Cabins with portholes even worth it on Sovereign?

Considering a 3 night cruise on the Sovereign. This would be just a quick get-away so not wanting to spend a lot of $$. We've travelled on RCCL many times and when cruising for 7 + days we always get a balcony. This is our first time on a ship the size and age of the SOS. Looking at photos of the outside of the ship, it appears the portholes on deck 2 and 3 are so small that you won't really be able to see anything out of them. Is it worth $40 to move from an inside cabin to an oceanview with a porthole? From the looks of it, it appears all the porthole will do is let some daylight in (?).

We have been on SOS 3 times and always had a porthole. We like to have light in the morning and I like to be able to look out and see what is going on out there! The last time our cabin was on deck 2 and I will never do that again! The seas were pretty rough and the ships stabilizers were right below us, so you could hear them all day and night. It was a horrible creaking noise.:mad:

We are planning on booking Sovereign for October and I am considering an inside cabin, but DH says he really wants the porthole, so he may change my mind.

I'll be interested in others answers to your question.

I had an OV cabin on the Sovereign in January, my first ever non-balcony cabin. It was fine. Now, I had a window, not a porthole, but I don't think that it would have made any difference. Personally, I don't think that I could deal with an inside, but many people swear by 'em. I need SOME reassurance that the real world is out there. :)

Deck three is VERY convenient, by the way - good location. You'll only care about using an elevator if you're going all the way up to the pool deck or windjammer. Otherwise, stairs will get you where you want to go from Deck 3.

Had an inside cabin on our 1st cruise, it was fine but without the natural light it was kind of closet like with the lights out.I think the extra 40 bucks for the port hole would be well worth it.

Had an inside cabin on our 1st cruise, it was fine but without the natural light it was kind of closet like with the lights out.I think the extra 40 bucks for the port hole would be well worth it.
Since chorder used this specific phrasing, I'll have to agree - an inside cabin on the Sovereign is *already* the SIZE of a closet - having no window would just increase that sensation! ;)

Without a doubt, go for the porthole! Our first cruise on SOS was an inside. We didn't know if it was night or day outside. It left me disoriented much of the time. Our second cruise on the SOS, we got the porthole...MUCH better.

A little bit of natural light does wonders.

We just returned last night from our second four nighter on the Sovereign and have had a port side deck 4 oceanview each time-- It is nice because you wake up to sunshine and get to look out and see where you are (port side)-I just would not want to go to bed in the dark and wake up in the dark!! personal preferance I guess but what the heck $ 40 bucks is worth it -Don't you think???HAPPY SAILING and enjoy!!!!:D

I LIKE porthole cabins.:) I have booked them for my past coupla cruises. I've had inside only once, and I felt very closed in. The portholes allow you to "see the sea", and have that natural light. I've also had OV cabins, but since the porthole cabins are much less in price, that's what I usually book. I do have an OV cabin booked for an upcoming RCI cruise - there were no porthole cabins available.

I would go for the port hole. It's just a personal opinion, but I don't think I could stand not being able to see what was going on outside! Many people like them, but an inside cabin would be like being in a dungeon to me. Some say they don't stay in the room much anyway for it to make a difference, but for what time I'm in the room it's worth it to be able to see daylight. Have a great trip!

We were on deck 2 of Soveregn while doing a cheapie girl's getaway one time. Didn't notice any engine or stabilizer noises. However we were close to the stairwell and one morning were awaken by this strange: Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding. Every couple of seconds and wondered what on earth??? Turns out we were hearing the seapass cards being swiped as passengers got off the ship first thing in the morning. :D

Thanks for the all the feedback. From the above messages it appears that for the slight difference in cost, a porthole is the way to go. The only decision now is deck 2 or deck 3? There are a couple of mid-ship rooms available on each deck.

I had an OV cabin on the Sovereign in January, my first ever non-balcony cabin. It was fine. Now, I had a window, not a porthole, but I don't think that it would have made any difference. Personally, I don't think that I could deal with an inside, but many people swear by 'em. I need SOME reassurance that the real world is out there. :)

Deck three is VERY convenient, by the way - good location. You'll only care about using an elevator if you're going all the way up to the pool deck or windjammer. Otherwise, stairs will get you where you want to go from Deck 3.

Carol, how did you like your JS on the Sovereign? I have one for June. I know that they are smaller than the new ships or so I've read. I am on the port side all the way back in the last cabin on deck ten.

All good posts regarding the portholes here! We're going on our second cruise, and we're once again booked for inside cabins. First cruise was on Grandeur and this one's the Explorer; slightly bigger cabins, but all the same nontheless.

After reading this stuff, maybe next time we'll spring the extra $40 for a porthole cabin, and I very much agree with the poster who said they don't like going to bed in the total dark and waking up with the same experience - it DOES get pitch black in those inside cabins!

But overall we STILL will have fun on the cruise!

Buckaneergirl - thanks for the heads up! Unfortunately I'll be keeping my OV cabin on Deck 2 because it's close to the cabins of my DD, DSIL, DS and DDIL who'll be taking their first cruise. We want to stay near each other their first time around so hopefully the stabilizers won't bother my sister and me much in our OV.

I sure do appreciate all the info about the Sovereign! I've cruised aboard the "big" ships in the past but I'm really looking forward to our four-day cruise on a smaller, more easily explored ship as a change of pace.

Of course, any cruise anywhere anytime is exciting to me!

Cindy

Buckaneergirl - thanks for the heads up! Unfortunately I'll be keeping my OV cabin on Deck 2 because it's close to the cabins of my DD, DSIL, DS and DDIL who'll be taking their first cruise. We want to stay near each other their first time around so hopefully the stabilizers won't bother my sister and me much in our OV.

I sure do appreciate all the info about the Sovereign! I've cruised aboard the "big" ships in the past but I'm really looking forward to our four-day cruise on a smaller, more easily explored ship as a change of pace.

Of course, any cruise anywhere anytime is exciting to me!

Cindy

I think that you will be pleasantly surprised by the SOS. She is a great ship. Not really so small either. I can't wait until June when I get to go again.

I'm also going to be on her in June. This will be the first cruise for DD 25yo and DS 17yo. I can't wait. I am a little concern about keeping my son busy. He is very athletic, football, wrestling, and track. Any comments or insight?

I'm also going to be on her in June. This will be the first cruise for DD 25yo and DS 17yo. I can't wait. I am a little concern about keeping my son busy. He is very athletic, football, wrestling, and track. Any comments or insight?

Due to the time of year that you're going, you son will more than likely find many other kids his age and if so you probably won't see much of him. They do have a basketball court, not a full court but large enough for a good number to play. I don't think that you need to worry as he will be fine.

On CoCo Cay, there are basketball and beach volleyball courts. He can also snorkel, scuba and jetski. He can be as active as he wants all day long, not only on board, but on the port days!

Archived