Packing for Norwegian Fjords – Help?

Hi everyone!

IMG_7806.thumb.JPG.39046d197913762f8c952317edc51ee9.JPGI'm a solo, male traveler leaving for Amsterdam tomorrow to board a Norwegian Fjords cruise on Celebrity this weekend. And, I could use your advice! The cruise is 8 days, visiting 5 ports, but I'll also be spending 3 days in Amsterdam before and a week in Germany afterward.

Given that, I'm trying to pack for all the things I might encounter – cold weather, warm weather, rain, sun, formal nights, etc. Right now, my pingpong table is FULL of clothes for all the things, and I need help narrowing things down. I plan on doing laundry, so I don't need to pack for all 21 days, but what things would you pack (and how many) clothing-wise noting this itinerary? What should I leave out? At this rate I think I could fill 17 suitcases (okay maybe 3), and I definitely don't want that 🤣

I'm going to follow this. I see people who say, "I went to Europe for an 11-month odyssey and brought everything I needed in a manila envelope." Really?!  How am I supposed to pack for cold weather, formal nights, layers in case it's warm, rainy weather, and more in a carry-on suitcase? 

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

I'm going to follow this. I see people who say, "I went to Europe for an 11-month odyssey and brought everything I needed in a manila envelope." Really?!  How am I supposed to pack for cold weather, formal nights, layers in case it's warm, rainy weather, and more in a carry-on suitcase? 

AMEN!!! 😆

22 minutes ago, JohnAlleb77 said:

Next days, and over the weekend, the temperatures are high for early may. 

You can check the weather forecast for each port here : https://www.yr.no/en

Thank you! I totally get that – but still fairly chilly, while some of the days in Germany later on are pretty warm. Should be a temperature swing adventure! 

We're checking the weather all the time too but any forecast beyond 3 days is pretty iffy so you need to be ready for anything. And that means more clothes in the suitcase!

• Like 1

Layers. Your cold weather clothes are just a combination of your warm weather clothes and your cooler weather clothes. e.g. a short-sleeved wicking tee shirt under a fleece jacket or sweatshirt with a GoreTex rain jacket on top. Mix and match based on temperature, wind, and precipitation.

(As for formal wear, women definitely have this one easier. I have a floor-length moisture wicking black dress that I could wear to a hot day on the beach, wear warm tights underneath and throw on a coat and pashmina scarf, or flatten out the pashmina and use it as a wrap to wear the free for a formal dinner. I have no idea what the men do.)

Just returned from the Euribia, Norway.  All I can say is that it's 100% true that you can get all 4 seasons in one day!  Cold and drizzly in the morning, but by late afternoon there were folks out sunbathing! DH and I completely overpacked and regretted it when lugging our suitcases back yesterday.

On 4/30/2024 at 11:11 AM, BuckeyeMark said:

This is my *Favorite Comment Ever*!!!  And what if you significant other happens to be a rather tall, slightly fluffy American man?  It's not like the size 4 teenie weenie girls who can stuff everything into a backpack?  Heck, hubbies shoes must weigh a couple pounds 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh we leave next week and I looked at the weather and it is warm. Low 70's sound lovely, but when it looks like 80 degrees in Oslo, that starts getting hot. We were in the Baltics a few years ago in July and it was a heat wave - 90% of the things I packed were too heavy and I ended up wearing tennis skirts and tops every.single.day. I'm really hoping it won't be that warm this June.