Driving from Tennessee to Tampa! Help!

kcmom

I'm headed down tomorrow with three teenagers to take the Inspiration out of Tampa. I'm a school teacher, and yesterday at school another teacher told me that he really didn't think the driving directions from Mapquest were the way to go. Mapquest sends me down 301 for about 80 miles before hooking back up with I-75. The math teacher said 301 is a two-lane highway that goes through several towns. His suggestion was to stay on I-10 and then connect with I-75. I just want to be safe with my kids!!! Are there some Floridians out there that can help me? I need to know so that I can adjust my driving time. We are driving to Brunswick, GA tomorrow and then driving on to Tampa on Monday. I'll be getting those teenagers out of bed EARLY on Monday.

Thanks in advance,

kcmom

Just one question - why are you going to Brunswick? If you are coming straight into Tampa, that is out of your way. Stay offf 301 - it is not near as quick as the interstate - and they do have some very aggressive speed traps along that route.

We drove from Roanoke, Va to Tampa last summer and went down using 301. It is two lanes with lots of small towns to slow down in and speed traps everywhere. Coming back we went across the state through Orlando (I-4 maybe?) and picked up I-95 below Daytona somewhere. It seemed to be much quicker way if you're coming in on 95.

Thank you everyone! I'm coming from upper East Tennessee (Tri-Cities). I'm afraid that I just went by the directions that MapQuest gave to me. It sent me through Brunswick, GA, so my hotel reservations are already in place. However, I WILL use I-10 and stay off of 301. Thank you so much!!

kcmom

Thank you everyone! I'm coming from upper East Tennessee (Tri-Cities). I'm afraid that I just went by the directions that MapQuest gave to me. It sent me through Brunswick, GA, so my hotel reservations are already in place. However, I WILL use I-10 and stay off of 301. Thank you so much!!

kcmom

Heavens, those directions are horrible. I have driven Knoxville to St. Pete many times. Go down I-81 to where it meets I-40 follow that to the west side of Knoxville where it splits with I-75 and then take I-75 all the way to Tampa. It is about 750 miles from Kingsport.

And change the hotel reservations.

Depending on where in the Tri-Cities you live, you may be able to shave 15 minutes or more off by going down I-26 through Asheville, then cutting over to I-85 south via US25 through Greeneville, SC, rather than the I-81/I-40/I-75 route.

It has the bonus of being less prone to traffic problems, and a prettier drive to boot.

The only downside is one tricky spot in Asheville where it helps to know how the road transitions so you will be in the right lane.

You would then either merge with I-75 in downtown Atlanta or use I-285/I-675 to get to I-75 south of Atlanta.

If you want details on the tricky spot, let me know.

Kevin

Yes, I'd like to know the tricky part. I always take the wrong exit in Asheville every time and end up having to stop and ask. Once I get through Asheville, I'm usually okay.

I have to make a decision in the next few hours and it will hinge on whether I can change hotel reservations. I'm thinking Valdosta, GA would be a good place to stop if I can get reservations.

kcmom

I misunderstood your first question, I thought Brunswick was a given.

Having done this too many times (last time 2 weeks ago) and it being a weekend going through Knoxville, Chattanooga, and Atlanta will be a piece of cake!

Dump your hotel reservation! :)

Here is the Google maps link showing that transition. You can zoom in/out and click on the 'hybrid' and 'map' buttons to help get your bearings.

Basically you just need to remember that when you take the exit right to reconnect with I-26 that the lane you will end up in is an exit to a city street. You need to move over one lane to the left to be in the I-26 off ramp.

There are blue I-26 signs painted on the raod way to help keep you in the correct lane.

Kevin

Archived