Another Santorini Cable Car Thread....

capecruzer

So, there's four ships on 9/28 coming into Santorini, 3 at 8 am (two of them are smaller, one large) and ours EPIC not until 1 pm.  One of the small ships leaves at 5, the other smaller one at 10, the larger one at 9, and us also at 10.  My thoughts, and I'm writing this to get others' perspectives, is that the cable car should not be an issue going up  in the early afternoon (1-2p).  I question whether it will be an issue getting back down via cable car between 6 and 8pm?  What time would you think most people are headed back to their ship?  I'd just as soon watch the sunset from the ship and hoping to get off, do some window shopping and a cocktail or two and head back.  So, head up at 1:30, head back down at 5:30....would that avoid major crowds at the cable car in your opinion?

I was on the GEM last Sept 28, 2pm to 10pm. Also in port, COSTA 7am-4pm with 2700 pax and a WINDSTAR 8am-9pm with 200 pax.   I certainly didn't expect a line for the cable car. Even though we were on the 2nd tender we still stood in line for 2 hrs !!!   It was brutal. 

In hindsight we should have taken the water taxi to Amoudi Bay for 25/30E.   It sat at the pier for just over an hr hoping to collect more pax.  But I didn't think we'd be in line for another hour!  And realistically my travel partner couldn't have managed the stairs if the cable line was too busy on th return. 

On a positive note, we decided to watch the sunset from the ship so we headed to the cable car counter around 6:30/7pm and there was NO ONE in line.  Same sunset and no crowds!  Plus it was wonderful to watch the lights slowly come on all along the cliff side.

Good luck!

Posted (edited)

I was in Santorini last October (Celebrity Reflection), and there were 4 (maybe 5) other ships in on the same day. They were staggered, but this didnt seem to do much,

We were first ship in and second tender ashore, got to Oia by local bus at about 08:30, it was lovely, stopped for a Coffee, and came out into the street at 09:30 - madness. 6 deep everywhere, people trying to hold back tens of others to get their perfect picture. Queue's for every restaurant.

We didn't know how soon to get back to the ship, and that's when the real fun began. Two hours queue for the cable car down (this at about 2pm, and with staggered departures) in the blazing sun, and as well as about a dozen observed verbal arguments, there was an actual fist fight in the queue. No organisaion, no attendants anywhere, they kust take your money and wash their hands.

People coming back later (*our ship didn't sail till 22:00, reported similar queue's and our reps had to walk back for fear of missing the ship/ Many people who had been to Santorini before didn't even bother going ashore, now we know why.

The best part of Santorini, is looking at photgraphes online. Its ruined.

Sheer greed on behalf of whoever Runs (or doesn't run) the islands tourism industry.

No way I'd set foot again on that island.  RUINED.

Edited by mikeharbour

Although we have been to Santorini more than a dozen time (and will again be there tomorrow) we cannot answer the OPs question.  Why?  The cable car can only move around 600 (in each direction) per hour.  The alternative is to walk down (around 600 steps).  Those are the facts and most else is speculation.

Hank.