Seattle to Sydney via Hawaii - Customs/Immigration Question

WWD

So I am in the USA (entered legally) but overstayed my visa (dumb I know). Long story but wife likely kicking me out so I'm like screw this I'm going to travel the world for a bit.

I have my visa for Australia and my passport allows me into the rest of the places ... but ... going out of Seattle and into/out of Hawaii before heading to the islands and then Sydney. - do they check docs/passports or anything? As its US-US-SYD can I get off the ship in Hawaii, should I stay on board and if I do will they get me 😂?

As I'm leaving, likely forever unless the wife changes her mind - will the USA care - I've not intention of staying in Hawaii so I'm basically deporting myself.

No judgements just want to know if I'm going to get screwed in Hawaii or not even let on the ship. TIA

On 5/4/2024 at 11:44 PM, WWD said:

but ... going out of Seattle and into/out of Hawaii before heading to the islands and then Sydney. - do they check docs/passports or anything? As its US-US-SYD can I get off the ship in Hawaii, should I stay on board and if I do will they get me 😂?

Are you sure it is sailing from Seattle to Hawaii? Usually this is from Vancouver to Hawaii as sailing between two US ports like this on a foreign flagged ship (without stopping in a distant foreign port first) is illegal. 

Let's say the ship is sailing Seattle to Hawaii (which I don't think it is). In this case, with an expired visa, the cruise line would most likely not allow you to board the ship in the first place. They're not going to police you on a port stop to Hawaii-- they are just going to wash their hands of you and not allow you on in the first place. If the ship is departing Vancouver, and you don't have a valid or renewed visa, the cruise line also most likely will deny you boarding. 

• Like 1

Princeton may have been able to understand the question(s) you asked, I couldn't really follow.

No you don't need to show a passport or other documents, other than a government issued ID when boarding an airplane to fly between U.S. cities.

If you are saying you are on the Westerdam leaving Seattle on October 24, 58 days to Sydney, with 2 stops in HI, I don't know what travel documents HAL will require for you to board. I don't know if HAL requires VISA documents on a cruise leaving the U.S. or traveling in the U.S.

I'd ask them or ask in the HAL Forums.

5 hours ago, KeepCalmBearOn said:

No you don't need to show a passport or other documents, other than a government issued ID when boarding an airplane to fly between U.S. cities.

Right, nor do you need to when flying between the Mainland and Hawaii but I think there would be much more scrutiny in the case of a ship sailing from the Mainland to Hawaii going to Sydney to the point where the OP's lack of a US visa might be unearthed.