Bahamas in End of Sept vs 2nd week of Oct

Hello fellow Canadians, 🙂 

Just wondering if i can get your opinion on a situation. 

We are planning our first bahamas cruise with RCL and received quotes on two Itineraries. 

One sailing on Sept 29th (XB), and the second one sailing on Oct 17th (4D). 

Both are guaranteed with differences in price are $400. 

Upon researching, hurricane season is June to November and Sept is the peak. 

I understand it’s very difficult to predict the best date to cruise….. however, i would love to hear what your thoughts on this and whether it’s worth the $400 to delay it for 2 weeks. 

Thanks so much!! 

According to Perplexity, these are the hurricanes that have hit the Bahamas over the past 10 years:

• Hurricane Dorian: August 24 to September 5, 2019 - This was a Category 5 hurricane that caused massive destruction in the Bahamas, particularly in North Abaco, East Grand Bahama, and West Grand Bahama.

• Hurricane Irma: August 25 to September 13, 2017 - This Category 5 hurricane passed over Inagua and South Acklins islands in the Bahamas, downing power lines, knocking out communications, and damaging homes.

• Hurricane Joaquin: October 1-8, 2015 - This Category 4 hurricane meandered over the southern Bahamas for over two days, causing extensive devastation and storm surge that trapped hundreds in their homes.

• Hurricane Matthew: October 3-9, 2016 - This Category 5 hurricane caused massive destruction in Haiti and also damaged several islands in the Bahamas.

• Hurricane Humberto: September 12-20, 2019 - This Category 3 hurricane affected regions like Crooked Island, Rum Cay, San Salvador, Cat Island, Harbour Island, and North Abaco in the Bahamas.

Based on the foregoing, your odds seem better leaving a couple of weeks later, in October. Whether it's worth spending the extra $400 is up to you, but if I was in your shoes, I'd probably pay it. It's a bit like flying into your embarkation port the day before your departure and paying for a hotel and meals, rather than flying in on the day of your departure. It costs more, but it improves your odds of not missing your cruise.

Thank you so so much for providing the stats and your feedback!!! With the historical stats, cruising at a later time in Oct would definitely be on the safer side!!! 

We really appreciate your comment!! 

On 4/8/2024 at 6:30 PM, missyprincess said:

Hello fellow Canadians, 🙂 

Just wondering if i can get your opinion on a situation. 

We are planning our first bahamas cruise with RCL and received quotes on two Itineraries. 

One sailing on Sept 29th (XB), and the second one sailing on Oct 17th (4D). 

Both are guaranteed with differences in price are $400. 

Upon researching, hurricane season is June to November and Sept is the peak. 

I understand it’s very difficult to predict the best date to cruise….. however, i would love to hear what your thoughts on this and whether it’s worth the $400 to delay it for 2 weeks. 

Thanks so much!! 

You might want to look into trip cancellation insurance as well. I suggest that as most cruise lines shy away from cancel without penalty once you’re in the zone of 90 or 120 days payment in full due. (Some lines payment in full is either 3 or 4 months of sail date.). 

7 hours ago, Tango99 said:

You might want to look into trip cancellation insurance as well. I suggest that as most cruise lines shy away from cancel without penalty once you’re in the zone of 90 or 120 days payment in full due. (Some lines payment in full is either 3 or 4 months of sail date.). 

Thanks for the advise! We will definitely look into the insurance options 🙂