width of doors on QM2

DRS/NC

I've my heart set on a TA trip on QM2 for my 80th birthday in 2025. 

However, my travel agent has not been able to locate/book a handicapped cabin (I use a scooter for mobility).

Therefore, I'm considering a regular balcony cabin -- if I can get a scooter in it!

I've rented a 19" wide scooter in the past; it fit thru the cabin door on a Princess ship w/a 21" door.

Does anyone know the width of a QM2 door?

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

Yes, I do and the link is here but, you will not allowed a scooter in a cabin unless it is 'on the list' or in a specially adapted cabin, which you say isn't available for you.

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/accessibility/accessibility-on-board

specifically for QM2

https://www.cunard.com/content/dam/cunard/marketing-assets/pdf/accessibility-pdfs/qm2-nonaccessiblestaterooms.pdf

as you can see, for non adapted cabins, that means PG or QG

Edited by Victoria2

9 hours ago, david63 said:

I would also add that Carnival UK have become very strict about this and if you do not follow the rules then you run the risk of being denied boarding.

There is no risk involved as risk implies 'a possibility'.

A scooter will not be allowed in a non designated cabin so the scooter and passenger will be denied boarding.

Also interesting, if assistance is required, notification must be given on booking as Cunard and P&O have REALLY tightened up [even for those who just rely on walking sticks now] on passengers on board who require this help in the case of emergencies at sea.

As an interested party, I had a long conversation with our agent over this and he explained quite a few points I hadn't even considered but which, to be fair, don't apply to us as we always book on cabin release date and book a suitable cabin too.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

There is no risk involved as risk implies 'a possibility'.

I knowingly used the term "risk" as there is always the remote possibility that something could change between now and boarding

2 minutes ago, david63 said:

I knowingly used the term "risk" as there is always the remote possibility that something could change between now and boarding

This is potentially giving 'hope' to any mobility challenged passenger thinking of booking which is giving false information.

I try to give facts, not risky potential hope. Occasionally I know I get it wrong, but not in this case. 🙂

• Like 2

Getting a scooter through the door is only 5% of the problem.  Finding a place to park it once inside is the other 95% of the problem.  Some years ago we had a post from a passanger who was in your situation: No HC cabins were available so she booked a standard one and showed up with an undeclared scooter.  After assuring the check-in agents that her scooter folded, and she would manage just fine, she was permitted to board. 

You can probably guess how this went.  She wrote a dissertation here about her difficulties in stowing it. And complained about the delays in getting a shower seat that she never told Cunard would be needed until after she had boarded the ship.  So after letting her board the ship with an undeclared scooter Cunard gets a negative review about how callus, inattentive, and mean they were toward a passenger with reduced motility. 

If you are in the US the current scooter policy can be found here:Wheelchairs and motility scooters

• Like 2

**Assistance Requirements**
In the unlikely event of an emergency, it is important we have sufficient and
specific support for guests who require additional assistance, and we have
advance notice of this. Please read the following declaration of assistance
needs for your voyage, even if you are travelling with someone who can support
you. Guests who are unable to get to their assembly stations independently
(which could involve several flights of stairs as lifts will not be available)
due to a disability, health, or mental capacity must be pre-registered for
assistance to ensure we have sufficient support. Failure to provide this could
result in being denied boarding at your own expense. If you do require
assistance using the below statements, please advise us of the level of
assistance required.
*Someone to guide and steady me on the stairs (121 assistance) For anyone
bringing a mobility aid this is a recommended minimum requirement.
*I'm unable to use stairs (emergency evacuation chair) For anyone who is a full
/part time wheelchair or mobility scooter user this is a mandatory requirement.

• Like 1

Thanks, Everyone, for your responses.  I see that I must adjust my "dream cruise".  It won't be next summer (2025) on QM2.

I've never had any problem getting a cabin on Princess & getting a scooter into it, even when it wasn't HA.  I had no idea that Cunard had such a strict policy.  That's why CC is so helpful.

Maybe I'll have better luck w/a fall date.  More work for my travel agent.

• Like 1