Semi-live 48 day adventure: Prima, Getaway, Dawn, and beyond

A few years ago a state senator, also a preacher, tried to get the name of the airport change due to his distaste for the current namesake.  The effort failed.  This is not a political post, but I figure, love them or hate them, we are exceedingly unlikely to have another president from Arkansas during my lifetime.  No offense, Huckabees.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Our stay at the Holiday Inn was pretty crappy.  First they sent us to a room that was either still occupied, very dirty, or both.  We returned to the front desk, where the manager apologized profusely, then laid our key card beside only, extremely slow desk clerk, and disappeared into her office.

When we finally secured a clean and unoccupied room, we dropped our bags and headed to the restaurant for a beer and pizza.  Both were good.  I realized I had left my phone in the room, though, so food photos not starting yet.

Cell service in the hotel was nonexistent, and wifi would cut off after about 3 seconds.  Couldn’t get TV to change channels until maintenance came to pull the antenna from behind the dresser.  

Oh, and the $20 per week parking was raised a whopping 150% 2 weeks ago, to $50 per week.  So rather than $140, this will cost $350.

Hopefully, the worst is behind us.  Boarding in just a couple of minutes.  See you on the other side!

Edited by Travelicious
  • Like 15

Posted (edited)

Was it Philip or Flat 😁 😄 😎  how was your ground transfer/pick-up, airport ride to hotel ... welcome to NYC, a beautiful & sunny day.  Best to have indoor plans tomorrow but otherwise, enjoy whatever is on your plan for next 3 days.  See ya and all onboard this Saturday. 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Was it Philip or Flat 😁 😄 😎  how was your ground transfer/pick-up, airport ride to hotel ... welcome to NYC, a beautiful & sunny day.  Best to have indoor plans tomorrow but otherwise, enjoy whatever is on your plan for next 3 days.  See ya and all onboard this Saturday. 

Ride in was great with prepaid Carmel.  Took maybe 30 minutes in to hotel, rather than hour last time.

• Like 2

We walked to Central Park, and walked and walked and walked.  Came back to the hotel, had a drink at the bar, then got ready to walk to Gallaher’s for dinner.  Split a rib steak, Brussel sprouts and hash browns.  Way too much food.

IMG_2432.thumb.jpeg.46d699393d4f7074defc8787de17d7be.jpegIMG_2433.thumb.jpeg.21e0ccc1430875779971aff214888d4e.jpegIMG_2434.thumb.jpeg.3be3c0b77d32bed6c891694d6b874678.jpegIMG_2435.thumb.jpeg.e4bc3da487eb9f4c623ab9175a72506c.jpegIMG_2436.thumb.jpeg.5036a756729ab0c84ba46415a6b9e356.jpeg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Hogladyrider said:

@Travelicious..WOW that is a lot of food...that steak is huge and looks yummy!  Was this on the menu as a meal for 2?

No.  They did recommend sharing sides, and there was really enough for 4 people.  We couldn’t finish the steak, even though it was not “for two.  They had a “for two” porterhouse for $160.  No thanks.  Honestly, the sides were phenomenal.  The steak was tasty but pretty tough.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Travelicious said:

No.  They did recommend sharing sides, and there was really enough for 4 people.  We couldn’t finish the steak, even though it was not “for two.  They had a “for two” porterhouse for $160.  No thanks.  Honestly, the sides were phenomenal.  The steak was tasty but pretty tough.

Thanks!

We slept in until about 9:30 this morning, and it felt great.   Had coffee in the room and got ready to head to Brooklyn.  We took the subway from Grand Central to the Manhattan side of the Brooklyn Bridge, and walked across.  There were so many more people doing the same than I expected.  It was 11:30ish on a Wednesday.  Don’t people work anymore?

IMG_2439.jpeg

IMG_2440.jpeg

IMG_2442.jpeg

IMG_2443.jpeg

IMG_2444.jpeg

• Like 8

Having half the pizza left, we got it to go and took the ferry to Wall Street.  It started to rain as we searched for the correct subway station to get us back the most easily to Grand Central.  Google maps sometimes makes walking directions difficult to follow.  

We made it back, and have decided to just hang in our very nice hotel tonight, drink little airline size bottles of vodka that we brought for just for such an occasion, and eat the rest of the pizza.

Honestly, we are so worn out after yesterday and today that I really wonder how we will hold up for this long trip.  Luckily, we will have plenty of sea days on the Prima.

Tomorrow’s plan is Coney Island.

• Like 9

43 minutes ago, Travelicious said:

It was also a much longer walk than I expected, but we rewarded ourselves with a pizza and sangria from Grimaldi’s.

IMG_2446.jpeg

IMG_2447.jpeg

Oh my. Exactly the kind of New Haven (it sure ain't NY - yep, I said it - if it's burned, it's New Haven) I just cannot tolerate. No burned pizza for me, please. Are those peppers even cooked? 

But, I do hope you enjoyed it! After all, you're the one that had it. Not me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Travelicious said:

It was also a much longer walk than I expected, but we rewarded ourselves with a pizza and sangria from Grimaldi’s.

IMG_2446.jpeg

IMG_2447.jpeg

Same here, in being suprised how crowded and long it was.

Am enjoying your report thus far!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maleficent's Dad said:

Glad you’re experiencing some of NYC. Were all the vendors out along the bridge?  Hopefully you enjoyed Grimaldi’s.

Did not see many vendors.  But plenty of people standing in the middle of the walkways taking selfies or photos of each other.

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh my. Exactly the kind of New Haven (it sure ain't NY - yep, I said it - if it's burned, it's New Haven) I just cannot tolerate. No burned pizza for me, please. Are those peppers even cooked? 

But, I do hope you enjoyed it! After all, you're the one that had it. Not me. 

It was still great.  Could really taste the garlic.  This was the only burnt crust piece of my half.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1