Shore Excursion Cannes

Joan18

We are planning for our 20th wedding anniversary Mediterranean cruise in November of this year.

We have the port of Cannes on our itinerary. The NCL website really does not give much information on reviews. Ugh. This is a big dream for us. We never took a honeymoon, and would really like to make best choice in each port.

We are set on take a ship tour. But not sure which one.

I was looking at Highlights of Nice or Nice & Eze view.

Originally - we were considering the Monte Carlo tour - but I read many reviews that it was more for gamblers.

TIA for your help.

J

On 4/14/2024 at 10:39 PM, Joan18 said:

We are planning for our 20th wedding anniversary Mediterranean cruise in November of this year.

We have the port of Cannes on our itinerary. The NCL website really does not give much information on reviews. Ugh. This is a big dream for us. We never took a honeymoon, and would really like to make best choice in each port.

We are set on take a ship tour. But not sure which one.

I was looking at Highlights of Nice or Nice & Eze view.

Originally - we were considering the Monte Carlo tour - but I read many reviews that it was more for gamblers.

TIA for your help.

J

We have always done our own thing in Cannes.  We actually spent our 30th Wedding Anniversary (like you we never had a honeymoon) at Cannes.  We had been a couple of times before and had enjoyed just walking around for the atmosphere - expensive cars, views, buying a croissant using schoolgirl French, Le suquet, swimming from the public beach -(in summer) but as this was in November we decided to go on a ferry to St Marguerite a little island that offered nice walks.  We had a lovely day.  

I always say ‘next time Monaco’ but in reality I think we would likely have a more enjoyable day taking the train to Nice.

You want to do a ship tour I think so you have different considerations to me, in your case I think I would want to include Eze view with Nice.  I hope that the weather is kind to you during the cruise - we have had several in November and I find it much more comfortable walking around than July.  You do risk a storm though. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.  We will be docking in Cannes in October 2025.  Could you describe the day trip to St. M?  How did you decide on that island?  Was there enough to keep you busy all day there?  By any chance did you see any wildlife?  We are nature people and really love walks.  Thanks!

You can take the train from Cannes to Antibes station (12 min journey) then the bus to Eden Roc Hotel from the center of Antibes (8 min journey). From the hotel, there is a stunning 3-mile coastal walk around the cape (easy, but has a few stairs). You could walk back to the station from La Garoupe beach (trailhead) along the ramparts towards the Picasso museum. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2024 at 4:27 AM, dancedemon said:

Hi.  We will be docking in Cannes in October 2025.  Could you describe the day trip to St. M?  How did you decide on that island?  Was there enough to keep you busy all day there?  By any chance did you see any wildlife?  We are nature people and really love walks.  Thanks!

hi

This was our third trip to Cannes, We decided on st M Because we knew the ferry station was right beside where the tender stop. We’ve had a couple of long days and really wanted a relaxing day so we knew this would take about four hours in total. It was lovely. I’ll attach a few photos, including one of where the road suddenly came to a halt because it had brambles all over it.  That was a bit of an adventure.  

In your case you may well do better to do the train trip to Antibes (or similar) as mentioned by the previous poster. I think it would be a pity to miss Cannes completely, which you would do it if you just went out to one of the islands.  

3 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

hi

This was our third trip to Cannes, We decided on st M Because we knew the ferry station was right beside where the tender stop. We’ve had a couple of long days and really wanted a relaxing day so we knew this would take about four hours in total. It was lovely. I’ll attach a few photos, including one of where the road suddenly came to a halt because it had brambles all over it.  That was a bit of an adventure.  

In your case you may well do better to do the train trip to Antibes (or similar) as mentioned by the previous poster. I think it would be a pity to miss Cannes completely, which you would do it if you just went out to one of the islands.  

Hi.  I'm fairly new to this website, and don't see attachments.  I would love to see your pics.  I love the logic of going on the ferry because it's close to the tenders.  keep it simple, in my book.  I've been to the French Riviera twice, so I wouldn't be heartbroken to miss Cannes.  It sounds like you were able to fill four full hours, counting the ferry ride, is that right?  Did you happen to see any birds or wildlife?  It is listed in multiple places as having birds, but I haven't read a personal account of anyone who found them.  Thanks so much for your reply!

On 4/16/2024 at 4:22 AM, ollienbertsmum said:

We have always done our own thing in Cannes.  We actually spent our 30th Wedding Anniversary (like you we never had a honeymoon) at Cannes.  We had been a couple of times before and had enjoyed just walking around for the atmosphere - expensive cars, views, buying a croissant using schoolgirl French, Le suquet, swimming from the public beach -(in summer) but as this was in November we decided to go on a ferry to St Marguerite a little island that offered nice walks.  We had a lovely day.  

I always say ‘next time Monaco’ but in reality I think we would likely have a more enjoyable day taking the train to Nice.

You want to do a ship tour I think so you have different considerations to me, in your case I think I would want to include Eze view with Nice.  I hope that the weather is kind to you during the cruise - we have had several in November and I find it much more comfortable walking around than July.  You do risk a storm though. 

We will be in Canne next month, and its the one port that I am struggling to find something to do.

Can you recommend anything in Canne? Resturants? Places to check out?

1 hour ago, AlaskaGoer said:

We will be in Canne next month, and its the one port that I am struggling to find something to do.

Canne is one of those "gateway" ports where you can opt to stay in town (best explored on foot and/or using the Petit Train) or using various options (trains, buses, rental cars, tours) to explore lots of places between Cannes and Monte Carlo (including places like Antibes, St Paul de Vence, Nice, Eze, etc.).  

The Cannes restaurants I could recommend are not open for lunch!  The city does have plenty of eating venues (quite a few within easy walking distance of the tender pier) so nobody should charge.  

Just a word about transportation.  There is a regional train (almost like a commuter rail line) that runs from Cannes, all the way to Menton with all the usual stops (Antibes, Nice, Monte Carlo).  If you find Cannes boring, simply walk over to the train station , buy a ticket, and be off to Antibes or Nice.

For those wedded to cruise line excursions (we avoid them like the plague) we think that going to St Paul de Vence is a great alternative to visiting the larger cities.  Just keep in mind that St Paul de Vence is a walled town which involves quite a lot of walking.  We do not recommend this for folks with mobility issues.

Hank

• Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 4:32 AM, dancedemon said:

Hi.  I'm fairly new to this website, and don't see attachments.  I would love to see your pics.  I love the logic of going on the ferry because it's close to the tenders.  keep it simple, in my book.  I've been to the French Riviera twice, so I wouldn't be heartbroken to miss Cannes.  It sounds like you were able to fill four full hours, counting the ferry ride, is that right?  Did you happen to see any birds or wildlife?  It is listed in multiple places as having birds, but I haven't read a personal account of anyone who found them.  Thanks so much for your reply!

19 hours ago, AlaskaGoer said:

Hi, when are you going to visit Cannes? (day). I will be in next month too.

I will travel with my full family. A big group with all kind of ages. I had to plan a "soft day".

The plan is this one

- do not wake up early. Have breakfast and go to tender when all bustle is gone

- walk along westbound in the Vieux port up to Le Suquet street.

- cross Le Suquet street and back to Travesee de la Tour. Reach the "Cannes" sign atop

- go down over some stairs, back to the port

- go through the market

- go to the Congress Palaces (BTW, TODAY is Festival closure, did you know it?)

- walk along La Croissette beach. You can choose if beach-bound or shop-bound.

Back to the ship. It will not be more than 2,0 km back. If someone is tired there's a bus every 15 minutes that cross all the beach up to the tender area.

Or you can choose to go back to the ship over Rue d'Antibes with all the shops.

That bus comes from the Palm Beach. If you wanna go to the end of the shore (all the Croissette beach plus Palm Beach cape) there will remain that bus

There's a small train ho-ho. It departs from the Congress palace. You can choose visiting Croisette (up to Palm beach), Le Suquet or both.  30 minutes and 8 euro each journey (60 minutes and 15 euro if you choose both ones)

I think it doesn't worth. It doesn't have too many good reviews

Our goal is to stay back in the ship by lunch time and enjoy the afternoon in the ship.... but it is possible to have lunch in the port, obviously

13 hours ago, mskaufman said:

Is the beach an option?IMG_0946.thumb.JPG.b9b318cfe012239db205f4b168858f7d.JPG

Now you are talking our language (beach lovers).  In Cannes (have been there on multiple cruises and also spent several nights staying in town) there are several beaches...some of which are free and others that involve significant cost (to use the facilities).  Our favorite beach happens to be one of the completely free places located a very short walk from the tender pier.  Instead of walking towards town (Congress Palace) you leave the tender area and go the opposite way (keeping the sea on your left).  Within a few hundred yards you sill come to a sandy beach (yes, they do have some real sand beaches)  called the Plage du Midi.  We have spent a few days on that beach where it is clean, the water nice, and plenty of eating venues within a few minutes walk.

The more famous Croisette Beaches are not nearly as nice, but folks flock to them because they are across the street from some famous hotels (like the Carlton).  Those beaches are often privately owned, have ugly wooden platforms on top of the pebbly sand, and can be quite expensive (to rent a lounger).  They are either owned or have arrangements with some of the nearby hotels, and those customers get priority.

Hank

Sorry I had not attached successfully.  

So here are our November pics of Ile StM.  Along with one of DH trying to get through some brambles that were in our path, it was not as difficult as it looks on the photo.  We got through.  So pleasant but not spectacular scenery.  It would look better with a blue sky.  

Compare the July pics.  The day was so windy that the NCL ship that was beside us did not attempt to go ashore in the tenders.  There is also lots of expensive yachts, going up to the old town and the free public beach by the film festival venue. 

I can’t immediately find any other pictures.    I liked Cannes more than the pictures show😊

IMG_2740.thumb.jpeg.218b6f22047c1ad161f152cf020df1a6.jpegIMG_2737.thumb.jpeg.9736d1b730dcb331d19ccf80d828d35e.jpegIMG_2713.thumb.jpeg.b419a2c258f9f4c6557e84de8478c561.jpegIMG_2735.thumb.jpeg.60ce9bc2416f0279344d35fe71653b72.jpegIMG_2717.thumb.jpeg.0c403790d9574fb0d2cf0f6a0988efa5.jpegIMG_2740.thumb.jpeg.218b6f22047c1ad161f152cf020df1a6.jpegIMG_2730.thumb.jpeg.4adafe70859465b54a7e37c9c3f5bc8e.jpegLibertyoftheseas109.thumb.jpeg.ca9d3e8f7a5ec78987576247983d08df.jpegLibertyoftheseas103.thumb.jpeg.75ac8b223858bd61be90586775af1d19.jpegLibertyoftheseas093.thumb.jpeg.40aa26ac4b6641d1e06b604252880081.jpeg

Liberty of the seas 095.jpeg

IMG_2721.jpeg

IMG_2713.jpeg

Edited by ollienbertsmum
Missed out a concept