First time cruising with a little one

Hello everyone, 

Hubby and I had cruised in the past but it’s going to be our first cruising with our 3 yrs old daughter. 

I have heard RCL offers great kids programs with a fee, wondering if anyone had experience with this? 

In terms of packing, are cold milk free of charge for kids? How about booster chair, kids utensils…etc? 

Any tips and tricks, from packing to activities, dinning, things to be aware of, would be appreciated!! 🤗

• Like 1

I have never sailed RCL,  or have I sailed any line with a child.  But I believe the kids programs are free, although there might be an activity or two that have a fee.  It’s the after hours care that costs.  They will have boosters/highchairs, but you need to bring the kids utensils.  There is a board here for Family Cruising, under Special Interest cruising.  You might also ask your questions on the RCL board. EM

The kids program on Royal is free beginning at 3 years of age. In my humble opinion, its a fantastic program. We've done most major cruise lines with kids, and I place Royal's program as one of our favorite. 

Cold milk will be available free of charge. Booster chairs will be available as well. 

The BEST piece of advice that I can give you is to pack as lightly as possible. First cruise we took with a little one (at 18 months of age), we packed as if we were moving to another country. 😂. By cruise 2-3, we were down to whatever we could fit in one carry on for our kids and an umbrella stroller. 

Posted (edited)

Three is a good age for a new cruiser.

About the Kids' Clubs:

- Below three, Royal offers only babysitting for a per-hour fee. 

- Three and above can go to Ocean Adventure (also called The Kids' Club).  They have very good programing.  You'll be able to see the times for the various activities on your phone app.  Things I remember:  science experiments, a trip to mini-golf, a PJ party, movies.  They even take the kids to the buffet for dinner, if you take them at the right time. 

- Kids three + pay NO FEE for the Kids' Club.  

- Know that you have to go in on Embarkation Day and "register" your daughter.  Once that's done, you'll be able to drop her off whenever you please.  You don't need to run as soon as you set foot on the ship, but you should do this as quickly as convenient.  

About milk and other food: 

- They'll have milk (no cost) in the buffet at breakfast but not at lunch or dinner.  In the MDR the waiter might bring her (no cost) milk at lunch or dinner.  

- I've always seen cartons of milk (and not being a milk-drinker, I don't pay close attention), but some people have been saying lately they've seen self-serve dispensers.  If they have cartons, you can bring a few back from the buffet /keep them in your in-room cooler (or you might bring a wide-mouth water bottle so you could self-serve yourself a good portion).  You can also pick up fruit or cheese /crackers from the buffet to keep in your room.  Or doughnuts and cookies, if you're a nicer mom than I am. 

- When the buffet (called The Windjammer) is open, you can just walk in and carry out whatever you please.  

- If you're really concerned, you could bring shelf-stable "juice boxes" of milk with you.  

- I've seen high chairs in both the MDR and the buffet -- I've not seen booster seats.  

- You probably enjoy a multi-course meal more than your toddler does.  Dinner in the MDR is about 60 - 75 minutes (for dinner ... breakfast or lunch is more like 30 - 40 minutes), which can feel like an eternity to a child.  Consider alternating meals between the MDR and the buffet.  

- You can see menus on your phone app now.  

- No, I've not seen child-sized utensils.  If this is a make-or-break thing for your daughter, I'd suggest buying a pack of Dollar Store (theirs are quite small) plastic spoons and forks.  If she still uses bibs, consider a pack of disposables.  Also consider a pack of those disposable plastic stick-down table-covers (if you think you'll eat at the poolside tables).  

- Bring some small quiet toys.  We personally don't do electronics at the table.  When my girls were small, we used to "practice" ordering cruise food before the trip -- an appetizer, a drink, an entree and a dessert.  They thought it was great fun.  

Other thoughts: 

- Definitely bring a stroller.  I think most people would say, "Bring a small umbrella stroller", and it would be best for around the ship -- but I'm going the other direction:  Unless you're in the smallest of small cabins, with a three-year old I'd bring the big stroller.  She'll be able to walk around the ship, and you can carry a single child -- but off the ship you'll appreciate having the stroller that'll roll over uneven surfaces more easily.  

- Know that you won't have access to a washer/dryer.  Though I myself pack light, I'd pack plenty of extra clothes for a toddler.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

Just want to say that on our last cruise, we had our kids with us and they had a blast. Even the 18 month old! Our son was around 8 and he loved the kids club. I agree that 3 is a good age to start cruising. They are old enough to get something out of it and they might even remember it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2024 at 8:56 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

They'll have milk (no cost) in the buffet at breakfast but not at lunch or dinner.  In the MDR the waiter might bring her (no cost) milk at lunch or dinner. 

milk is always available for free at the coffee/tea station.

On 4/11/2024 at 8:56 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

Definitely bring a stroller.  I'd bring the big stroller.

only if the kid still uses one. Mine stopped using a stroller at 14 months and never looked back.

On 4/10/2024 at 2:24 AM, missyprincess said:

Hubby and I had cruised in the past but it’s going to be our first cruising with our 3 yrs old daughter. 

the same questions are asked on this board quite a bit. You may want to do a quick read when you have a moment. We started cruising with DS when he was 3. I covered several points here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3004270-cruising-with-autistic-4-year-old/#comment-67301176

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy