Drinks package/policy changes?

5 minutes ago, Lee Jones Jnr said:

Which lines will you be cruising with instead?

Who knows, but I certainly wouldn't pay that sort of money for a P&O cruise, adult only or not.

Perhaps it's time for land based for a while.

• Like 1

Look.

if the only reason you book P&O is that you can take the alcohol of your choice to drink on your balcony is taken away, you will be cheesed off.

The P&O choice of quality spirits is very poor.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Out of interest I note that quite a lot of the policy change  subtly mentions a lot about responsible drinking, which with some of the behaviours and antics witnessed and reported on some cruises over the past year or so isn't really a surprise.

However can anyone enlighten me as to the following, please?

"Why are you changing the alcohol policy?

We've reviewed our alcohol policy and decided to align with the cruise industry to adhere to HESS guidelines around our responsibility to serve alcohol."

What are HESS guidelines, and does anyone know what they say?  I'm quite intrigued.  

Health, Environmental, Safety & Security Committees | Carnival Corporation & plc

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

What are HESS guidelines, and does anyone know what they say?  I'm quite intrigued.  

Only know of Rudolf Hess but in a hotel environment they might say it’s best you don’t mention the war😉.

coming Sybil

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Out of interest I note that quite a lot of the policy change  subtly mentions a lot about responsible drinking, which with some of the behaviours and antics witnessed and reported on some cruises over the past year or so isn't really a surprise.

However can anyone enlighten me as to the following, please?

"Why are you changing the alcohol policy?

We've reviewed our alcohol policy and decided to align with the cruise industry to adhere to HESS guidelines around our responsibility to serve alcohol."

Some info here. Being the cynic I am this is being used as cover to push people to spend a few quid more in the bars.

https://theinsider.carnivalukgroup.com/what-we-stand-for-2/hess/

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, posford said:

Total rubbish.

Drink packages encourage excess drinking.

So does people bringing own alcohol onboard. Have to admit on a few taster cruises. The young adults drunk, peeing on deck 7 etc

Edited by carlanthony24
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, S1971 said:

Laughable, they'll encourage you to take an alcohol package which allows 15 alcoholic drinks a day, then hide behind a healthy & safety to stop you taking a bottle or two onboard.

Laughable but crew are trained to not serve intoxicated people. If someone wants to get drunk immediately over the course of 15 drinks and not spread them out not only are they going to lose that privilege but end up with far worse consequences. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Peter Lanky said:

The solution is simple:

In a pub I drink ale, the wine is usually mediocre anyway.

When at home I drink wine; all sorts of it.

On a P&O Cruise I just have a Scotch nightcap in the cabin, but looks like it's teetotal if I ever go on another, which is unlikely.

On an Azamara/Silversea/Oceania cruise I drink to my heart's content.

All options covered. 😀

But you cannot compare P&O with Azamara/Silversea/Oceania as they are different standard and far higher cruise prices. You could drink a considerable amount on P&O and still be paying a lot less.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 7

Carlanthony24. No it doesn’t,

One litre per person is 40 single tots or 20 doubles.

14 day cruise, 1.4 double tots per day.

is that excess drinking.  I think not

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, posford said:

Carlanthony24. No it doesn’t,

One litre per person is 40 single tots or 20 doubles.

14 day cruise, 1.4 double tots per day.

is that excess drinking.  I think not

To you obviously you know the limit but others like already mentioned young adults literally do not measure a single or double. They could bring 2 bottles of Vodka, a bottle of gin onboard you name it they would be gone in a instance. It has already been mentioned previously by others the hassle they have had to put up with.

Edited by carlanthony24

2 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

Laughable but crew are trained to not serve intoxicated people. If someone wants to get drunk immediately over the course of 15 drinks and not spread them out not only are they going to lose that privilege but end up with far worse consequences. 

Hang on a minute, in your previous post you said "the young adults drunk peeing  on deck 7" now you're saying the crew are trained not to serve drunk people. It doesn't make any sense.

2 minutes ago, S1971 said:

Hang on a minute, in your previous post you said "the young adults drunk peeing  on deck 7" now you're saying the crew are trained not to serve drunk people. It doesn't make any sense.

This was quite a way back but yeah they are trained to not serve drunk people. Then again these ones were not going to bars you could see them carrying bottles around from the cabin.

1 hour ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Lots of people walk around with bottles of wine,,,I always buy the DP now but used to buy the Wine package for my wife,,,I drink Guinness and Jameson’s.

Most night she would take the opened bottle out of the restaurant to finish in the bar…….maybe this is what others do.

I did read one cruise line has stopped storing wine after diner to be drank the next night,,,can’t remember which.

If you purchase bottles of wine in MDR for dinner on Arvia/Iona and you don't finish it in the past on other ships they would store it for you until next night. But on Arvia/Iona you have to take it with you and either drink it one of the bars or store it in your cabin and bring it back with you for dinner the next night.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

If you purchase bottles of wine in MDR for dinner on Arvia/Iona and you don't finish it in the past on other ships they would store it for you until next night. But on Arvia/Iona you have to take it with you and either drink it one of the bars or store it in your cabin and bring it back with you for dinner the next night.

Thanks

I thought it was those ships,,,I wasn’t sure.

3 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

This was quite a way back but yeah they are trained to not serve drunk people. Then again these ones were not going to bars you could see them carrying bottles around from the cabin.

Well unfortunately that's P&O's own fault, this obviously occurred prior to this announcement therefore those onboard shouldn't of allowed people to walk around with open bottles of spirit, inline with the policy that was already in place.

My last I put on this.

It is all down to profit.  Nothing else.

If it is all down to people like me spending about £20000 per year on P&O cruises, year on year, cancelling, perhaps they will realise it was not a good change.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Don’t know what the problem is,,,buy a bottle from room service.

You can buy a bottle of Jameson’s for £26,,,,cheaper than Asda at £33.

IMG_2742.thumb.jpeg.c18b324ed722bb6047657282531d19f4.jpeg

Smirnoff Vodka also cheaper onboard compared to Tesco and Sainsbury's but Asda is selling is cheaper than P&O. 

3 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Don’t know what the problem is,,,buy a bottle from room service.

You can buy a bottle of Jameson’s for £26,,,,cheaper than Asda at £33.

IMG_2742.thumb.jpeg.c18b324ed722bb6047657282531d19f4.jpeg

But that would surely be a  contradiction of the HESS policy mentioned earlier, unless of course you can't have it until you disembark, if not it stinks of profiteering.

Posted (edited)

Pre loading has been a problem ashore for some time. The LGA were looking into it some timecback in 2016 as police and local councils were growing very concerned about problems, particularly in connurbations.   Perhaps P&O is looking to stop the possibility of pre loading, particularly as it is fairly normal practice amongst some age groups.  As the cruise demographic is changing so too will the different sections of society's attitude to what is the accepted norm. Nip it in the bud perhaps.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

Pre loading has been a problem ashore for some time. The LGA were looking into it some back in 2016 as police and local councils were growing very concerned about problems, particularly in connurbations.   Perhaps P&O is looking to stop the possibility of pre loading, particularly as it is fairly normal practice amongst some age groups.  As the cruise demographic is changing so too will the different sections of society's attitude to what is the accepted norm. Nip it in the bud perhaps.

So with that in mind, they should stop selling alcohol packages and bottles in the shop, revert back to selling in onboard bars only.

3 minutes ago, posford said:

My last I put on this.

It is all down to profit.  Nothing else.

If it is all down to people like me spending about £20000 per year on P&O cruises, year on year, cancelling, perhaps they will realise it was not a good change.

Good luck RCL, NCL, MSC, Princess to name a few don't let it happen so in the grand scheme of things P&O are now following other lines. Enjoy finding a line that will accept.

This may be a cynical view but how long will it be before P&O stop selling room service alcohol or when you attempt to purchase a bottle of your favourite tipple they've run out of stock.