Silver dawn dress code

TR1963

On the informal nights on silver dawn do they strictly enforce the’ jackets rule ‘for the men? Will slacks and a button down shirt suffice for the Main dining venue?

It depends on the restaurant manager. Some strictly enforce the dress code and will turn you away, some seat you and put a spare jacket on the back of your chair, some don't question how anyone dresses. I wouldn't chance it. Take a blazer to add to your slacks and shirt.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The dress code on all Silversea ships has now changed.  Casual/Elegant with optional formal nights is the new standard.  Check the website.  I copied the updated information below.  A jacket is required for the Formal Optional evenings and La Dame - not a big deal. Bringing one sport coat along on cruise should not be a problem.

Silver Dawn, Silver Spirit, Silver Muse, Silver Moon, and Silver Whisper, effective for sailings departing on or after the 21st of April 2024

Silver Shadow, effective for sailings departing on or after the 26th of May 2024.

Silversea operates an onboard dress code after 6 pm.

During the day, casual wear, similar to five-star resort sportswear, is suitable for daytime activities. It is recommended to wear flat or low-heeled shoes for deck activities. 

Evening wear falls into two categories:

• Elegant Casual: On casual evenings, ladies may opt for trousers, a blouse, a skirt, or a casual dress, while gentlemen may wear an open-collar shirt and slacks. A jacket is optional.
  • Formal Optional: May choose a more formal attire, such as an evening gown or cocktail dress for ladies and a tuxedo, dinner jacket, or dark suit with a tie for gentlemen. Alternatively, adhering to Elegant Casual dress code is welcomed, but a jacket is still required for gentlemen in all indoor spaces.

Regardless of the daily dress code:

• After 6 pm, indoor spaces prohibit jeans, shorts, sneakers, or flip-flop-type footwear.
  • Casual wear is always suitable in outdoor venues.
  • Gentlemen dining at La Dame restaurants are required to wear a jacket.

The number of formal evenings depends on the length of the voyage. A guideline for reference is below:

• On sailings of 7 days or fewer, Elegant Casual nights throughout.
  • On sailings of 8-14 days, expect between 1 to 2 Formal Optional nights.
  • On sailings of 15 days or more, expect 2 or more Formal Optional nights.
Edited by LAL Cruiser
  • Thanks 1

On the Muse now.  I have seen jeans and sandals on men on Casual Elegant nights and no one has said a word to the folks.  At least nice slacks, nice shirt and closed toe shoes should be required of men.

36 minutes ago, bohaiboy said:

On the Muse now.  I have seen jeans and sandals on men on Casual Elegant nights and no one has said a word to the folks.  At least nice slacks, nice shirt and closed toe shoes should be required of men.

At the very least! 

• Like 1

On a past cruise, I left my jacket on the kitchen bar stool at home.  I was denied entry to Tge Restaurant.  They found a jacket for me to wear from the mailer D station to the table but it was 2 sizes too small.  Looked ridiculous.  I was able to take it off and enjoy my meal without wearing a jacket.  I did have a tie however 

On Silversea website it shows the information that LAL cruiser posted though on the post here it isn’t showing the informal casual evenings where it states men must wear a jacket in the indoor venues after 6 pm.   I’m not sure how this is missing from the post on here but just incase someone thinks they won’t require a jacket.   Everything else was the same ie coming into effect from 21st April 2024.   For clarification just go to the Silversea website.  

1 hour ago, Tudorcruisers said:

On Silversea website it shows the information that LAL cruiser posted though on the post here it isn’t showing the informal casual evenings where it states men must wear a jacket in the indoor venues after 6 pm.   I’m not sure how this is missing from the post on here but just incase someone thinks they won’t require a jacket.   Everything else was the same ie coming into effect from 21st April 2024.   For clarification just go to the Silversea website.  

Not wanting to turn this into yet another endless dress code thread, but the website clearly states that Elegant Casual nights " a jacket is optional".  The paragraph covering Formal Optional nights states: alternatively, adhering to Elegant Casual dress code is welcomed, but a jacket is still required for gentlemen in all indoor spaces. 

Common sense would tell me that on 'jacket optional' nights it wouldn't make sense for men to have to run back to the cabin to get a jacket to wander around the ship  Ergo, elegant casual = jacket optional / Formal Optional = jacket required.

I’m bewildered by the obsession by how angry people get about what others are wearing.  There is enough to compromise holiday enjoyment without fretting about what other people are wearing.  And trajectory is with me. Everything that everybody has said is currently correct for themselves but isn’t sensibly sustainable.  The reason why all this debate is heading for an obvious implosion is simply this.

Halfway through the last century when I was a toddler, mumsy imposed on me everyday what I must wear.  As I progressed in life, I took over  those choices and in the end I was sufficiently confident, irritating  and empowered to decide on any given day what I would wear. Except for school uniform when  I submitted and gave up for a few years until I was thankfully expelled.  

After this I decided where and what I might wear and spend my money on and what I might eat.

So when eating out and when not going on an over-priced ship with extremely disappointing food I sort of left it at the point that others would wear what they want and I would never be too perturbed by what they were wearing but simply enjoyed that what cemented us all together in common food suffering and what we commonly enjoyed at the moment was the meal we were all eating.  I would never “tut” or judge others unless they smelt of something.  I liked that we were all happy in our own way and laughing and being happy and getting to know each other.  And at the same time I ensured as best I could that I wouldn’t smell of anything ie perfume or anything bodily. So why on earth going forward should sensible people claim that the enjoyment of their meal on a ship has been compromised by someone else who isn’t wearing a tie on a table somewhere away from them.  If I like them dressed up as a Christmas tree then why should they object to me being unsmelly and casually lovely as I always am. 

Everyone can rationalise why I am wrong but what they might better need to confront is that it might better to shrug and accept the trajectory of life.  

If the response to this opinion is anger .. well so be it.  But if I’m an ill-informed idiot and you wish to educate me then be kind and explain. 

Jeff

• Like 2

Thank you all for your help. I am not sure why 'they' have to make it so complicated and confusing. Why can't those who are writing these policies just be very clear --- what does 'open collar shirt' for men mean---a polo shirt or a collared button-down shirt?.  If a jacket is not required than they should just clearly state so. If it is required, state that clearly as well. It is quite obvious that if someone wants to dress in their formal wear with complete with tiara no one will tell them they must take such attire off.  

Sorry to rant on all of you it's just frustrating.  I am trying to pack light and efficient.  Even when I call Silver Sea the reps who answer the phone do not even know that there has been a policy change! 

Happy travels everyone and if you'd like I can post a clear answer after my cruise. :)

• Like 1

To be honest, I'm slightly paranoid right now as I'm about to try Silversea for the first time, having come from Regent's slightly more laid back dress code.  The last thing I want is for a bunch of seasoned cruisers onboard giving me the eyeball for misinterpreting the dress standards.

We've only just considered SS as we are happy with less formal requirements, so I want to make sure that I can manage with a jacket on formal optional and a dress shirt on other nights.  I'm pretty sure I'm reading the new conditions accurately, so here's hoping!!

8 minutes ago, ikelmay said:

To be honest, I'm slightly paranoid right now as I'm about to try Silversea for the first time, having come from Regent's slightly more laid back dress code.  The last thing I want is for a bunch of seasoned cruisers onboard giving me the eyeball for misinterpreting the dress standards.

We've only just considered SS as we are happy with less formal requirements, so I want to make sure that I can manage with a jacket on formal optional and a dress shirt on other nights.  I'm pretty sure I'm reading the new conditions accurately, so here's hoping!!

I so hope my post didn’t put you off balance in any way.  It was my general observation.

For what it is worth, I think (I know) you are on the right track and suggest you push on and enjoy things.  Your main obligation is to enjoy yourself.  Just drink a bit more and worry an awful lot less.  

It’d be great if you posted back about your experience. 

• Like 1

We have a 25 trio coming up so a blazer will worn but since they say nothing about shoes other than closed( thank goodness)  my sllbirds will be on my feet 

I certainly have seen men offered a jacket and tie on formal nights at Atlantide. I have seen men turned away for not wearing a jacket but I can't remember a man wearing a jacket butno tie ever been turned away.

As to shoes I had a very sore toe for a few days. My Sketchers were much more comfortable and are black so I wore them on 2 formal nights and no one commented.

But on the classic ships I can;t see why you would not take a jacket. It does not have to take up extra room in your bags. I just wear it onto the plane.

I am on the Dawn now.  The new dress code is in effect.  There are only "Elegant Casual" and "Formal Optional" evenings.

On Elegant Casual nights a jacket is definitely not required.  About 50% men wore a jacket in the Atlantide nevertheless.

Just finished dinner on a Formal Optional night at the Atlantide.  About 10-15% men wore tuxedoes.  Almost all men had a jacket, I guess 50% with ties.  

You will be fine.