dressing for Alaska weather

Carried_Away

I'm cruising to Alaska for the first time at the end of May and beginning of June. My friend and I are doing a B2B that will take us from Vancouver to Seward and back to Vancouver.

I've read the advice on this forum to dress in layers, and I've seen a number of posts in which people talk about wearing hats and gloves. I've also looked at the weather averages and norms for southeastern Alaska in May and June. For example, I see that average high temperatures in Juneau at that time of year are in the upper 50s or low 60s and average lows are in the 40s.

I understand that the weather can vary significantly, and I'll check the forecast close to my trip. But assuming the weather is average or normal this year, would you recommend bringing gloves, a hat, and a warm winter coat? I would not wear any of those items when temperatures are in the 50s or 60s at home. Even in the 40s, I wouldn't wear my warmest coat, gloves, or a hat unless I was spending a long time outside. Does wind or proximity to glaciers or something else I'm not thinking of make the weather feel a lot colder on Alaska cruises?

For perspective, I'm from Philadelphia, and the friend I'm cruising with is from New England. I'm used to daytime highs in the 40s or colder all winter, and we both prefer cold to heat. Assuming average weather is forecast for our trip, I'm thinking of packing jeans and midweight pants, long- and short-sleeved knit shirts, two or three fleeces or sweaters for layering, and a lightweight waterproof jacket. Do those of you from similar climates think I need warmer items?

If you are viewing a glacier you will need layers to keep you warm.  You may need a warm knit hat to keep your ears warm and gloves if you plan to be outside during viewing.  Otherwise, in port it’s just basic layering and rain gear or jacket.  No winter coat.  A waterproof jacket will protect you from rain and wind if necessary.  May and June are generally pretty nice weatherwise in Alaska.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I usually want hat and gloves on glacier sailing days, but otherwise I don't need them.  You definitely don't need a heavy winter coat.  A light, waterproof rain jacket is a good idea since it can rain a lot.  

• Thanks 1

I bring ear protection and gloves for glacier days. When I sail to Glacier Bay - I am outside all day. It can feel windy on the deck when the ship is moving being outside and it can be quite a bit cooler than port days.

I am one that usually doesn't wear a jacket in 40's but I do bring gloves and ear protection to Alaska. I don't bring a winter jacket - just dress in a long sleeve t-shirt, sweatshirt and a jacket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are doing whale watching on a boat that moves at 30 knots to reach the whales and plan on being outside, consider the windchill factor.  At 50 degrees, that is a "feel-like" 41.4 degrees.  Will your fingers or ears get cold at that temp?

Dress in layers including thigh-length wind resistant jacket.  Carry a backpack for removed clothing.  Also in your backpack, extra socks and a poncho in case of steady rain.  It is always wise to plan for rain and be thrilled when you see sunshine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with the advice you've gotten already -- layers and light jacket vs a heavy winter coat.  I would bring a head covering of some sort and gloves just in case -- they don't take up much room and better safe than sorry 🙂

I also wanted to chime in that temperature and comfort is such a personal issue.  We were on a Caribbean cruise in January and coming from our home where temps were in the teens, the local and ship temps felt wonderful!  But we saw people walking around the ship, even on the dance floor, in full winter/puffer coats, and some walking around wrapped up in blankets!  Meanwhile we were in shorts and t-shirts.  Since you're from a colder climate it probably won't seem that cold to you.  Our last Alaska cruise was in May and we hardly wore hat and gloves, only on Glacier Bay day.  The rest of the time we wore layers with light jackets and were quite comfortable.  

We are also going the same time frame as you this year -- our cruisetour land portion is the last week of May and the cruise portion is the first week of June.  I've already got the packing list made and can't wait to go!

• Like 2