Live From the Grand Princess, 22-Day Alaska B2B, Apr 30 - May 22

4 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

There is a manager/supervisor.  S/He wears the suit (and on the staff board).  You will be on this cruise long enough to get to know him/her.  There's always a paper trail.  That's just blowing smoke.

All is good. Our son checked his account and the new FCD was posted today, which is a good sign they were all posted. Once we receive feed back from our other family members as to the status of their FCDs, we will be happy. But thanks for the feedback, and if we run into any issues, we’ll definitely talk with the manager/supervisor.

• Like 2

Ken, 

Thanks for all the updates.  We are doing a similar cruise and landtour in early September and it's so exciting to follow along with you.

Random Question: What is the "Good Spirits at Sea" cocktail experience that's mentioned in the daily patter?

Thanks!

Alexandra

1 hour ago, alexand278 said:

Ken, 

Thanks for all the updates.  We are doing a similar cruise and landtour in early September and it's so exciting to follow along with you.

Random Question: What is the "Good Spirits at Sea" cocktail experience that's mentioned in the daily patter?

Thanks!

Alexandra

We just went down to the Good Spirits at Sea lounge, which is next to the International Cafe. The bartender said the cocktail experience is basically a demonstration on how they make various cocktails, which you are then able to try (for a cost unless you purchased a package that includes free drinks).

Posted (edited)

Now it’s time to get reading to go through Johnstone Strait in a little while.

IMG_5473.thumb.jpeg.a9dc737e83c7b781762520b33258b36b.jpeg

And there is plenty of blue sky to watch for Orcas and whales as well as any other resident wildlife we are lucky enough to see as we pass through there after lunch! That’s the Zaandam off in the distance which will be following us through the Strait.

IMG_7173.thumb.jpeg.12aa44d699bf74e21b2accbd111274a2.jpeg

Here is some wildlife information about Johnstone Strait. 

Johnstone Strait is home to the largest resident pod of killer whales (orcas) in the world, with a population of approximately 200 whales. There is no better place to view these amazing marine mammals. In addition to the orcas that can be viewed around Robson Bight, Johnstone Strait offers up a wide variety of other marine life, including minke, humpback and grey whales, Pacific white sided dolphins, harbour porpoises, Dall’s porpoises, harbour seals and Steller’s sea lions. Bald eagles and an abundance of seabirds will also be encountered in the area.

https://vancouverisland.com/plan-your-trip/regions-and-towns/vancouver-island-bc-islands/johnstone-strait/

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 5

39 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

For those that plan on going on an Alaska B2B, here’s the paperwork we just reviewed explaining the details.

IMG_7169.thumb.jpeg.7365e21c646320c8afc760ec196fd380.jpegIMG_7170.thumb.jpeg.16b52a1549208f272cc97ab0d4b4301b.jpeg

IMG_7171.thumb.jpeg.2531f099af3aa27a42edf9ea90ee651e.jpeg

So is Reserve dining in Botticelli the whole cruise ?  On most Grand Class ships it has been in De Vinci the last few years   Sailing B2B Alaskan cruise in the summer

15 minutes ago, memoak said:

So is Reserve dining in Botticelli the whole cruise ?  On most Grand Class ships it has been in De Vinci the last few years   Sailing B2B Alaskan cruise in the summer

Da Vinci definitely is Reserve Dining for the entire cruise except on disembarkation day for breakfast it’s in a separate area in Botticelli. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Solara said:

Da Vinci definitely is Reserve Dining for the entire cruise except on disembarkation day for breakfast it’s in a separate area in Botticelli. 

Thanks for the 411   Sailing July 31 for 14 days 

Edited by memoak

46 minutes ago, memoak said:

No, it’s only held there for breakfast on transition day. We’ve been dining this entire cruise in the starboard side of the Da Vinci dining room.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, memoak said:

Can anyone confirm if there is a section of Pandora charms in the shops on the Grand ?

Yes, you can find them in the Meridian Bay store on deck 7. 

IMG_7190.thumb.jpeg.1a676dbcc7bfac080d6782c507d23aa5.jpeg

IMG_7188.thumb.jpeg.73866dab80e7e4a88bf203b4d251c681.jpeg

IMG_7189.thumb.jpeg.79e3cbb3a0a27136df203d4142829fed.jpeg

IMG_7187.thumb.jpeg.03a1e4981445dcd29d7c8b2e635a6724.jpeg

On 5/5/2024 at 12:25 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

Our morning trek was to visit the Margerie Glacier, also known at the Great Pacific Glacier. Along the way we saw a humpback whale (no picture), some seals off in the distance, mostly swimming around, and a bunch of various gulls and a few Arctic terns! While we were having breakfast, we passed this glacier which I took a picture of.

IMG_6775.thumb.jpeg.c9c043515674ddcb587571b0222ffa0d.jpeg

Gorgeous pictures.  I have one small correction on the above, though.  To the right of the glacier, 90 degrees (in other words straight ahead) is the Grand Pacific Glacier.  It's receded enough that it no longer reaches the water so it just looks like a rock wall.  The glacier part might be visible if you look above the rock wall.  It was there on my first few trips starting in 2007.  (Wikipedia says fastest ever glacial retreat).  In all my trips there, I've never heard the Margerie Glacier referred to as the Great Pacific.  When you next go, take a look.

And thanks again for taking us along.  I think I'll go back in 2025 or 2026.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, alexand278 said:

Ken, 

Thanks!

Alexandra

We participated in the Good Spirits at Sea bar events on a cruise to the Caribbean last year. Some of the drinks had a Caribbean theme; one such as using rum, cinnamon, orange and chocolate bitters, additional cinnamon simple syrup and orange peel, called the Cartagena Cool. There was also an exceptional gin and tonic "ultima" called the Barcelona (obviously not a Caribbean themed drink), that used Hendricks gin (a personal favorite), lemon and lime wheels, juniper berries and tonic water. I believe they are prepared to make any of the repertoire of drinks if you ask. There is usually a book on the bar with options.  I'm interested to see if there is a drink for Alaska. 

Laurie

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, abbydancer2003 said:

Gorgeous pictures.  I have one small correction on the above, though.  To the right of the glacier, 90 degrees (in other words straight ahead) is the Grand Pacific Glacier.  It's receded enough that it no longer reaches the water so it just looks like a rock wall.  The glacier part might be visible if you look above the rock wall.  It was there on my first few trips starting in 2007.  (Wikipedia says fastest ever glacial retreat).  In all my trips there, I've never heard the Margerie Glacier referred to as the Great Pacific.  When you next go, take a look.

And thanks again for taking us along.  I think I'll go back in 2025 or 2026.

If I’m understanding you correctly, the “dirty rock wall” glacier on the left is the Grand Pacific Glacier and the “cleaner” glacier on the right is the Margerie Glacier. According to Wikipedia they were joined in 1992, but in 2004 the Grand Pacific Glacier receded to the point making them two separate glaciers. Thanks for keeping me straight! 😁

IMG_5490.jpeg.0ba8f884f2c8f1e6de7b6b7a99ae6792.jpeg

This photo I downloaded from the internet when I searched on Grand Pacific Glacier, which is roughly the same picture as mine on a clearer day. It’s amazing what one can see on a clear day! 😂

IMG_5493.jpeg.f88b9e6e8afbbf5871f8e662836b8ef4.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

This afternoon we went to the Vista Lounge to listen to Pete Griffin’s last lecture for this leg of the cruise.

IMG_7185.thumb.jpeg.2f546b2007a6cc723ab8383b9398c370.jpeg

Then we headed back to the cabin to enjoy the radiant heat from the sun on the balcony until it’s time for dinner. We even saw what we believe was a whale off in the distance! 😁

IMG_7193.thumb.jpeg.bfacd4fc27c7914a351c81fa554aa803.jpeg

After dinner we decided to pass on going to the Variety and game shows tonight to get ready to go through the very narrow Johnstone Strait, which shouldn’t be long now, where we will hopefully see some wildlife enjoying their evening meal! 🤞

IMG_5495.thumb.jpeg.6e7e50f77820a150fd9936c872b96a9c.jpeg

• Like 3

On 4/24/2024 at 9:18 PM, Bemidji Ty said:

Ken, thanks so much for your research.  We will be doing the 14 day Van to Van starting June 5 on the Grand.  This will be our 5th time to Alaska on Princess.  We love it.

Cheers.

Hey that is me and.my wife's sailing.both legs also.  Maybe we should meet for a drink 

Posted (edited)

For future reference it takes about 24.5 hours to cruise from Ketchikan to the entrance of the northern entrance of Johnstone Strait. Once we reached the Strait, the naturalist mentioned over the TV Cam channel that he saw one humpback whale on the port side, which of course we never saw while sitting on our aft balcony, and that was it for whale sightings.

But we did see a lot of beautiful scenery along the way, just not any wildlife other than a gull flying off in the distance and the photo of a whale I posted earlier.

IMG_7208.thumb.jpeg.4bf3ca116cf4a7ad9a7a54d8f66c0b45.jpeg

IMG_7211.thumb.jpeg.e81bceba8896db88d9468035741c4b7a.jpeg

IMG_7212.thumb.jpeg.0166dd3e04ef2a57be8f8c54c366f2df.jpeg

IMG_7213.thumb.jpeg.b55c9cd88e58e0278b73cf111746db5b.jpeg

This is the trail of the Grand after making the S-turn into the Johnstone Strait.

IMG_7217.thumb.jpeg.c84aecf4c3017fb2cd41f713f5bb6472.jpeg

IMG_7219.thumb.jpeg.18ec845007a0d91245f0002efe43e2b1.jpeg

IMG_7222.thumb.jpeg.d2dcba9d85e0ae9cf5a3c40e7aad4004.jpeg

IMG_7224.thumb.jpeg.976761c56e8c3dc5d1e637519d33572d.jpeg

IMG_7225.thumb.jpeg.63065744e55c80f3d5d5612a2a1eff4e.jpeg

I came back inside at 8:45 pm as it started to get chilly, even though we were less than half the way through the Strait. I guess we’ll just have to wait to hopefully see the Johnstone Strait Orcas on our May 21 ”cruise by” on the way back between Ketchikan and Vancouver! Like I’ve said before, for us it’s all about the “hunt”. This time the hunt provided some beautiful scenery! 😁

IMG_5525.thumb.jpeg.e15fdf946a7e3d426601da850a3fa70d.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Like I’ve said before, for us it’s all about the “hunt”. This time the hunt provided some beautiful scenery! 😁

Ken is been a pleasure sailing with you even if we never met in person. I look forward to following the tasty of your live from. Enjoy and good luck with the hunt. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I’m understanding you correctly, the “dirty rock wall” glacier on the left is the Grand Pacific Glacier and the “cleaner” glacier on the right is the Margerie Glacier. According to Wikipedia they were joined in 1992, but in 2004 the Grand Pacific Glacier receded to the point making them two separate glaciers. Thanks for keeping me straight! 😁

IMG_5490.jpeg.0ba8f884f2c8f1e6de7b6b7a99ae6792.jpeg

This photo I downloaded from the internet when I searched on Grand Pacific Glacier, which is roughly the same picture as mine on a clearer day. It’s amazing what one can see on a clear day! 😂

IMG_5493.jpeg.f88b9e6e8afbbf5871f8e662836b8ef4.jpeg

If I remember correctly from our two Alaska trips (2002 & 2018), the Grand Pacific glacier is to the right as you are facing Margerie, basically the end of the Bay. This photo is from 2018.

P1010690.JPG

7 minutes ago, Nikulai said:

Ken is been a pleasure sailing with you even if we never met in person. I look forward to following the tasty of your live from. Enjoy and good luck with the hunt. 

Same here! Have a safe trip home!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, WisCruiser2 said:

If I remember correctly from our two Alaska trips (2002 & 2018), the Grand Pacific glacier is to the right as you are facing Margerie, basically the end of the Bay. This photo is from 2018.

P1010690.JPG

OK. Now I’m really confused. But that’s OK. We’re going to Glacier Bay two more times on this next leg, so I’ll have listen a little closer next time. But what you’re saying is that the Grand Pacific Glacier is on the right of this picture and the Margerie Glacier is the one on the left.

IMG_5528.jpeg.b903b640ac8aafee190aea1e5a27ad7f.jpeg

• Like 2