Sold Out Excursion Question

Lemondrops

Unfortunately, we weren't fast enough to get the ONE excursion we really wanted for our upcoming trip in July 2024. (Not to mention that we were both online, on time, on separate computers and the excursion WAS available but we learned quickly that only one person can sign up for excursions.  This, of course, ended slowing us down and then we missed out!)  C'est la vie! Has anyone here had any success getting added onto a sold out excursion?  Might there be a wait list on the ship once we board?  After the recent news stories about people booking outside excursions and then missing their ships departure, I don't want to risk it.  I'd rather go with Viking.  Thanks in advance.

Keep checking back (for example daily). Often some slots open up as people change plans. If not ask when you get on board. Sometimes they either have changes or open new slots ( no guarantee)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lemondrops said:

Unfortunately, we weren't fast enough to get the ONE excursion we really wanted for our upcoming trip in July 2024. (Not to mention that we were both online, on time, on separate computers and the excursion WAS available but we learned quickly that only one person can sign up for excursions.  This, of course, ended slowing us down and then we missed out!)  C'est la vie! Has anyone here had any success getting added onto a sold out excursion?  Might there be a wait list on the ship once we board?  After the recent news stories about people booking outside excursions and then missing their ships departure, I don't want to risk it.  I'd rather go with Viking.  Thanks in advance.

Keep checking back again!  Up until you leave, people do indeed cancel.  Then onboard immediately go to the excursion desk and ask to be put on a list to be contacted if someone cancels.  People get sick on board and do cancel excursions.

• Like 1

Like others said, keep checking, and check again once on board. And as far as booking outside companies, there are definitely reputable ones to use and I would also say, in certain areas, it's not as big of a problem. Those people opted for that in a part of the world that is much more difficult to travel on your own I feel. If you truly can't get it through Viking, I would look through Viator.

• Like 2

Our experience onboard is that Guest Services and Shorex will do what they can to get you on that excursion.

Certainly check back before the cruise, but once onboard, go to Guest Services and express your interest.

If you are not added by the day before, then after the port talk approach the Shorex Manager after the talk.  People regularly cancel or drop out.  Note that Viking have a 48 hour rule for cancellation, so your best chance to get on the excursion is 48-72 hours before.

If all else fails, we have seen people put on the excursion at the point of boarding the bus.

The one type of excursion that may NOT be easy to get on is one that includes a meal where an advance reservation number was given to the restaurant. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We just got back from our Viking cruise.  We were able to get a cancellation on an excursion in Vietnam within 2-3 days of it happening. First we heard about it was a charge showing up on our account; I called to question it and it was for the excursion we were wait-listed on! 

My guess is that some passengers realized just how hot and sticky it was, and just didn't want to bother. And/or, they get tired on the cruise and didn't want to bother. 

• Like 1

You did not mention which excursion in which port you missed booking. To some extent that makes a difference. For instance, if you missed out on an excursion in Naples, and your next stop is in Rome, then booking an outside tour is less of a risk. Taking the train from Naples to Rome is a cinch in comparison to the African island story that was recently in the news.

If you book an outside excursion that offers a liberal refund policy for a cancellation, then if a Viking spot opens you can book it and cancel the other. 

Also, there are certain excursions that may not have the option of last minute openings. The Alhambra in Spain is very strict in giving each cruise ship just a limited number of tickets, and each ticket has the passenger's name linked to the ticket. Even if someone can't use their ticket, it can't be transferred. ( To be honest, I haven't experienced this first hand, but have read it here repeatedly.)  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

You did not mention which excursion in which port you missed booking. To some extent that makes a difference. For instance, if you missed out on an excursion in Naples, and your next stop is in Rome, then booking an outside tour is less of a risk. Taking the train from Naples to Rome is a cinch in comparison to the African island story that was recently in the news.

If you book an outside excursion that offers a liberal refund policy for a cancellation, then if a Viking spot opens you can book it and cancel the other. 

Also, there are certain excursions that may not have the option of last minute openings. The Alhambra in Spain is very strict in giving each cruise ship just a limited number of tickets, and each ticket has the passenger's name linked to the ticket. Even if someone can't use their ticket, it can't be transferred. ( To be honest, I haven't experienced this first hand, but have read it here repeatedly.)  

Thank you for this.  You make an excellent point regarding location.  The excursion we were unable to book was in Naples, so maybe we could book another vendor without too much worry. I hadn't even considered that.  Thank you for your response.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Lemondrops said:

Thank you for this.  You make an excellent point regarding location.  The excursion we were unable to book was in Naples, so maybe we could book another vendor without too much worry. I hadn't even considered that.  Thank you for your response.

Concerning Naples, we discovered that most of the original frescos and artifacts are not at Pompeii or Herculean, but are on display at the National Archaeological Museum of Naples, which is a short cab ride from the cruise terminal.

We had an excellent presentation by a guest lecturer on our cruise who went into detail about the “naughty room” where all the frescos from the brothels of Pompeii are kept. The room has no fixed hours and it opens at random, supposedly to keep the “perverts” from hanging out all day. It can also be closed off on short notice in case the Pope or other dignitaries visit. He recommended that if you visit, first thing to do is inquire about the operating hours for the day.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lemondrops said:

What an odd coincidence, that my random example was the port in question! Years ago, during our land tour days, a case of food poisoning disrupted our travel. To rejoin the group, we had to take the train from Venice to Naples. That was an adventure, but we managed, even though we had to transport all our luggage. Oh, and be wary of random people (pickpockets!) offering to help you with your luggage. But that's another story.

For a shore excursion, seek advice about what you should have with you in the very unlikely event of a missed connection (passport? prescriptions?). Have fun!

18 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

People get sick on board and do cancel excursions.

Absolutely. On our 21-night Med cruise (Athens to Barcelona) my wife got food poisoning (along with other people) at Manfredis and she was down for two days so we cancelled our shore excursions for those two days. Then a week later we got COVID and were quarantined for four more days and we had shore excursions on every one of those days. Cancelled those as well.

7 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

Absolutely. On our 21-night Med cruise (Athens to Barcelona) my wife got food poisoning (along with other people) at Manfredis and she was down for two days so we cancelled our shore excursions for those two days. Then a week later we got COVID and were quarantined for four more days and we had shore excursions on every one of those days. Cancelled those as well.

Oh no! I'm so sorry you experienced all that and appreciate your response.  Sounds just awful!!!

7 hours ago, Lemondrops said:

That is the one port we are using an outside vendor. We booked a tour through Viator because we wanted to go to both Pompeii & Herculaneum.

1 hour ago, kctwinmommy said:

That is the one port we are using an outside vendor. We booked a tour through Viator because we wanted to go to both Pompeii & Herculaneum.

We did Pompeii with Viking and Herculaneum with an independent local guide.  Both well worth it!  We were blessed with good weather in late February.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

We did Pompeii with Viking and Herculaneum with an independent local guide.  Both well worth it!  We were blessed with good weather in late February.

Yep! I figured if we're going to be there, we owe it to ourselves to see both of them!

• Like 3

On 4/10/2024 at 12:49 PM, OneSixtyToOne said:

Concerning Naples, we discovered that most of the original frescos and artifacts are not at Pompeii or Herculean, but are on display at the National Archaeological Museum of Naples, which is a short cab ride from the cruise terminal.

And it was amazing!  Much easier walking, too!

00-Ql6biy-mZ87rWVfOSHXTCdySImIvB1QE_lBES

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

And it was amazing!  Much easier walking, too!

00-Ql6biy-mZ87rWVfOSHXTCdySImIvB1QE_lBES

We’re in Sorrento right now, enjoying the view from our hotel terrace overlooking the Gulf of Naples and the big city in the distance. Pompeii was crowded on Wednesday — our second visit to the site — but evocative as always. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SJD117 said:

We’re in Sorrento right now, enjoying the view from our hotel terrace overlooking the Gulf of Naples and the big city in the distance. Pompeii was crowded on Wednesday — our second visit to the site — but evocative as always. 

image.thumb.jpg.f41797f82d3beb06c9c074914c7d7010.jpg

OK Linda - couldn't resist.  Your pictures brought back fond memories of our week stay in Sorrento apartment ahead of our Viking Saturn cruise to Athens.  The view from our VRBO balcony of Mt Vesuvius.  The whole area is breathtaking and so easy to walk miles everywhere!

IMG_3223MtVesuviusfromAptBalcony.thumb.JPG.91bc83712a1487ede8023e88cd5c319c.JPG

• Like 1

Kent, you most likely got a better deal economically than ours—but just as stunning—since you can’t go wrong in Sorrento!

We are up makua at the Hotel Annabelle.