatcher as getting through a lock may be first come first serve. 

On our European river cruises, the schedule was released right before dinner the night before. Even then, river traffic might dictate an early or later departure time.

• Like 2