Celebrtiy App

We were on NCL in January and they had an app that had a text communication portion. It seemed to only wr]k with IPhones. It was also a bit spotty. Not always working.

Is the Celebrity app the same? It states "Remember to connect to the ship's Guest Wi-Fi once onboard to use all of the app's features, chat with family and friends,..."

Is the ships Guest WiFi free for all or do you need to purchase a wifi plan?

Is it for all types of phones?

Is the text communications good?

https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/celebrity-app

43 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

Is the ships Guest WiFi free for all or do you need to purchase a wifi plan?

Is it for all types of phones?

Is the text communications good?

Yes, no.  You're really purchasing an internet plan.

Yes

Not so much.

The guest WIFI is free and enables one to use the features within the app as they state.  The WIFI is internet restricted so you only have access to internal use ... ie the app.  The chat with family friends is those that may be sailing with you and I would not consider it texting, it's chat feature within the Celebrity app.

My cruise Dec 2023 the Celebrity chat feature was not the best and we found it required one to actively be watching for messages and it was spotty.  We used it but would not rely on it, we also found messages to be out of chronological order at times, wonky.  We never did figure out a pattern to it's behavior, maybe it's improved in the last 4 months 🙂

Access to the internet or any other type 'external' communication would require purchasing a WIFI package.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, poffles said:

The guest WIFI is free and enables one to use the features within the app as they state.  The WIFI is internet restricted so you only have access to internal use ... ie the app.  The chat with family friends is those that may be sailing with you and I would not consider it texting, it's chat feature within the Celebrity app.

My cruise Dec 2023 the Celebrity chat feature was not the best and we found it required one to actively be watching for messages and it was spotty.  We used it but would not rely on it, we also found messages to be out of chronological order at times, wonky.  We never did figure out a pattern to it's behavior, maybe it's improved in the last 4 months 🙂

Access to the internet or any other type 'external' communication would require purchasing a WIFI package.

Thanks for the info. Sounds similar to the one on NCL. Sometimes works and sometimes not.

Does it work with all types of phones? Android and Apple??

We were just on Ascent.  6 of us all had issues using the app to communicate.  It would lock up, not work at all, etc.  We had to reboot or put the app in pause, etc to keep it working.  If you have a older phone it definitely is a issue.  

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

Thanks for the info. Sounds similar to the one on NCL. Sometimes works and sometimes not.

I have android samsung galaxy and the other party had iphones and same experience for us all.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, pete_coach said:

it won't work on Apple 6 and below that.  My DW had to change her phone.  The IOS that you need will not work on those phones.  

21 minutes ago, Oskial said:

it won't work on Apple 6 and below that.  My DW had to change her phone.  The IOS that you need will not work on those phones.  

Not much works on an IPhone 6 , so many apps don’t work or run really slow

i find with once electronics are no longer can take the lates upgrade it time to get something newer 

just a fact of life 😉

• Haha 1

If we have the basic internet package, would using something like WhatsApp be a better alternative while on board?  We have a group cruising on Beyond at the end of June and rounding everyone up for meals may be like herding cats.

1 hour ago, Oskial said:

IPhone 8 and below are no longer supported by Apple.

The Celebrity App requires the latest IOS which is 17.

4 hours ago, cincymel said:

If we have the basic internet package, would using something like WhatsApp be a better alternative while on board?  We have a group cruising on Beyond at the end of June and rounding everyone up for meals may be like herding cats.

Assuming everyone has a unique logon, and not everyone has an iPhone, WhatsApp should be fine. If everyone has an iPhone, just use iMessage. In either case if you have alerts on you’ll receive an alert. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, cincymel said:

If everyone is on FB than Messager that would also work 

• Thanks 1