New to HAL... info on gty cabins

Good day everyone,

Though my husband and I have cruised quite a bit, our upcoming cruise this summer will be our first on Holland America. We've booked a balcony/veranda gty cabin, and I'm wondering when HAL typically might assign those types of cabins.  I know there isn't a set schedule, but perhaps there's a pattern that has been observed? 

Thanks 🙂 

Anytime between 2 weeks before sailing and when you get to the port for embarkation.  At about the 2 week mark, just check every day and you might be surprised.  If you never see an assignment, don't worry, you'll have a cabin when you get there! 🙂

• Like 1

I have also read two weeks up until sailing, with about a week being most typical. We will be on our first HAL cruise next month and our assignment surprisingly came a month ahead, maybe because our cruise is sold out.

My best advice is don’t do it.  Call now and pay to pick.  I just got off the phone with my own niece and her agent and did just this.  She was assigned a terrible location 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2024 at 7:38 PM, nunuc2000 said:

Good day everyone,

Though my husband and I have cruised quite a bit, our upcoming cruise this summer will be our first on Holland America. We've booked a balcony/veranda gty cabin, and I'm wondering when HAL typically might assign those types of cabins.  I know there isn't a set schedule, but perhaps there's a pattern that has been observed? 

Thanks 🙂 

If it is a Pinnacle ship I would advise asking if Club Orange is available, you pay $15 per day and get to chose your own cabin in the veranda class.

If it is not a Pinnacle ship the price difference is not usually worth it (for me) and I would do as others suggest and pay for a cabin of your choice.

I always like to choose my own cabin and location.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/activity-types/dining/club-orange/Club_Orange_Benefits.pdf

3 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

If it is a Pinnacle ship I would advise asking if Club Orange is available, you pay $15 per day and get to chose your own cabin in the veranda class.

If it is not a Pinnacle ship the price difference is not usually worth it (for me) and I would do as others suggest and pay for a cabin of your choice.

I always like to choose my own cabin and location.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/activity-types/dining/club-orange/Club_Orange_Benefits.pdf

I agree with your advice, but the $15 per day cost of Club Orange is only for cruises that are greater than 13 days in length.  It is $25 per day for cruises that are 13 days or less in length.

4 hours ago, TAW1963 said:

I agree with your advice, but the $15 per day cost of Club Orange is only for cruises that are greater than 13 days in length.  It is $25 per day for cruises that are 13 days or less in length.

It was all in the attachment and to be honest who wants to do a cruise less than 13 days!😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

It was all in the attachment and to be honest who wants to do a cruise less than 13 days!😁

That's for sure! 😀