Venezia debarkation question

We are sailing on Venezia in September and booked our flight home for 1:00 out of JFK (as Carnival states that 1:00 or later is required if we want to use their transportation).  We just got notification that the airline changed our flight and it's now leaving at 11:45.

We can get a refund on the airfare and rebook, but the other flights add 4 hours to our travel time. 

If we did an Uber instead of Carnival transportation would we have sufficient time?

We always do priority debarkation with the diamond group, only travel with carry-ons, and have TSA precheck.  But this is a flight across the country and don't want to risk missing it or being stressed/rushed.  

We have never flown home from New York before so any advice would be appreciated!

Posted (edited)

11:45 might be possible, but really cutting it close.  When we flew home in from LGA in October on Southwest, we booked a later flight because we weren't sure how long it would take with debarking and traffic to the airport.  We ended up arriving at the airport more than 4 hours before our flight.  Southwest put us on a nonstop flight leaving in just 45 minutes for no additional charge.  That was a whole lot less stress than booking too close and rushing to catch a flight.  Even if they hadn't put us on the earlier flight, I would rather relax in the airport than the stress on possibly missing the flight.  If you get to the airport too early, it never hurts to ask about an earlier flight.

Edited by Old Fart Cruisers
  • Like 1

We just did LGA off Venezia and I wouldn't attempt it. Total travel time from our ship cabin to the LGA curb was probably close to 2 hours. Pier 88 isn't nearly as efficient as Miami so the debark process is significantly slower. (The trick is to walk inland to 11th or 10th Ave to catch a cab.) Tack on another hour once you arrive at the airport to get from the curb to gate, even with TSA-Pre like we have. We started our departure from the ship about 10:15a and I think we sat down at our gate sometime around 1p. Our flight was at 3:40p. We do all carry-on too. I would have been totally comfortable with a 1p departure and would not have lingered on the ship like we did. Before noon? Nope.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, csm5986142 said:

Thank you for the replies, I think I will change it just to be on the safe side.  

Is LGA better than JFK?

LGA is a few miles closer to the cruise terminal than JFK so in theory the travel time should be shorter, but you can never tell what the traffic situation will be on any particular day 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, csm5986142 said:

Thank you for the replies, I think I will change it just to be on the safe side.  

Is LGA better than JFK?

A very good idea - while you probably have a better than 68.375% chance of making that flight, you would surely be stressed from the last day of your cruise until you got into your seat on the plane.

• Like 2